• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Started getting fliers after changing muzzle device

Andy T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Northeast
On my SRS A1, factory barrel. Before install, rifle was consistent. I installed 3/4"-24 (female) to 5/8"-24 adapter and SF Warcomp. Now, I am getting fliers every few rounds. The flier can be as much as 1 mil high at 100 yards.

The adapter was torqued to 30 ft/lb and Warcom to 22 ft/lb. I am curious what interaction could be causing the fliers. I also verified that the barrel is torqued correctly to 80"/lb using factory seekonk wrench.
I am curious what could be causing that. Has anyone else had fliers show up after changing muzzle devices?

Sounds like you were warned not to go the adapter route, another way to introduce issues.
Take it back to factory spec and see if the fliers are still there.

Reactions: Stephen Bachiler
I get the part about barrel harmonics being affected. I was expecting them to be affected in a predictable fashion (i.e. consistent zero shift). However, getting fliers makes me wonder if something else is off.

Get a bore alignment rod, or take it to a gunsmith that has one. Just because it looks straight doesn’t mean it is.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
If that doesn’t work, remove the muzzle device, the adaptor, and have the barrel properly threaded for the desired thread pitch as suggested to you in a previous thread.

Reactions: DIBBS
Get a bore alignment rod, or take it to a gunsmith that has one. Just because it looks straight doesn’t mean it is.
Are you talking about alignment between the bore and muzzle device to ensure thread concentricity?

Take peak at the various stack of things now attached to the muzzle. Is there ANY evidence of copper on the inside diameter of the brake/adapter stack? A “baffle strike” is not always as obvious as a gouge….sometimes it’s just a smudge of copper.

If not, take the stack off and clean everything, reinstall. Fliers doesn’t say “out of tune” to me as much as a big ass group would. It says, “something’s loose or hitting”.

how did you hold the rifle when you torqued the various things? Any chance you torqued the action in the chassis? Honestly, I don’t know what an SRS A1 is so…this may not be relevant.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Are you talking about alignment between the bore and muzzle device to ensure thread concentricity?
Correct, they make them for different calibers, get one that matches your caliber.

Reactions: Andy T
Like said above it's probably just the change in barrel harmonics with the load you were previously using. It may not work the same with the changed in weight. When tuning a tuner it takes very little to make a huge change so changing the weight hanging on the end of the barrel can always have a chance of making things worse. You may just have to adjust your load to make the new setup work as before.

+1 to the recommendation to check for strikes. Here’s a photo of what my root cause was when I was observing the same problem:

38BCCD12-2B19-4574-B08D-A5DD90026279.jpeg

Thread adaptors are bad news and don't belong on precision rifles. Rethread the barrel or find another muzzle device.

Reactions: M77