• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Starting .243 load

Flyingbullseye

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 24, 2010
    Michigan
    I'm looking for some starting load advice for a .243. Reason is my rifle will be rechambered in the near future but currently have 100rds and brass. I haven't started reloading yet but am in the process of acquiring the necessary equipment, what I don't have a friend does.

Here's what I have:

Savage Stevens 200 .243
    22inch 9 1/8 factory stock barrel
    95gr Berger VLD
    Federal once shot factory .243 brass (yeah they are crappy but I'm not sticking with the .243 anyway)
    Only plan on going out to 100yrds with these.

Any advice on type of powder, amount and so forth would be helpful. The manuals my friend has I believe are a few years old and don't have the berger rounds I currently have, they have everything but. Go figure.

Flyingbullseye

Re: Starting .243 load

To be on the safe side go to the Powder Manufacturer's websites and check their
    load recommendations. (IMR, Alliant, Hodgdon, ect).

I have, none have the round listed. Everyone seems to have the nosler round though. Anyone use the Berger 95 VLD?

Flyingbullseye

I use the 95 Berger VLD for my 243. Currently I am running them on top of 35 gr. of IMR 4064. However, I did contact Berger about all powders used for 243 and the 95 VLD and they sent me a good listing of powders and charge weights.

If you want it pm me and I will send it to you.

cool.gif

I'd go right to the horse's mouth...from their site's Q&A link:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Q: Where can I get loading data for Berger Bullets?

A: Our loading manual will be available soon. In the meantime, then you can email your cartridge and bullet data to [email protected] or to anyone at Berger Bullets listed on our Contacts page. Starting and maximum loads will be emailed back to you.

</div></div>

varget is great with the .243 i use 100 gr sierras with 32 grains of varget 1 hole 5 shot groups at 100 yds in a rest outta my tikka

Rick, is that supposed to be 32 or 42 grains for varget? All the posts I've seen for a .243 I've never seen any load that low.

Flyingbullseye

yes 32 grains it was either the start load in sierra or speer for my son. has brought down several deer and shoots 1 hole outta the tikka dont remember speed exactly but i think it was an average of 2653 fps i added 2 grains up to 36 and the more i added the wider it grouped .