• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Starting my Skull Collection

blksno

I don't have one
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2009
    SD
    EDIT: Added this new one that I did for my grandparents for Christmas. Photo was from their 50th Anniversary.

I did a few deer skulls for my dad last over christmas vacation (one is shown here, my first practice skull) and while down in Texas I was asked to do a cow skull for a neighbor fella.

It's not my best work but thought i'd share. A few guys over at the PredatorMasters thought it was the cats meow.

I'm hopeing to offer this as a trade service some time, where I will do some work on a skull if the person making the request will be willing to donate a skull of similar size for my own collection as payment. for example. you got a deer skull you want done? donate a coyote and a beaver.
    You got a bobcat you want done? donate a bobcat. all reasonable offers considered etc etc.

I cant afford to buy skulls of my own yet, but one day perhaps i will start with replicas. for now, strait up trades and my own trigger time are my best hope.

what ya think?

Re: Starting my Skull Collection

Wow thats some pretty nice work you have done there kudos to you
    smile.gif

Airbrush? Freehand?

not trying to be stupid or anything. before i entered into this post i saw the photo on the side of the photo list. It look slike a female underwear i was like "w.t.h"? But then i saw the inside post. Nice skull there with an awesome tattoo on it. A+

i just freehand pencil on them. when i start taking requests and doing them for people i hope to sketch on some customer supplied photos and things like that but for now they are just random google images.

i just use a .07 mechanical pencil and when its all done, spray fix it with a clear matte finish.

they should be permanent as long as they skull is kept indoors. the pencil/spray fix wont smear, yellow or flake off so the life span of the art will be the lifespan of the skull itself.

i've considered a clear lacquer but it takes away from the natural look of the skull imo. i already use 4-5 coats of the Matte Finish spray

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patriotoutlaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice work. You could probably sell as many as you care to do. </div></div>

thanks, that would be awesome...problem is that i dont have an endless supply and i actually dont have any at all right now (except for my dad's and those are going on the wall)

Hey Bubba, if you have any meat markets close at hand you can probably acquire all the doe skulls and small buck skulls you'd want, during deer season. I know that here in MO there are 55 gal. drums filled with them during firearms season. Just a thought of an easy way to acquire some "canvas" for your fine talent. Good luck to ya.

Damm, I walked by a couple coyote skulls back in early may.
    Going to have to put some bubble wrap in my pack

i've been passing the word along to anyone that has long horn cattle that if something should turn up dead...i'd like first dibs on the skull.
    I'm looking to basically fill an entire wall with different species one day. gotta start somewhere.

very cool i always keep my eye out for skulls but i always see them when im lost in the woods (on purpose) hunting, i'm definetly going to start carrying some bubble wrap might be a fun thing to collect
    smile.gif