• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starrett Dial Caliper or Mitutoyo Dial Caliper

Re: Starrett Dial Caliper or Mitutoyo Dial Caliper

"Starrett Dial Caliper or Mitutoyo Dial Caliper"

Staarrett is USA, they are as accurate as calipers get. Mitutoyou is Japanese, don't know if their thousanth of an inch is the same as ours.
smile.gif

Have both, both are dial not digital...both are as accurate as a vernier caliper can be.

The Starret I bought, the Mitutoyo was gifted to me by my FIL when he retired from a QC job.

One is left alone for measuring whatever, the other is set up with a selfmade comparator installed.

Keep it clean and stored in the box. Don't toss it around or drop it, and either will serve you right....for as good as a vernier caliper is intended to be.

Between these two brands just let the price dictate the decision.......

Both of the brands have "off shore" lines as well as there traditional points of manufacturer. Toyos are japan and Brazil where starett is USA and china. For reloading purposes any will work. I have used all of the above and if treated right and maintained you should not have a problem with them.

For workbench/reloading bench use, I stand by the harbor freight dial caliper... Perfect tool for the application.

Starrett....American made. That's what is says on mine anyway...

Many Starrett products are made in China now. You can still get American made Starrett, but you have to pay a bit more.

For dial calipers, I like the Brown & Sharpe. They seem smoother.

Well, the man did't ask what we like but ... I really LIKE my pro grade Swiss vernier caliper and B&S micrometer. But for reloading I USE Harbor Freight's Chink calipers (and mics), dial and digital, which typically can be bought "on sale" for $10-12. They are quite accurate and, if I drop 'em, the replacement cost won't put tears in my eyes!

I have both in my shop and they both check out the same every time I test them. I guess cost would be the only issue,but there are about the same anyway