• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starter rifle for precision shooting

Fito

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2021
Pa
I’m looking to get into precision shooting.
If you guys could receive a decent starter rifle, I’d appreciate it.

Posted in your other thread.

Peeps will want to know budget most important.

What you will expect for distance?

What your current skills are?

If all are low....I suggest a Win 75T and lots of quality .22 ammo.

If you live near southern New Hampshire.

Buy no gear.

Buy all the Precision rifle training you can at Sig Sauer.

Use all their loaner gear.

Check out every rifle and the gear of every other shooter.

Reactions: Bluedog82
The answer will depend in large part on what you want to spend, of course.

Do you want an off-the-rack rifle in a factory caliber like 6.5 Creedmoor? Or do you have in mind a caliber like 6mm dasher, which seems pretty popular in PRS/NRL but probably requires at least some level of custom building?

You’ll get better advice from others, but for off-the-rack, I’d suggest you consider a Bergara B14. It’s made on the Remington 700 platform, so you could grow with it by putting the action and barrel into a more configurable chassis.

I love my AXSR. It is the finest firearm made in the history of mankind. Maybe not everyone’s ideal choice as a “starter rifle”, and the long action might make it not quite 100% perfectly oriented toward PRS shooting, but it was the best $9,500 I ever spent.

The last few years I've been telling interested people to put a quality scope and bipod on the AR-15 they probably already have and try it out with some good ammo. This gets them shooting and hitting targets for minimum initial cost. After they have the bug, the gun can be upgraded more or the scope and bipod can be moved to a dedicated precision rifle. For most new shooters a 600-800 yard MOA rifle won't hold them back especially if there isn't anywhere to shoot super far.

Easy button starter set: Bergara HMR 6.5CM with a Vortex Viper Gen II.
However, I would second pmclaine's advice as it makes a lot of sense if you are truely just starting out. A lot of advanced/pro shooters circle back to .22lr and .223 for training. If you have access to the Sig Sauer training, just do it. I would if it was closer.
Posted in your other thread.

Peeps will want to know budget most important.

What you will expect for distance?

What your current skills are?

If all are low....I suggest a Win 75T and lots of quality .22 ammo.

If you live near southern New Hampshire.

Buy no gear.

Buy all the Precision rifle training you can at Sig Sauer.

Use all their loaner gear.

Check out every rifle and the gear of every other shooter.

Off the shelf? Tikka. Theres a Tikka thread dedicated to people showing them off on this forum. You can grab one for around $800. The bolts are smooth as glass and you'd be hard pressed to find a factory trigger better than what they have. The aftermarket parts for them are plentiful, if you want to switch anything out down the road. If you're new to bolt guns or shooting, I'd get something very mild in the recoil department, like a 22lr or a .223. the Tikkas are very light rifles.

Starter RIfle: Tikka or Bergara if you don't own anything. More important is a good scope and learning how to use its a a ruler. (IMHO).
Otherwise take a non-magnum rifle, get a decent scope and go learn.

Gear is less important that training.

MOST IMPORATNT Find a good class, learn to shoot a rifle. Then find what appeals to you.
For a decent scope look for a First Focal Plane Mil-dot style reticle. As a guide, your scope should be as much as your rifle (roughly).

Don't worry about caliber or gear just yet--LEARN TO SHOOT and the rest will fall into place. As you take classes try out other people's gear and find what you like.

1. Training
2. Scope
3. Rifle
4. AT-X master race

Thank you all. I think at this point an off the shelf, out of the box rifle is where I want to go. In the $1000 ball park would be great, if possible. I shot some in the past, not in competition or .mil. It seemed like the Rem 700 and Savage 110’s at the time where the basic set ups. Remington has certainly changed, and not for the better. I’ll look into the suggestions mentioned above to get started with.
I do truly appreciate the help!

Where are you located in PA and how far are you going to be able to shoot out too? 100 yd? 200yd?

Thank you all. I think at this point an off the shelf, out of the box rifle is where I want to go. In the $1000 ball park would be great, if possible. I shot some in the past, not in competition or .mil. It seemed like the Rem 700 and Savage 110’s at the time where the basic set ups. Remington has certainly changed, and not for the better. I’ll look into the suggestions mentioned above to get started with.
Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

For $1000 if you want a Rem 700 platform I’d look into Bergara B14

If you want the best way to spend $1000. Get a Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM. Your first upgrades can be a $10 trigger spring and a KRG Bravo. But the factory gun will work to start

For optics you can search the forum and come up with tons of info. Personally I’d stay away from anything Vortex. But that’s just based on my high failure rate with the PST lines

Reactions: Dildobaggins
Get a Tikka. Rem has gone to the dogs (I own several). Tikka now is what remington was--your standard entry "nice" rifle that can take you very far.
and worth the extra $$ over a Savage.

Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creedmoor. Yes you will read all sorts of crap about 6.5 Creed on the site. Its the popular kid, we all throw shade, but even our site founder recommends it (and secretly we all own at least 1 rifle in 6.5 Creed).

There are many variants, but in my opinion these are the key things to have:
(1) Heavy Barrel (stay away from light barrels--its not a killer, but you want a heavy barrel)
(2) Detachable Magazine

After that key things to look for:
(1) Muzzle Threading. Recommend 5/8-24. You can add supressor/brake. (You can add threading later, just nice to have it right away)
(2) Barrel Length--longer tends to be better, but the CTR is fine. aim for 20-24"

Most important:
MAKE SURE YOU LIKE THE RIFLE!!! Don't buy because we said so. Buy what you LIKE and what is comfortable for YOU.

After that you'll need a scope:
Get seekins or vortex precision rings (they are the same thing--seekins makes them for Vortex).
Here's a good starter scope:

ANother:
http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d64.html (Vortex PST Gen II 3-15--Vortex is a hot topic, they sell a TON of scopes, but with unlimited warranty. I own several. If you are note comfortable, there are options--these are just examples--call the vendors for help)

Both CameralandNY and LibertyOptics are Hide supporters and well help you get what's right for you.

After that, go to the training forum, look for a class, get a ton of ammo and enjoy.

As mentioned above, for 1K, I would get either a Tikka CTR in 308 or 6.5cm, or a Bergara. Both are great options and both offer lots of different upgrades as you progress as a shooter. You wouldn't go wrong with either. If you can get hands on with either, definitely do that to see which one feels better to you.

My son and I started our long range career with DPMS GII Hunters. The rifles themselves are more than accurate enough but it's a completely different animal to tame.

I highly recommend that you don't start with the same type of rifle.

As people above are recommending, learn the system of long range shooting before you go balls deep.

I did a lot of reading here and watched quite a few videos that explain the how's and why's of position, proper rifle mount and the spooky science of the physics and why it works (ballistics). (For $19.99 a month, Snipershide is a great deal for videos and training, you are able to progress at your own speed and watch things over and over until you have a full understanding of what the lessons are teaching you) Basically, get a good grip on yourself and what it takes to figure out why your bullet travels the way it does and how to become confident in yourself and your dope and then apply that to your weapon.

Ask the people here questions if you need too. Don't go it alone, things may frustrate you to the point of giving up or just skipping over what is a very important part of your dope.

Learn the physics of your bullet path, try to get beyond just punching in various numbers on your favorite shooting app. Pay $19.99 a month until you know your dope, the how's and whys of what you are learning, forwards and backwards, a simple way to add visual mass to learning. Anyone can read a certain tip but if you can't see what is meant, it's just bunch of words.

I don't have any experience with Tikkas or Bergaras but I will recommend a Ruger RPR in your favorite, affordable cartridge. Ruger does make an RPR in a 22LR platform too.

I'll go against the grain and say... start with a Ruger Precision Rifle. .308, because ammo and components are easy to get and it's a very versatile cartridge. If you want to go more 'exotic' look at a 6.5. But really, you won't have any issues starting in the field with a .308.

Inexpensive. Very accurate. Can be customized in myriad ways if you want.

And you'll pretty much always be able to get out of it and buy a more 'prestigious' rifle if you enjoy and stick with precision rifle shooting.

Spend your money on a tier one optic and rings... because you can move that to your next rifle.

But don't put the RPR out of the running. It's a fantastic entry-level rifle and can be had for well under $1,000 if you shop around a bit.

Sirhr

I would recommend a Bergara HMR or a Howa Oryx in 6.5 Creedmoor. Either one would be a solid choice to start long range / PRS style shooting.

Reactions: Dildobaggins
Reactions: Cpg3
Anything. From .22 lr to any high power cartridge. Learn to use it . Dopes, wind , it all applies.

I started with a lowly savage but times are different now with a lot more optionsand I’d recommend a tikka now with bergara and howa a consideration.
A 6.5, 7mm or 308 are great starters.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
Tikka.
CTR, TAC A1, or a Super Varmint.
Spend money and get the best glass and rings you can afford.
FFP, First Focal Plane scope.👍
A .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor.
I'd go the 6.5 Creedmoor, because it's a low recoil and flatter shooting round than the .308.
From there, the world is your oyster.
Look into reloading, to get the very best out of your rifle.
Snipers Hide training lessons.
For the price of a few energy drinks and coffees per month, you will have access to years of training and experience.
Eventually you'll work out which way you want to head, Varmint shooting, PRS, or ELR.... or have a crack at all of it.

For all the bullshit artists and twisted fuckers on Snipers Hide, there is a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy.

I’m going to go with a different tack. Buy everything pictured below.

If the picture appears to be a bit blank, you are right. Don’t purchase anything. Except, gas money to go and watch a couple of matches. See what is actually going on, how it works. talk with the match director when he is not busy. Maybe after the match, you might have an opportunity to handle a rifle or two and maybe take a shot or two. Lots of times folks are willing to give you a loaner for a few shots.

Then, take the rifle you own and a bag of sorts. Go to your local range. Practice some of the holds/shots that you saw at the match. Don’t worry about whether your local range is long enough, its You who is being tested, not your ability to hit targets a long ways off.

Then, after all this, you really have decided this is something you want to do, get in lots of practice with your rifle and think and look and study all the different options available.

The point, get what you need and not a lot of stuff you will never use. Lots of good thoughts about purchasing a rifle that can grow with you, but without trying to make anyone angry or be disrespectful to any of the above posters, best get a rifle that is already grown. I own an RPR, that I purchased in 2017. Its a pretty nice rifle but I have put some pretty nice upgrades in it. Liked it before, still like it. But, got almost as much into it as the MPA that I purchased this year. Though the differences in accuracy are slight, the MPA still holds a slight edge. See the point.

Oh, it does not hurt to be a well versed reloader.