• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Standard Leupold rings no match for my 338-378 WBY Mag

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
Testing some loads out today,groups were large ,check things and my scope wiggled like jello . Standard Leupold rings ,seams the bases are solid,but where the front ring cams into the base is where there was significant movement. . So I have some Burris Tactical rings,but they need picatinny rail . So what is the fix ? This is a WBY Accumark . What mounts and rings are guys mounting scopes 338 Lupua mag rifles ?

Get the WARNE rings, they are actually made for a mkv action unlike the leupold rem 700s.
I learned after I shook loose a set of leupolds on my mkv ultralight 300.

I second the WARNE rings too if you don’t want to go with a rail system. I also had the same issue with my 300 wby ultralight. I put the WARNE rings on and torqued to spec and have never had an issue since.

Reactions: JHutch808
The Leupold "windage adjustable" couldn't handle my .300 Wby Mag either. First 20 or so shots were good, they things groups started opening up. It was torqued to specs to. The dovetail on the front gave just enough under recoil to cause metal fatigue and bending on the back. Switched to Warne steel Weaver style. Thinking they'll be better.
20190118_131440.jpg
20190118_131440.jpg20190118_131440.jpg

The Leupold "windage adjustable" couldn't handle my .300 Wby Mag either. First 20 or so shots were good, they things groups started opening up. It was torqued to specs to. The dovetail on the front gave just enough under recoil to cause metal fatigue and bending on the back. Switched to Warne steel Weaver style. Thinking they'll be better.View attachment 7011540View attachment 7011538View attachment 7011540
Those are the worst scope rings ever made IMO I can't believe they still make those POS rings. If I had a rifle to where the front and rear holes were so misaligned I needed adjustable rings to compensate for it well I would either get the rifle fixed, make a custom picatinny rail for it or get rid of the rifle.

Last edited:
I've also broken two sets the same way you did. One on a 30-06 and other on a 300 win. Total junk. This was at least 15 years ago on hunting rifles.