• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

standard primers in 357

spradley

Private
Minuteman
May 13, 2012
Leeds, Alabama
Accidentally primed 200 pieces of 357 with standard pistol primers instead of magnum.. They have not been loaded with powder and I realized this shortly after priming the last round.

If I stay on the lighter loads such as 125gr can I get away with using the standard primers or do I need to suck it up and deprime?

thanks,
Gary

Maybe you could use them for target loads with faster powders if you have such, but IMO with full-house loads especially ball powders I'd only use magnum.

If you go slowly, it's safe to punch out good primers...even reuse them down the road if you do it gently.

Wear ear/eye pro, just to be safe.

Chris

Load them up with around 3.5-4g of bullseye or something similar to that and it will be just like shooting 38spl

I use 158gr Zero JHP over 7.7gr Unique (flake) powder and CCI 500 standard small primers for my full power 357 rounds. I've never had an issue.

I use 158gr Zero JHP over 7.7gr Unique (flake) powder and CCI 500 standard small primers for my full power 357 rounds. I've never had an issue.

thanks.. that's the best news I've heard all day. I just picked up 500 125gr jhp zero today..

Do you have a load for those with Unique?

Gary

Answered my own question.. looking at Alliant's web site they show a load for the 125gr using Unique and standard pistol primers. Seems the magnum primers are more critical when using ball powders.

I'll hunt down some Unique then get to loading.

Gary

I have used standard primers with both 2400 (flake) and true blue (ball) and not had any problems. As always your mileage may vary.