• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starline rifle brass, Anyone used it before?

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Greetings,

Ive been eying up 6 Creedmoor brass and see that Hornady is the cheapest, cause its garbage, but also found Starline brass is making 6 Creedmoor brass. The price is slightly higher than Hornady, but not by much.

With Hornady brass I had been getting 3 reloads or so out of each piece before the primer pockets were loose, and thats not me running a super hot load, the brass just sucks.

Has anyone tried Starline brass as I would like an opinion on it as it might be worth a try if I can get an extra couple reloads out of each piece.

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy

Reactions: Average guy
Been running the small primer 6.5 creed brass necked down to 6mm Creed and having good luck. Bad experience with hornady so decided to switch to the starline when it first came available. Recommended it to a buddy and he is running the large primer version in a 6.5 creed and seems to be having good luck as well. Only have about 4 reloads on mine so far and it seems to be holding up. He only has 2 reloads on his so not much of a longevity test on either. One complaint is it seems hard when it is new, we both annealed as soon as we got it and that made a big difference. Something I can live with but just a note.

I'm kinda wondering why some think Hornady brass is shit? I've got 10 reloads on some of mine, so I can't see where you guys are having problems due to brass. Sounds more like a slightly oversized chamber allowing more than normal case head expansion, thereby loosening up primer pockets earlier than expected.

Not trying to call bullshit, just saying there might be something else going on here...

I've used Star-Line pistol brass for decades (.45 ACP, .45 Colt). It's always been top-notch. I bought 150 pieces of the .308 brass when they came out with it (or, at least - when I found out about it.) I've only got 2 firings on it, but it seems good. No less consistent in weights than my Lapua .308's. And a few tenths of a grain less case capacity than the Lapua. We'll see how it holds up. I'm loving the prices though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Badfinger
I'm kinda wondering why some think Hornady brass is shit? I've got 10 reloads on some of mine, so I can't see where you guys are having problems due to brass. Sounds more like a slightly oversized chamber allowing more than normal case head expansion, thereby loosening up primer pockets earlier than expected.

Not trying to call bullshit, just saying there might be something else going on here...

You know for 45 cents a round new I guess hornady fills that price gap. I was just disappointed by how quickly primer pockets loosened on me. Factory 140 eld m ammo, I’m on 3x fired and marking with a sharpie 1 out of 10 to pitch next time it comes around. When I hear of guys getting 12 plus fires on Peterson, alpha, and Lapua, I just wonder why hornady doesn’t produce a case with similar characteristics, for the price I guess I shouldn’t bitch

41.4 gr imr 4451 140 rdf has been my load, don’t think it was really hot load. Criterion remage is what I’m running for a barrel.

Hmmm. Asked about the Starline in the Depot, but think I will try some for rifle break-in and preliminary work ups. The Alpha looks great, but about 50 percent more.

I just recently switched to 6.5 Creedmoor and picked up 100 pieces of Star-Line to get started. After firing once, I measured case capacity. Average was 52.24 gr water. That seems a bit low, as Quickload's default case capacity for 6.5 Creedmoor is listed as 53.50. Can anyone here confirm whether or not my case cap seems a bit on the low side?

You know for 45 cents a round new I guess hornady fills that price gap. I was just disappointed by how quickly primer pockets loosened on me. Factory 140 eld m ammo, I’m on 3x fired and marking with a sharpie 1 out of 10 to pitch next time it comes around. When I hear of guys getting 12 plus fires on Peterson, alpha, and Lapua, I just wonder why hornady doesn’t produce a case with similar characteristics, for the price I guess I shouldn’t bitch

41.4 gr imr 4451 140 rdf has been my load, don’t think it was really hot load. Criterion remage is what I’m running for a barrel.

Whats your velocity?

I just recently switched to 6.5 Creedmoor and picked up 100 pieces of Star-Line to get started. After firing once, I measured case capacity. Average was 52.24 gr water. That seems a bit low, as Quickload's default case capacity for 6.5 Creedmoor is listed as 53.50. Can anyone here confirm whether or not my case cap seems a bit on the low side?

I get ~52.4gr from Lapua, and ~53.5gr from Hornady

check out johnny's reloading bench on youtube he uses the starline 223 and likes it. He liked it so much he wants to try it in the 6.5. I think he also has used it in 308

I've been running 10mm and 45 acp Starline brass since they first came out in the 90's and have had excellent luck with those handgun calibers. The only problem I had with the brass was with 38 super. After 2 or 3 reloads, some of the brass would get stuck in the chamber. But It was on an unlimited pistol to meet major power factor.

When I found out they made 308 brass and 260 I bought a couple thousand of each. What I have been using have been awesome . I'm on my 8th reloading of 308 and 6th of 260 and still doing well. I did anneal the 260 at the 5th reload but I think that's usual. Primer pockets are still okay but I usually run wolf after a large number of reloadings on the used cases.

I think they make good brass.

I just finished doing a OCW on a Savage LRP 6.5 CM with Starline . I’m disappointed. 10 cases 1x fired are trash . Pocket holes loose . My max charge was 42.8 of rl16

I just finished doing a OCW on a Savage LRP 6.5 CM with Starline . I’m disappointed. 10 cases 1x fired are trash . Pocket holes loose . My max charge was 42.8 of rl16

Wow that is disappointing. It may be worth contacting starline and letting them know your experience.

Reactions: hertz654

I use hornady cases and knowing how to correctly full length size is key. The real gunsmith has a good you tube on this.

I think I'm going to give the alpha 260 brass with the small primer a try. I never heard of it until I read this. Thanks guys

I've used Starline pistol brass for years with very good results.

Shortly after I got my 6.5CM starline announced a SRP version. I just bought 50 pieces to check it out and was favorably impressed. I've since bought more and it's been more than satisfactory, especially for the price. I don't yet have enough firings on it to judge it's long term value.
But I also bought a couple hundred Lapua 6.5 and while the Lapua is slightly more consistent, I'm able to use the same load of H4350 in both the Lapua and Starline. Velocities a nearly identical using my MS and the Lapua loads are showing a little better SD. I would not hesitate to use Starline in the future.

Reactions: RampedRaptor
Not to bring up a (too) old post but Starline has an interesting article in regards to necking down their brass.

The relevant part is here:

Recently a customer reached out with pressure concerns in Starline 6mm Creedmoor brass that had been formed from Starline 6.5 Creedmoor cases. The brass had been fired twice and some cases would no longer hold the primer. As this is an uncommon issue, the customer was asked to supply his load data so I could do some further examination into what could be causing the shortened case life. At first, the problem seemed pretty cut and dry. I quickly discovered the load was at maximum in Hornady brass, according to their published reloading data. Starline brass has a lower case capacity than Hornady brass due to Starline’s increased thickness at the base, so I knew this was probably most of the problem. We always recommend that customers start on the low end of load data and carefully work their way up when changing brass manufacturers as not to run into pressure problems.

Personally, I've had great experience with Starline's 6.5 small primer brass. But I also have been getting higher velocities with lower charges than I would have expected. This explanation seems to offer a reason why.

Reactions: MustangGreg66
Not to bring up a (too) old post but Starline has an interesting article in regards to necking down their brass.

The relevant part is here:

Recently a customer reached out with pressure concerns in Starline 6mm Creedmoor brass that had been formed from Starline 6.5 Creedmoor cases. The brass had been fired twice and some cases would no longer hold the primer. As this is an uncommon issue, the customer was asked to supply his load data so I could do some further examination into what could be causing the shortened case life. At first, the problem seemed pretty cut and dry. I quickly discovered the load was at maximum in Hornady brass, according to their published reloading data. Starline brass has a lower case capacity than Hornady brass due to Starline’s increased thickness at the base, so I knew this was probably most of the problem. We always recommend that customers start on the low end of load data and carefully work their way up when changing brass manufacturers as not to run into pressure problems.

Personally, I've had great experience with Starline's 6.5 small primer brass. But I also have been getting higher velocities with lower charges than I would have expected. This explanation seems to offer a reason why.
I've noticed that too in my 6.5 brass. It works great, I like the extra speed so I don't have to use as much powder.

I've noticed that too in my 6.5 brass. It works great, I like the extra speed so I don't have to use as much powder.
I am seeing the same thing in my 6mm creedmoor. I dropped my powder charge .5 grains and got the same velocity as I did with hornady brass. I have been happy with starline brass so far.

You guys are going to make me spend more money aren’t you? ?

What’s the best prices you are seeing on Starline Brass in 6.5 Creedmoor? So far, I’ve found it at just under 42 cents a piece for a 500 count order, or 41 cents for 1000.

Another question: Buy premium brass, Starline/Alpha/Lapua, or by an annealer and keep shooting Hornady brass? At the moment, I can’t do both.

Reactions: BeAccurate
Large primer or small?
Brownells has large primer stuff in sale for 43 cents for 500.

I'd buy the better brass, then anneal. I'm going through a second firing with mine before annealing and the results have been fine. I noticed a few here or there that seem to seat a tad easier than most, but when I set them aside to test, they give the same SD/ES as the rest. Read the review on rifleshooter.com where he compares Starlines large vs small and the torture tests. It's impressive.

It's been good for me in lrp creedmoor. I did have to back off on my powder charge almost a whole grain though.

Starline is fine brass so long as you do not push it. Standard match loads are ok, but running hard, it does not hold up. I run 140 pills in my 6.5cm at 2900 in 28" barrel. Typically around 42 to 42.4 of RL16. There is another node at 43+ but it ruins the brass. I went back to Peterson.

I just started using 6mm starline small primer brass. Not sure what to think yet. I started with lighter loads as recommended by starline, which for me was the medium load on Hornady’s manual but noticed the necks weren’t concentric after firing. Some are noticeable (you can see the neck wobble) when spinning on a concentricity tool. Not sure if the brass just didn’t fire form all the way. I ran hot loads yesterday to see if fire forming was the issue. Will check today.

...the Starline 308 brass has worked very well for me... For the price you can't beat it... Currently, I don't see the need to spend twice as much for the small gains that might be offered with the "premium" brands... Although I wouldn't mind trying a box of Peterson in the future.... It's all good to me..

I see a lot of it being left on the ground at the range. Both SRP and LRP.

Which range?? I see the Rockies avatar, so if it's in Colorado, let me know. I'll gladly pick it up! I've been using it to form 25 Creedmoor, so if you find SRP brass, I'll meet you somewhere.

I've probably loaded a couple of thousand Starline cases in .223, 7.62x39, 6.5 Grendel, and .308 Win; mostly the 223. I prefer it when I can get it.

I have yet to fire/reload the 6.5 Grendel, but the other chamberings are running well and holding up. FWIW...

I wish I could get it chambered in .30-06. Now that I see it's also made in .260 Rem and 7mm-08, I'll be looking to use it when next I need them.

Greg

I used it initially for load workup before using Lapua brass for final tweaks. It shot pretty much as well as lapua. The only things I noticed were very slight case size variations and some burrs in flash holes that were remedied with brass prep.

Overall I was very happy and shot below 0.3 MOA with berger pills in my Tac A1

I use starline for 10mm and 357 mag and love it. Not used it for rifle since I have a bunch of once fired brass that gets me by. If I decide to buy new starline is usually my 1st choice for price and quality.

Reactions: equilibrium

I have new hornady brass that has borderline loose primer pockets. Hornady definitely has an issue. I run both srp and LRP starline and have had great luck.

Reactions: Loe
I use nothing but Starline brass for my 41 rem mag, 45 super and 460 Rowland. It's the ONLY thing that will hold up to these hot loads and still give me 10+ reloads. I also use starline to make my custom wildcat .338 WSM cases that see pressures +65K pushing 210gr Barnes TSX to 3100fps. About to order a batch for loading 6.5 Creedmore with the new Staball 6.5 powder. Hoping to push 140 Berger Hybrids over 2900 fps. I expect to see chamber pressures at or above 62k with 45gr charge wt. I've loaded about every kind of brass there is in all sorts of calibers and nothing I ever used holds up like Starline. All you need to do is torch the necks a little on rifle cases to soften them up and your good to go.

I use nothing but Starline brass for my 41 rem mag, 45 super and 460 Rowland. It's the ONLY thing that will hold up to these hot loads and still give me 10+ reloads. I also use starline to make my custom wildcat .338 WSM cases that see pressures +65K pushing 210gr Barnes TSX to 3100fps. About to order a batch for loading 6.5 Creedmore with the new Staball 6.5 powder. Hoping to push 140 Berger Hybrids over 2900 fps. I expect to see chamber pressures at or above 62k with 45gr charge wt. I've loaded about every kind of brass there is in all sorts of calibers and nothing I ever used holds up like Starline. All you need to do is torch the necks a little on rifle cases to soften them up and your good to go.

If you're unaware, there are dates in the top left corner of every message/comment on every thread. This thread is a little over a year old, not that it matters, but just informing you. If you just wanted to add to the old conversation, then have at it. There tend to be an influx of new forum members bringing up 3-10yr old threads as they don't realize the date is there.

Also... if you've used Lapua or Peterson brass, I doubt that Starline brass holds up any better.

Greetings,

Ive been eying up 6 Creedmoor brass and see that Hornady is the cheapest, cause its garbage, but also found Starline brass is making 6 Creedmoor brass. The price is slightly higher than Hornady, but not by much.

With Hornady brass I had been getting 3 reloads or so out of each piece before the primer pockets were loose, and thats not me running a super hot load, the brass just sucks.

Has anyone tried Starline brass as I would like an opinion on it as it might be worth a try if I can get an extra couple reloads out of each piece.

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy

Hornaday 6 creedmore brass was a disappointment with case neck cracks. Starline couldn't be any worse.

The price point of Peterson and Lapua is just not worth it. Have used both and both are very good but I get better results from Starline. FWIW I been at this a long time. Don't do forums much but do read a lot of opinions. Then I form my own opinion based on my own results and call it good.

Reactions: Gustav7