• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stainless-Topped Bench for reloading?

usafabrad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2012
Norcal
Gents,

I have a stainless steel top workbench that I've used for years. I'm looking to branch out and start reloading in the near future. What issues do you forsee in using a bench top like this? I was thinkining it might make a digital scale hard to zero, but besides that, what other problems might I encounter?

Ground it like Victor says. Go to your local installer of granite counter tops and get a piece that is left over when the cut out is made for a sink. Place the scale on it. It dampens any vibrations.

Ground it like Victor says. Go to your local installer of granite counter tops and get a piece that is left over when the cut out is made for a sink. Place the scale on it. It dampens any vibrations.

I went by the local monument place and bought a "mistake" stone that the family didn't like after the man died. Turn it over and it's fine. $25 for a nice heavy granite slab. My laboratory scale sits on it.

One issue with a stainless bench top is drilling holes in it. Harder to do that with other materials.

My reloading bench top is covered with matte white laminate. Easy to clean. Easy to see parts and spills.

One issue with a stainless bench top is drilling holes in it. Harder to do that with other materials.

My reloading bench top is covered with matte white laminate. Easy to clean. Easy to see parts and spills.
This was my thought too. Stainless especially is a bitch to drill.

Make a plate of 1/2 inch mild steel. Drill and tap it for what ever presses you want. Bolt it to the stainless top. Problem solved. JMHO

Mine is not stainless but it is steel and has no effect on powder scales. Depending on the type of stainless you have it may or may not have magnetic propertys but it won't make any difference either way.

Thickness might though, I only used 1/8" steel for my table top so I made a 5" truss for the perimeter and added cross braces where things mounted. I also added power outlets under the bottom and the boxes are welded to the table so when you plug it into the wall, the bench is grounded.

The switch on the left controls the air compressor (quiet one from a dentist office) the right one kills power to the entire bench.

IMAG1238.jpg

IMAG1210.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is not stainless but it is steel and has no effect on powder scales. Depending on the type of stainless you have it may or may not have magnetic propertys but it won't make any difference either way.

Thickness might though, I only used 1/8" steel for my table top so I made a 5" truss for the perimeter and added cross braces where things mounted. I also added power outlets under the bottom and the boxes are welded to the table so when you plug it into the wall, the bench is grounded.

The switch on the left controls the air compressor (quiet one from a dentist office) the right one kills power to the entire bench.

IMAG1238.jpg

IMAG1210.jpg

I need to learn to weld.

If you want to stay inexpensive, I've found Masonite works well when screwed to a solid base. Cheap and easily replaced when worn.