• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting new .260 rem AR build

lonestarLR

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
West Tx
Well I got to looking around and got the itch for another AR style rifle but really didnt want it in 5.56 so iam going .260 rem for its hunting and long range capabilitys. I found the billet lower/upper i think iam going to use

http://www.goldenstatetactical.com/jd-machine-308-billet-receiver-matched-308.html

from there iam making a list tonight so i can start ordering parts. Any input would be appreciated. Thinking 20-22" meduim weight barrel, Viking tactics for end, rear stock?, and prolly a vortex viper scope FFP/mil hash reticle, and so on. Thanks in advance. I will be using this rifle to hunt, carry and play on our 1000yrd+ range once finished.

Re: Starting new .260 rem AR build

I would go with the 22" if you plan on trying 1000. If you have a barrel made use a Remington Var. contour blank. You will like the weight. It will be packable, but also rigid enough for target shooting etc. The Krieger 1/8 works well. The JP handguard has a 2" dia. just like a regular AR. They feel great. You may also look at the Mega Arms Monolithic upper. They are light.

+1 on Mega MA-Ten but the mono is hefty. Mine weighs in pretty close to 15 lbs with a Rainier select 18 inch 308 bbl. The Mega is a phenomenal platform to work with.

I do eventually want to do a 260 or 6.5 upper, or just build a whole rifle, with the Mega. I do plan on using a JP forend as I won't need rails every where, probably just one for bipod.

J. Boyette turned me onto the OPS Inc muzzle brake and its amazing. With my rifle I can shoot out to 700 and easily see the splash from there and all ranges in. For 260 it has less recoil and probably won't need anything on the muzzle but keep it in mind.

For stock I use a UBR on my Mega. I had a PRS but didn't need the cheek rest due to the mount I used. The PRS has pluses and minuses. If you do go carbine/entry receiver length (UBR uses entry length) I highly suggest getting the Slash CAR 10 buffer set up.

Trigger is more or less whatever flavor you prefer. I have an SSA on mine and am pleased with it. The Geisseles are nice but there are numerous others out there.

For general all around weight savings get the JP forend and an A1/A2 stock. Good luck, let us know what you are getting once you decide.

thanks for the replys guys. iam working on making the list and trying to find a barrel

My 20" 260 is good at 1k.
31 MOA above 100 yards with 140 A-max at 2650 ft/sec..
It should be supersonic out to around 1250-1300 yards @ STP.
It's not a ton better than the 308, but ballistics-wise it does do everything with a little less effort.
With a brake, spotting your impacts, even as close as 2-300 yards is easy.
At 1K you have to be patient in the scope as you wait for the impact because you've been watching the whole time.
I do have trouble staying on target through to impact with the 308, and no brake, especially at distances.
Loading the bi-pod helps a little.

I do love that caliber, in the AR platform.

This rifle that was for sale should help with some ideas:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...310#Post2961310

Have a custom barrel made using a RV contour. You will like the weight. Most pre-made large AR platform barrels are too heavy.

Your build sounds very similar to the one I am starting. I went with a 24" .750 Brux barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor that I picked from RWS here on the hide. It is a lot smaller than my buddy's DPMS LRCreedmoor.

Gonna use the Ma-Ten set which should come next week.

IMHO I feel the 22-24" will help out with the longer shots. My intended us for this weapon will be a 2ndary comp weapon for 700yds and closer. Plan on trying to push the 123 A-max's out of it.

Also I plan on running PST FFP 4-16 MIl/MIl.

I have a couple of AR-10's in 260. One is a JP Enterprises upper assembly which is a 1/4 Minute gun. The other is one I put together myself with the exception if the barrel. Sent everything to Krieger and they installed the barrel and head spaced the bolt. It shoots lights out also out to 1k yds

All that to say, you might want to consider purchasing an upper assembly (ie JP) or at least have someone install the barrel who knows what they're doing. I've been playing around with AR-10 platform rifles in different calibers for 12yrs. In my experience, they're not as forgiving as AR-15 rifles when building them up YMMV.

Good luck with your project. You'll find an AR in 260 to be tons of fun!

DT1,
Interesting observation. I haven't built up a 260/308 gas gun, but have built a number of 5.56/6.5 Grendels without any problems.

With the additional cost of buying the larger tools needed for the 260/308 gas gun, it just might be worthwhile to have someone else do the build.

I'm beginning to find that simply buying the components for a build costs nearly as much as buying a pre-built one. I think that is because companies that do a large number of builds can buy the components in bulk for a much better price than I can locate. If I add in the cost of the necessary tools for such a build, it quickly reaches the cost of a pre-built one.