• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Start em' young

vance

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2009
NW Arkansas
Here's a couple of pics from a few weeks ago. Me and my 9 year old son took the Nighthawk Tactical .308 to the range. He wanted to shoot it so I let him. He shot about 18 rounds at 100 yards with no complaints about recoil. He had never shot a rifle larger than .223 til that day. The last pic was his last three shot group at 100 yards. The hole under the case was from a previous group. The following weekend we went to a local match were he finished 5th out of a group of about 40 adults. To say I was proud would be the understatement of the century.
parker020.jpg

parker026.jpg

parker048.jpg

Re: Start em' young

That is absolutely outstanding! My hat is off to you, Dad, for a job well done with your son and teaching him to shoot and actually DOING something with him that is worthwhile!

BRAVO!BRAVO!

Awesome!! My two boys 9 & 7 shoot with me all the time and can out shoot most men. They are ringers with my .338LM!!!!

Good on you dad!!

I take my 8 year old boy every chance I get. Unfortunately recently I have been going during the day when he is in school, but I try to plan a couple of weekend or holiday trips when possible.

He is still on the .22LR, but I am going to put him on the suppressed HBAR next time we go out. If he handles that well, then we will see about the .308.

No matter what they shoot...the point is to take them shooting! Or for that matter, fishing, hiking, whatever gets them outside and exposes them to YOUR values. Not those expressed on the idiot box.

That is definitely cool. Good job to you dad for instructing your kid right and hats off to him and his skill set.

Great job we all need to get the youngsters involved to protect our rights.

Out of curiosity what base and rings are you using?(looks like nightforce rings but not sure)

Nighthawk2's post got me thinking. My daughter is only four (a little young to put behind a rifle) but, what is a good age to start kids shooting and what should I do to make sure their first shoot gets them interested?

5x5GUY,
I started shooting with my Dad at 4 years old (bb gun, pellet gun, and .22 LR) and helping him reload at 5.
I started my 7 year old daughter shooting (.22 LR and 5.56x45)and reloading with me at 5 years old.
5 years old is a good age to at least start them out shooting a BB gun or a pellet gun if you do not feel comfortable having them shooting anything larger. BBguns and pellet guns are very good for learning basic rifle marksmanship. They are cheap to shoot. Light recoiling. You do not need a lot of real estate. And good for learning how to shoot with iron sights.
I also told my daughter that she would be shooting quite a few thousand rounds before she would ever pull the trigger behind a scope. She has never gave me any grief about it at all.
Whatever age you decide to let your kids start shooting, make sure that they are capable of following instruction and that you have discussed with them the responsibility involved in proper handling and shooting any type of weapon. Most of all you need to keep your eye on them and the weapon/s at all times.
As we know all kids mature and develop discipline and responsibility at different ages. Some kids are not ready at the younger ages. Only you can be the best judge of that.

My oldest one is two, so he has a little while to wait. When I saw this thread, this is what he was doing- hunting Casper the Friendly Ghost.

hunting.jpg

my son is 11 hes been shooting and hunting with me for a few years now. My daughter is 5 and she will be getting a 22 for christmas this year. I look foward to teaching here how to shoot it.

gratz to you and good luck.

Howdy.

Mine is only 2 months now. I cant wait to get him started on the .22 till he gets some discipline and understands range safety. Once he has a hold on that, the ole 06 will be waiting. Not to say there wont be other choices to have by then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">5x5GUY,
I started shooting with my Dad at 4 years old (bb gun, pellet gun, and .22 LR) and helping him reload at 5.
I started my 7 year old daughter shooting (.22 LR and 5.56x45)and reloading with me at 5 years old.
5 years old is a good age to at least start them out shooting a BB gun or a pellet gun if you do not feel comfortable having them shooting anything larger. BBguns and pellet guns are very good for learning basic rifle marksmanship. They are cheap to shoot. Light recoiling. You do not need a lot of real estate. And good for learning how to shoot with iron sights.
I also told my daughter that she would be shooting quite a few thousand rounds before she would ever pull the trigger behind a scope. She has never gave me any grief about it at all.
Whatever age you decide to let your kids start shooting, make sure that they are capable of following instruction and that you have discussed with them the responsibility involved in proper handling and shooting any type of weapon. Most of all you need to keep your eye on them and the weapon/s at all times.
As we know all kids mature and develop discipline and responsibility at different ages. Some kids are not ready at the younger ages. Only you can be the best judge of that. </div></div>
There is no way that I could add anything to this post other than to say how important hearing protection is when they start shooting the high power rifles. Very well said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great job we all need to get the youngsters involved to protect our rights.

Out of curiosity what base and rings are you using?(looks like nightforce rings but not sure) </div></div>
Yes sir they are Nightforce.
Vance

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Red_SC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My oldest one is two, so he has a little while to wait. When I saw this thread, this is what he was doing- hunting Casper the Friendly Ghost.

hunting.jpg
</div></div>
That is an awesome pic. Definitely a screen saver or wall paper.

nighthawk2,
Yes, I most certainly agree with you. Hearing protection is definitely the most important thing when you are involved in the shooting sports. Eye protection also.
My daughter getting antsy to shoot some paper at the range
IMG_4813.jpg

Can't wait for my kids to be old enough to go shooting with me!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PreBandit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My daughter on The USS Intrepid: Bring it Bitches
BringIt.jpg
</div></div>

This for the win! Well played.

You are all great fathers, these days a lot of fathers are too busy working or ignoring their kids, you all deserve a hats off. I only wish all kids could have fathers like you that take the time to spend with their kids. When I have kids I have some good examples here to go by. Once again hats off to you all.