• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Starting first quasi-Precision build, AR10

crazymjb

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2012
This is my first post here and the title says it all. I've recently acquired an AR10A Upper and Lower, and am on the indefinite wait list for the bolt carrier group. I plan to do most of this project after the holidays, but I want some input from guys who presumably know about guns and precision shooting. I am not new to firearms, I am an NRA basic pistol instructor, as well as an 0331 in the Marine Corps with one pump to Afghanistan, and though not precision shooting, I also have qualified expert on my past 2 known distance ranges. I still would consider myself a casual shooter at home.

I have built a couple ARs over the years, so the actual construction process does not intimidate me, rather part selection does, specifically with regard to the barrel and FCG.

The objective of this build is to have a 16 inch barreled AR10 that can serve as a "battle" rifle but is more tuned for precision shots. Think if it in a kind of DMR sort of role. I will not be using this rifle for "blasting" but I expect the most I will shoot out to with any regularity is 300 yards due to where I have available to shoot. It may also eventually get used for hunting. Accuracy wise I am expecting sub MOA if I do my part. I basically want this rifle instead of a .308 bolt gun.

Currently for barrels I was looking between Rainier Select and Rainier Ultramatch. I believe with my shooting skills I likely wouldn't notice a huge difference if any between the two barrels. If those of you who know your guns say its worth it to go for the ultra-match over the select, I will definitely take that into consideration.

For triggers I was looking at the Geissele SD-E and SSA-E. I figured since the rifle will be somewhat of a "dual purpose" rifle, I didn't want something too sensitive or too light. The "internet consensus" seemed to be the Enhanced versions of the super dynamic and super semi-auto were the best bet.

I plan on just going with an ACS or ACS-L butt stock to cut down on weight, FSC30 brake as we can't have good flash-hiders in Mass and I love my FSC556, and probably the Daniel Defense 12 inch rails, as the "lightweight tubes" made by other manufacturers weight about the same with their little rail thingies attached, and I like the way the lite rail mounts up.

Happy to hear any of your thoughts.

Mike

Re: Starting first quasi-Precision build, AR10

So nobody has any input RE AR10 barrels?

Mike

I've got a build going right now, should be done by the time I get back from this deployment. I'm using a Rainier Ultramatch in 16" and am basically doing the same thing you are but am trying to stretch out to 600. I shoot highpower when I'm home along with some other "tactical" matches and hold my own. I figure a 1 moa gun is good out to 600 easy with 800 pushing the limits (that is the 308 for you though). It will be mid December but if you don't mind waiting that long I'll give you a review and let you know what I think (for what its worth). I know it's hard to wait that long, but it's still cheaper than making a $400 dollar mistake. I'll include 5 and 10 shot groups after a short break in. I'm expecting right at an inch from the claims of others but its always hard to tell what is BS. Rainier's service has been good though and they have back up the barrel with a 30 day money back thing.

I'm not too worried about the difficulty of putting it together, been there done that with plenty of AR-15s. I just want to make sure the parts I am getting are realistic for my goals. I want an AR-10 platform as a replacement for a mid-range bolt gun that also could serve fine as a "battle rifle." I want a combination of portability, close-in usability, and repeatable practical accuracy.

There doesn't seem to be a huge paper trail of reviews for Rainier ultra-match barrels, but Rainier has a solid reputation, and from what I have read these barrels are good to go. A lot of the other tier-1 barrel companies have infinite wait times listed on their products. On the other hand, Rainier guarantees Sub-MOA on their select barrels as well, so I don't know that it is worth the price jump to the ultramatchs.

I will ultimately be shooting probably exclusively hand loads as well, so I'll have to go trying out some various load data. I am hoping I can get some solid loads using H4895 as I'd like to standardize a powder for my Garand, heavy .223, and .308.

Mike

I've already got the Armalite Upper and Lower. I thought about going with Mega but I was able to track down the "A" model stripped upper and stripped lower, so I went the Armalite route.

Awaiting everything haha. I think I am sold on the Geissele SD-E trigger for this build at this point. I was going to place an order for some more lower parts but spent the money on some badly needed reloading components instead. (I try to only use NRA course profits for gun purchase related stuff at this point).

Mike [img:center]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/crazymjb/20121016_182817.jpg?t=1350427265[/img]

I just finished a build like you are talking about. Here is what I settled on:

POF upper and lower
ACS mil-spec
18" Lilja barrel
FCS30 brake
Troy low profile gas block

If you are trying to replace a bolt gun, I would seriously consider a barrel longer than 16". It is a exponential loss in velocity on any thing shorter than 20"

image-1.jpg

Hey just thought I'd throw out an update.

I am pretty much waiting for Armalite to get and ship me a BCG at this point. I also am yet to order the rail system, though I am pretty sure I will be going with the 12 inch Daniel Defense lite rail.

So far I have the lower built with an ACS-L and Geissele SD-E and I have a 16" Noveske with pinned gas block sitting in my safe and an FSC30 to go with it.

I am pretty much at the mercy of Armalite at this point. Once my BCG is in the mail I will probably go ahead and order a rail system.

For optics I am currently leaning towards the Weaver 3-15, any thoughts? That is towards the top end of my current budget.

Mike

I have two nearly identical builds going on now. Mega Maten uppers and lowers. I ordered two Bartlein barrels and Fred Sebrewski at Saberco is installing Bat Machine barrel extensions and chambering with supplied bolts. The barrels will be 20" in length with custom brakes that Fred is making. My stepson has the Magpul Prs stock and Troy Alpha rail 15" in front. I went with the standard A2 stock and the Alpha rail. If I have issues with height I will install a Karsten Cheek piece. BCG's are DPMS, and the triggers are SSA's. I looked at the difference the 4" of barrel made from 16" to 20" and determined that it made enough difference to justify it. I was thinking of a 24" barrel at first, but when I looked at the 4" after 20" I determined that I could live without it. It is not as significant from 20" to 24" as 16" to 20". Just my personal thought. You will enjoy your weapon no matter what. It is a very personal thing. Enjoy.

Living in Massachusetts there are NO ranges that are within a reasonable distance more than 600 yards, and anything over 300 will be a day trip, so 16 should be fine/more useful size wise for my purposes.

Mike

Just added new post in semi-auto section talking about the build that I just finished and some of the range results using a 16" rainier ultramatch, thought you might want to check it out.

Finally got it put together for the most part guys... Although funds are lacking at the moment as I just ordered a Tavor. It will probably be glass-less until at least the end of the summer. It doesn't help that .308 is nearly impossible to find at a reasonable price, let alone reloading components, and I plan on shooting almost exclusively reloads with this thing due to cost of good ammo. The BCG I ordered in the fall showed up today, I only had literally 1 round of 308 and I tested it behind the house, it fired, and locked back. This weekend I plan on trying my luck at 100 yards, probably with irons or an eotech. As it is I'm waiting for the KAC micro front sight post I ordered to show up.

20130509_180837_zps25db9ec4.jpg

Final parts list
Armalite forged upper and lower (SR25 pattern). I've never felt an upper and lower fit together this well. Period.
Armalite bolt carrier group
"Custom" ejection port door ;)
Geissele SD-E
Noveske 16" 1:10 medium contour barrel
PWS FSC30 break
Noveske 60* safety
Magpul ACS-L
Magpul Trigger Guard
Midwest Industries Gen 2 SS lightweight rail (Was going for as light as possible, so decided against the DD rail)
KAC Micro sights
Harris/Larue bipod
Ergo Deluxe grip

Mike

Anyone know who has a good price on the 3-15x50 weaver emdr? I used to seem them for 720 now the best I can find is 750, and they are running a good mail in rebate.

Mike