• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Starting a .308 build in 3 weeks, need critiques

dtkutchu

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Macomb, MI
I am pretty sure that everything is here. If I appear to be missing something, please let me know. I am going to start purchasing parts in about 3 weeks, and working from the lower and stock and all that upwards. Looking for any criticism or even a simple "yep, everything looks to be accounted for". I am not going to worry about the scope and mount for it, since i will be taking one off a different rifle. I am also going to leave the trigger on it for a little while before upgrading to the Geissele SSA-E.

Tactical Machining TM-10 .308 Stripped Lower Receiver
DPMS Lower Receiver Parts Kit LR-308
MagPul PRS
Olympic Receiver Extension Buffer Tube AR-15 A1/A2 Stock
DPMS Buffer Spring LR-308 Rifle
DPMS Buffer LR-308 Rifle
.308 A3 UPPER RECEIVER
DPMS Bolt Carrier Assembly LR-308 308 Winchester Chrome
DPMS Free Float Tube Handguard Quad Rail LRT-SASS LR-308 Rifle Length Aluminum Black
Rainier Arms Select™ .308 Barrel - 18 BLK
POF-USA .308 Muzzle Brake
DPMS Gas Tube AR-15
DPMS MICRO GAS BLOCKS .750 DIA.
TROY INDUSTRIES REAR BUIS
TROY INDUSTRIES FOLDING BATTLE SIGHT

Thanks for the comments in advance

Re: Starting a .308 build in 3 weeks, need critiques

Be careful about the DPMS gas block and the Rainier Arms barrel. I've seen incidents in the past where DPMS has a different spacing for their set screws than conventional spacing. Some DPMS barrels and gas blocks have set screws that are closer together than those you would find on the normal gas blocks like those from VLTOR, Badger Ordnance, Rainier Arms, etc.
If you're going to get the Rainier Arms barrel, contact them and ask what they recommend for a gas block. Mike Hwang knows his stuff and won't steer you wrong.

Looks like many of the parts you selected are on backorder. I went with a Fulton Armory barrel on a similar project (it was in stock). An upper receiver block came in handy when putting the upper together. Magpul 20 rd Pmag would be nice (also on backorder) and ammo of course. What kind of optic, if any, are you going to put on your project?

http://www.fulton-armory.com/barrelfatitan20nmm110ss1x12875gasblockthreaded.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=17094/avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308/Product/AR-15-AR-STYLE-308-UPPER-RECEIVER-BLOCK

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31819/avs|Make_3=AR%20xzzx308/Product/AR-STYLE-308-PMAG-POLYMER-MAGAZINE

I like the mega uppers and lowers they are really nice. The select barrel isnt so hot from what I have read. Is dpms good quality?

DPMS chromed carrier is a waste. They chrome the carrier but the part you really want chromed - the bolt - isn't. So it's just a bling bling part.

Select barrels are good as long as you are realistic. It is a 250$ drop in barrel not a 500+$ cut-rifled custom.

JSESurplus sells the rifle length dpms 308 quad rails for 150$. That is also where I would get my buffer, spring, buffer tube and other little parts.

Unless your arms are really long, head is really really big you won't need the extra adjustment of a PRS. An A2 is fine.

Fulton has a clamp-on low profile gas block for 40$. Mine has seen about 600 rounds of 308 now and hasn't come loose. I would also give a fair amount of consideration to a fulton barrel+bolt combo. My stainless one shoots very well for the price.

I had a PWS FSC on my 308 and it was horrible, now I have a YHM flash hider and it is fine. An A2 would be fine as well. Don't overthink your muzzle device.

I have an 18" select for my Mega and can hit 12" steel plates easily at 600, not phenomenal and haven't shot for groups at distance but will kill an animal. I used a Vltor GB with mine.

I have a Mega and am partial to that but with DPMS upper receivers you have to be carefull, they have their slick side tall upper, but they have made two different height A3 uppers. Troy explains this in detail if you check out their 308 rails. Very few manufacturers will work for aftermarket rail systems. Since you are getting both DPMS rail and upper yoiu should be fine but be familiar with the issue.

I had a PRS on mine but switched to a UBR, I didnt need the adjustments so sold it. Depending on your glass and mount you may/may not need the adjustments.

Aside from the receiver block you list looks pretty much complete. Good luck

I just got an email today that Rainier Arms has the UltraMatch™ .308 Barrel - 18" in stock. Got the message about 6hr after ordering a JP supermatch.