• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting again after 35 years

WhiskeyBravo

Very Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
State of Confusion
At the ripe age of 15, some 45 years ago, to my mother’s angst and father’s encouragement I started reloading. It was all about cost savings. Around the age of 25 with 2 kids, a house mortgage and too much work I stopped reloading (I was also using Corbin tools to swage my own projectiles) and slowed somewhat in my shooting. At 25 I was lucky to get to a range once or twice a month. The game became time savings—so I just bought what I needed and stayed with easy to find cheap calibers (.223, .308, 30-06, 9mm etc.) Around the age of 55 with the kids gone, everything paid off, a very comfortable job and a fair amount of free time—I started shooting a lot more. My wife encourages me to buy whatever toys I want, so I do!

I find myself coming full circle to the topic of reloading because I’m starting to stray off the mainstream path into the world of ‘wildcats.’

I recently built a steel bench with the intent to start reloading again (3’ x 7’ x 1/2” plate top, 4x4x3/16 legs). I have begun the research to find the better tools out there. I still have my rockchucker, 40+ RCBS, Lee and Forster dies, beam scale, volumetric powder dispenser, case trimmer etc (mostly RCBS and all 35 to 45 years old with some bits not aging well after a lifetime of neglected storage.)

I’ll still buy cases of PRVI, FGMM and the like for ‘bulk’ shooting (AR, M1 carbine, M1 Garand, M1A etc when the kids come around!). I am NOT a bench rest guy in the pure sense of the word. I do have on my land dedicated 100, 800 and 1200 yard ranges. I compete only against myself and rarely have guests! Are progressives suitable for bench rest type reloading?

I think that I’ve settled on Whiddon die sets and formers. Is the Rockchucker good (precise) enough? Is there a need for ‘better’? Top end scale and trickler (again those words precise and accurate)? Looking for tools and souces…

I want to populate the bench with my tools before I begin again. My first two ‘wildcats’ are .22-243 & .338-’06 (barrels are on the way)… I plan to develop a load and then just precisely repeat after I find what I want. I have an AI-PSR and a DT as platforms for experimentation.

The question for those that might care to opine, if I set a $2500 budget to go ‘all in’ to the extent that I ‘need to’—what would you suggest as must haves to make precise, bench rest quality reloads in runs of 100 or less?

I've got to head out for a bit, but here are the core items that I would start with in your case. I would forget progressive right now - invest in that separately at a latter date.

Press - Redding Big Boss II or T7. Your current Rock Chucker is perfectly fine as well.
Dies - Whidden dies are nice. I like Redding Competition (Micrometer) dies also.
Scale/Powder Dispenser - RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Combo - Absolutely a must-have if you value your time!
Case headspace comparators and bullet comparators are also very good tools to have.
Invest in a good pair of of digital calipers. I use Starrett and Mitutoyo.
Dillon brass tumbler/separator is nice. Thumbler makes some nice units also.
Bullet-puller (Hornady makes a nice press-die option).
Powder funnels
Priming tool - I like the RCBS bench primer, but the hand primer is also good. You could press-prime, but I don't recommend it.
Reloading trays of some sort (not a requirement, but much easier).

With your budget, no problem.

I have been reloading for a meager 30 years. I started for the same reason you did, cost savings. Borrowed a set of Lyman tong tools and 310 dies for 30-06 and 45acp from my dad. Stepped up to a Hollywood press from him then bought my own Pacific O-frame.

Now I load for accuracy. I use a Forster co-ax, but your Rockchucker is just fine.
I use Forster & Redding bushing/bump dies for bolt guns and Hornady bushing FL dies for the gas guns.
I use a Lee 1000 for the pistols (45/9mm/38). I even used it for 38SC when I was shooting USPSA. I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds with it. I would get a Dillon 650 or 1050 if the cost doesn't create an issue.

Case trimmer - I have a Giraud and case holders/trimmers for 223, 260, 308 and 300WM. One of my best investments in this hobby.
Annealer - Again a Giraud but there are other automated ones that seem to have a good reputation. This will make your brass last MUCH longer and be more consistent in neck tension. If you are going to be widcatting, you'll do well to get an annealer.

Neck turner - Sinclair, K&M, Forster all work well. I haven't used 21st Century but heard good about it.