• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starter Rifle Opinions - Which of these is the best deal?

CoronaGold

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2013
My latest fascination is long range shooting. I am looking for a starter rifle. If I can work my way up to hitting a pie plate at 500 yards I will be happy. If I can someday group within a couple inches at 500 yards that would be fantastic. 1000 yards is probably never going to be in my repertoire. I have been watching for a deal on a 700 in .308. Suddenly, I have several leads to consider. Which of these do you think is the best deal?

1) $500 Used 700 from the mid 1990s. 26" varmint barrel. laminated stock. one owner, 200 rounds fired.
2) $750 Used 700P. HS stock. 26" heavy barrel. recent manufacture. approximately 600 rounds fired.
3) $500 A completed gunsmith special. 700 action. 20" heavy tactical barrel. HS stock. Assembled from spare parts.
4) $600 New 700SPS-V. 26" varmint barrel. Synthetic stock.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and comments!

Depending on the smith, #3. It is already shortened and should be handier to work with. You will be surprised how quickly you will be shooting 500Y.

Assuming the third is just a factory shorter barrel... I'd grab it

The HS stock and bottom metal are worth nearly what the price is anyhow.

#3 if he will give you some kind of guarantee that he will fix any problems if it is minute of pie plate.

#3 as others said. I'm curious as to what barrel it has or if its just a factory one hacked down. Either way I would want it inspected with go and no-go gauges before purchasing. If some idiot just slapped a take off barrel on an action and torqued it down it can be dangerous if the headspace isn't right.

#1 and #2 are a tie considering value. #1 sounds like a VLS which you will want to upgrade the stock on, the $250 difference between the two gets you a HS Precision take off so the price is a wash. The advantage to #1 is that the older R700's are better build quality, and the advantage to #2 is that its parkerized. #2 is a moot point if it will strictly be a target rifle but if it will be used in any inclement weather the blueing stands a much higher chance of rusting. The parkerizing on #2 holds oil well which helps prevent rust.

I'd pass completely on #4, that's really nothing special. You can get the dicks special ADL varmint for $500 or less which is the same barreled action in the same tupperware stock, just a blind box magazine instead of a BDL. The ADL Varmint also comes with a scope you can get $50 for.

#3 depending on the barrel. if it is a match barrel, definitely get it. #2 would be my second choice.

#3 as others said. I'm curious as to what barrel it has or if its just a factory one hacked down. Either way I would want it inspected with go and no-go gauges before purchasing. If some idiot just slapped a take off barrel on an action and torqued it down it can be dangerous if the headspace isn't right.

This. It seems to be a good deal, but tread carefully. I've seen "gunsmiths" do (or not do) the darndest things to precision rifles.... Second choice is the 700P so you won't have to upgrade the stock the first week you get it. After that, #1 since a laminated stock is easier to get functional than the cheapo synthetic stocks.

...That 700P will shock you on how accurate they can be with minimal load testing and good honed skills! I have a personal one and seen 3 others that hold a constant .5-.75 groups and i know mine is sub at 600yd

... Tuned trigger, bedded recoil lug, clean / LAP barrel, and one ladder test made it a .5 shooter!

#3 as well. Don't discount shooting at a grand before you try. Practice, practice, practice and before long 500 will be like putting and a grand will be the norm.

Thanks for all the feedback! There were some great comments in there, just what I was looking for.

And the winner is.........NOT ME! Some of the comments were prophetic, the three deals evaporated in hours. So I'm still lurking and looking. :)