• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting out again, what's a good starter rifle?

Peepaw

Private
Minuteman
Feb 6, 2010
Pearland, TX USA
OK, short and quick version..My dad was an avid gun collector in late 70's/early 80's, and we went hunting alot (bird, deer, hog, etc..) and shot mostly .30-06, .30-30, and 12 gauge (semi auto) Dad was an alcoholic, lots his job, sold off his guns. Fast forward to early 90's, some friends and I started hunting again, and picked up a .30-30. Hunted for a few seasons, and all the while I was trying to get my business going, so stopped again, and sold my rifle.

Well, now my business is going, and want to get back into it again.

So, question is: What rifle? (deer mostly)

Will have to say, that I am not all that familiar with ammo and such...I was more of a, "Ok, have a .30-30, go buy .30-30 ammo, and go hunt. Clean gun after shooting. Put gun away." THAT type of guy.
NOW, I want to know how it works, what grain this and what twist that (all in due time of course).

I build Hot Rods for a living, so was unlike me to go shoot/clean and not know what I was shooting. With a car, I can tear it down, put it back together blind folded and know every square inch of the car, what does what, which part does what, how it works, etc...JUST like YOU guys with your guns (or most of you anyways)

So, now I want to get back into it, and this time learn about it, so was hoping you guys could point me in right direction on a nice starter rifle. I want a bolt action, and was looking at the 700 Remingtion. Good? Bad? Etc...

LONG TERM, I would like to step up to more serious rifle, but first things first.

Re: Starting out again, what's a good starter rifle?

I should have listened to advice given to me when I started out:

1 good rifle in .308 (Remington PSS or Remington 5R).
1 good scope (Super Sniper or similar).
Lots of ammo and range time.

It would have saved me a lot of money and helped me to be a better shooter. I'm no expert, but I would recommend the above.

What is your budget? Lower end...Pick up a 700 SPS Tactical 308 ($600 out the door). Buy rings and bases ONCE. Go with NF, Badger or the like ($250ish). I really like the Nikon Buckmaster scopes for shooting AND hunting ($300ish). Step up to a used Leupold MK4 or Nikon Tactical if you can ($700-$900). Ammo and or reloading is the next step. Reloading can be enjoyable esp if you have a son or daughter to help out. I really starting shooting A LOT MORE once I started reloading.

if you just wanted a hunting rifle a .300 win mag would be a good start. you could hunt everything in the united states with this cartridge and it has lots of energy to knock whitetails down. BUT premium hunting ammo isnt cheap for it. and all that adds up once you get to the range and start squeezing the trigger. for the optics there are alot of different scopes to pick from. if you wanted to shoot long range you could start with a leupold mk4, nightforce nxs series, schmidt and bender and so on.

but if you were hunting primarily whitetails i would go with a .308 based off a r700 action. an amazing cartridge and not too expensive to shoot. you can get factory match ammo for right at one dollar and a couple cents a round. whatever you do get good ammo, good optic and good rings and bases. if you choose to get the remington 700 series action you can customize the heck out of it. i hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have listened to advice given to me when I started out:

It would have saved me a lot of money and helped me to be a better shooter. I'm no expert, but I would recommend the above.

</div></div>

Good advice.

I'd only differ on the scope. I'd put mroe $$$ into a better scope. (least as I'm familiar with the "old" SUper Sniper scope. Owned two, sold both for Leupys) I've had good experience with Leupold, tho I've heard unsubstantiated rumors their quality may be slipping. I'm told Nikon also makes very good glass. I'd say getting $500 worth of scope (i.e. NOT simply spending $500) is a good benchmark.

Get high quality, stout, rings also.

But the general advice is spot on. As they say "Fear the man with only one gun" (in the old West context, it meant he knew well how to use it. Today, it can often mean the gun never sees the light of day)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have listened to advice given to me when I started out:

</div></div>

yeah, this stuff gets expensive, REAL quick...and that is why I wanted to ask the "pro's" before I just went out and threw some money down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Snow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is your budget? Lower end...Pick up a 700 SPS Tactical 308 ($600 out the door). Buy rings and bases ONCE. Go with NF, Badger or the like ($250ish). I really like the Nikon Buckmaster scopes for shooting AND hunting ($300ish). Step up to a used Leupold MK4 or Nikon Tactical if you can ($700-$900). Ammo and or reloading is the next step. Reloading can be enjoyable esp if you have a son or daughter to help out. I really starting shooting A LOT MORE once I started reloading. </div></div>

My budget, I would like to stay in teh $500-$1000 range starting out, and would like to spend GOOD (but not CRAZY good) money on a GOOD scope. It would be nice to be able to step into a real nice rifle after this starter AND be able to transfer my scope over.

No kids to help out (yet, daughter is 4, son is 2)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you just wanted a hunting rifle a .300 win mag would be a good start. you could hunt everything in the united states with this cartridge and it has lots of energy to knock whitetails down. BUT premium hunting ammo isnt cheap for it. and all that adds up once you get to the range and start squeezing the trigger. for the optics there are alot of different scopes to pick from. if you wanted to shoot long range you could start with a leupold mk4, nightforce nxs series, schmidt and bender and so on.

but if you were hunting primarily whitetails i would go with a .308 based off a r700 action. an amazing cartridge and not too expensive to shoot. you can get factory match ammo for right at one dollar and a couple cents a round. whatever you do get good ammo, good optic and good rings and bases. if you choose to get the remington 700 series action you can customize the heck out of it. i hope this helps </div></div>

Wow, helps alot. Yes, my THEORY was to buy a good gun, but BETTER scope...that way when i step into a nicer rifle, I can take my scope over and be happy with it. SO, if I have to spend a litle extra money now, it would be on the scope. I know scopes can get CRAZY $$$$, but (again, rookie here guys, so bear with me) you think I can get a real nice scope for @ $400-$500?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JPipes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I should have listened to advice given to me when I started out:

</div></div>

Good advice.

I'd only differ on the scope. I'd put mroe $$$ into a better scope. (least as I'm familiar with the "old" SUper Sniper scope. Owned two, sold both for Leupys) I've had good experience with Leupold, tho I've heard unsubstantiated rumors their quality may be slipping. I'm told Nikon also makes very good glass. I'd say getting $500 worth of scope (i.e. NOT simply spending $500) is a good benchmark.

Get high quality, stout, rings also.

But the general advice is spot on. As they say "Fear the man with only one gun" (in the old West context, it meant he knew well how to use it. Today, it can often mean the gun never sees the light of day)

</div></div>

Guess I should have read your post before I made my last post...as it seems I CAN get a good scope for @ $500. Now, are you saying I can get rings AND scope for $500? Or JUST teh scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chris Snow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is your budget? Lower end...Pick up a 700 SPS Tactical 308 ($600 out the door). Buy rings and bases ONCE. Go with NF, Badger or the like ($250ish). I really like the Nikon Buckmaster scopes for shooting AND hunting ($300ish). Step up to a used Leupold MK4 or Nikon Tactical if you can ($700-$900). Ammo and or reloading is the next step. Reloading can be enjoyable esp if you have a son or daughter to help out. I really starting shooting A LOT MORE once I started reloading. </div></div>

How much does a NEW Leupold MK4Nikon Tactical go for then, yikes!?!?!?

What can I find in the $500 range with rings? Anything worth a hoot...or am I needing to save some more pennies????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if you just wanted a hunting rifle a .300 win mag would be a good start. you could hunt everything in the united states with this cartridge and it has lots of energy to knock whitetails down. BUT premium hunting ammo isnt cheap for it. and all that adds up once you get to the range and start squeezing the trigger. for the optics there are alot of different scopes to pick from. if you wanted to shoot long range you could start with a leupold mk4, nightforce nxs series, schmidt and bender and so on.

but if you were hunting primarily whitetails i would go with a .308 based off a r700 action. an amazing cartridge and not too expensive to shoot. you can get factory match ammo for right at one dollar and a couple cents a round. whatever you do get good ammo, good optic and good rings and bases. if you choose to get the remington 700 series action you can customize the heck out of it. i hope this helps </div></div>

So, are you saying I can get .308 cart cheaper than .300?

OK, another question guys. Since it has been a LONG time since I last bought a gun, and internet was NOT @. How does one buy a rifle off the internet. I see ALOT of rifles listed on the site, but saying they will ship ONLY to a dealer.

So, do you have to KNOW someone at a local dealer to do that? or how does that work exactly? As, I do not know anyone at a guns dealer, so does that mean I need or have to buy locally?

A little help tehre guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Buying online requires that you have the online company ship to a dealer or a gun shop that has a FFL.

I was going to buy my 308 online but if you have to pay a shop to do a firearms transfer, you might as well buy it from them.

Im new to buying guns, ive shot my dads rifles but never bought one. I recently bought a 17hmr from a local shop and now im buying a 308. I tried to go to a bigger shop (there is a gander mtn in my area) but they are way overpriced. I also feel good about buying products made in america, and buying them from local mom and pop shops.

before you BUY anything, read for about two weeks on here. Go through every thread. Look up everything on guns! Becuase you buy a gun without knowledge, i gurentee in about a month or so when you start learning you going to regret buying that gun...
So just slow down take your time, read read read, learn reead reviews on all sorts of bolt actions, differnt calibers all that.. Goodluck and have fun!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, short and quick version..My dad was an avid gun collector in late 70's/early 80's, and we went hunting alot (bird, deer, hog, etc..) and shot mostly .30-06, .30-30, and 12 gauge (semi auto) Dad was an alcoholic, lots his job, sold off his guns. Fast forward to early 90's, some friends and I started hunting again, and picked up a .30-30. Hunted for a few seasons, and all the while I was trying to get my business going, so stopped again, and sold my rifle.

Will have to say, that I am not all that familiar with ammo and such...I was more of a, "Ok, have a .30-30, go buy .30-30 ammo, and go hunt. Clean gun after shooting. Put gun away." THAT type of guy.
NOW, I want to know how it works, what grain this and what twist that (all in due time of course).

I build Hot Rods for a living, so was unlike me to go shoot/clean and not know what I was shooting. With a car, I can tear it down, put it back together blind folded and know every square inch of the car, what does what, which part does what, how it works, etc...JUST like YOU guys with your guns (or most of you anyways)

So, now I want to get back into it, and this time learn about it, so was hoping you guys could point me in right direction on a nice starter rifle. I want a bolt action, and was looking at the 700 Remingtion. Good? Bad? Etc...

LONG TERM, I would like to step up to more serious rifle, but first things first. </div></div>

Tikka T3 is where I'll start my next build.My friends bone stock $600 T3 in 6.5x55 shoots right along with my $2500 custom 700!Makes me sick
smile.gif

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, short and quick version..My dad was an avid gun collector in late 70's/early 80's, and we went hunting alot (bird, deer, hog, etc..) and shot mostly .30-06, .30-30, and 12 gauge (semi auto) Dad was an alcoholic, lots his job, sold off his guns. Fast forward to early 90's, some friends and I started hunting again, and picked up a .30-30. Hunted for a few seasons, and all the while I was trying to get my business going, so stopped again, and sold my rifle.

LONG TERM, I would like to step up to more serious rifle, but first things first. </div></div>

Tikka T3 is where I'll start my next build.My friends bone stock $600 T3 in 6.5x55 shoots right along with my $2500 custom 700!Makes me sick
smile.gif

Steve </div></div> My sons rifle is a .308 Tikka T3 in a Manners Stock. Its one hell of a shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
Guess I should have read your post before I made my last post...as it seems I CAN get a good scope for @ $500. Now, are you saying I can get rings AND scope for $500? Or JUST teh scope? </div></div>

There's some good Leupolds / Nikons / other in the $500 range.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-3-VX-3L-Riflescopes-C1695.aspx?s=Name ASC&p=1

http://swfa.com/Nikon-Monarch-Riflescopes-C1455.aspx

Good rings will run ya another $100-125. Think: Badger Ordinance, A.R.M.S., PRS or equivalents

http://www.mwgco.com/ar-15_accessories/category/Scope_Rings.html

</div></div>
Thats good solid advice..And a great place to start....Shoot until you wear out the barrel and then start upgrading the rifle, if you feel the need......SmokeRolls

Howa 1500 tactical .308 20" barrel $525

Konus M30 4x16-44 $350

Steel 1 piece base $75 E-bay (rem 700 fits Howa)

Burris tactical rings(low)30mm $35ea

Couple of cases of Fed Match or Black Hills

and some range time. This combo will shoot better than you can.

THEN (years later)either talk to Pete Roedale and build the HOWA or go custom.

If you can afford to spend more than the purchase price of a Super Sniper 10X fixed then the options are there but IMO it's going to be hard to beat the SS 10X price for price and the SS will run with the Luepold tactical scopes. The leupys may be a touch better in refinement and add a plus at having an adjustable magnification. I'm just saying that you will still do well with the SS and save alot of jingle... Get into reloading your own bullets with the money you save in buying the SS and then upgrade at a later time....You can save alot of money and achieve greater accuracy and rise to a greater level of shooting knowledge by reloading and seeing the fruits of your labor. Good luck with your shooting endevour.....You don't have to spend alot of money to enjoy this sport....That's optional...SmokeRolls

For a first rifle, I'd stick to basics. Unless you're planning on going with competition as your primary activity, I'd consider an entry level package gun, preferably Remington of Savage

Remington makes the M770 package rifle, very basic, extremely cheaply made, very adequate as a hunter's starter rifle, but not very compatible with upgrades. Many here would recommend against it, and I understand their reasoning, but for an all-up package starting around a $460, it's very hard to ignore. Since my own viewpoint about hunting rifles treats them in a highly generic manner, I look for the most bang for the buck. The Remington M770 does this for large market.

Savage Arms also offers basic package hunting rifles, and their Stevens line is a particularly capable and affordable option. Also very basic, they are far more compatible with upgrades, and Savage rifles are recognized as being among the most accurate out-of-box rifles available. Savage has committed itself to providing the broadest range of markets with market leading products.

These are not high precision rifles, and their performance will reflect this. But for the beginner, they are both appropriate and adequate. As skills improve, more able implements can be justified.

But the skills don't need such rifles for training and practice. The ideal training rifle is a simple, basic .22LR. I recommend a basic Savage MKIIF. Mine has served me and many young shooters extremely well over the past decade and more. Unlike the centerfire rifle, the .22LR is virtually impossible to wear out, shoot out, or lie to the shooter about their performance. Ammunition is taken out of the equation as an unknown when performance sags.

IMHO the best beginner rifle is pair of them. An inexpensive Centerfire package gun and an inexpensive .22LR bolt gun. Big dollar items are good purchases, but only after the skills justify the investment. The most crucial commodities for the beginning shooters are ammo, range time, and most important, good guidance, in person, from an experienced shooter. That's where the money needs to go, and that's why the .22LR provides the best value for the money.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forest12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">before you BUY anything, read for about two weeks on here. Go through every thread. Look up everything on guns! Becuase you buy a gun without knowledge, i gurentee in about a month or so when you start learning you going to regret buying that gun...
So just slow down take your time, read read read, learn reead reviews on all sorts of bolt actions, differnt calibers all that.. Goodluck and have fun! </div></div>
+1 I've changed my mind in a starter rifle 5x in the month that I've been reading here.... I am sure it'll change again before I purchase.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">... Get into reloading your own bullets with the money you save in buying the SS and then upgrade at a later time....</div></div>

Very good advice to get into handloading.

Developing tailored loads that shoot well in whatever rifle you get will prolly give you better accuracy that factory ammo in a rifle that costs twice aas much.

I too have heard alot of good things about Howa.... you get your money's worth, maybe more, from what I've heard.

I would caution anyone about the Super Sniper, tho. Unless they've improved it measurably since about 5 years ago... they have very mushy clicks, almost to the point of non-repeatability. Like I said, I owned two of them.....really WANTED to like them, but sold both for Leupold. Mushy clicks leave me with a mushy feeling about dialing in windage and elevation.

OK, if you go down to the Firearms For Sale classifieds, there is this package deal for sale: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1616308#Post1616308

There it is right there - a turn-key rifle system that will do all you want until you wear the bore out. For sale by a fellow Texan, so a face-to-face is doable.

You get a complete system; he gets cash for the baby-on-the-way - win/win for all.

One thing you have to do before anything is this- Be very honest with how you are going to use this rifle, both now and in the future.

One thing you have to realize is that this forum is populated primarily with shooters that are interested in other than just deer hunting. The rifle that I (and many other members) would recommend is going to be different for the types of shooting we do than strickly a hunting rifle.

We recommend rifles with a focus on Precision shooting, tactical shooting and long range shooting. This may NOT be the same rifle as a strickly once a year deer hunting rifle. Do these other aspects of the shooting sport interest you?

Unless you forsee yourself engaging in extreme aspects of hunting (600 plus yard shots, for example) there are tons of rifles that will make a great hunting rifle.

That said, if I were to recommend a rifle ONLY for deer hunting (no long range or precision shooting), and for engagements no more than 200 yards...it would be a good old fashioned lever action with a 3-9 power variable scope.

If I have misread what you are looking for, and you do wish to broaden your shooting style, the suggestion will be different (Rem 700 or Savage 10).

Best of luck in your search.

My short range/brush gun is a Win '94AE carbine, .44Rem Mag, and wears a dot scope.

My open field hunting rifle is a lighweight Win 70 .30-'06, with a Tasco VAR624X42M 6-24x42mm MilDot scope.

Greg

Gugubica nailed it. You have come to a tactical marksmanship site asking about a hunting gun. That's not wrong, but it may not fit your goals. Being in the Hot Rod world, it would be like asking drag strip guys about the best equipment for oval use. The main question is about your thoughts on tactical vs hunting application.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forest12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">before you BUY anything, read for about two weeks on here. Go through every thread. Look up everything on guns! Becuase you buy a gun without knowledge, i gurentee in about a month or so when you start learning you going to regret buying that gun...
So just slow down take your time, read read read, learn reead reviews on all sorts of bolt actions, differnt calibers all that.. Goodluck and have fun! </div></div>

very well said, and I am with ya on that....I have already bought numerous magazines out there on rifles/assault rifles, as well as joined up here (found you guys by checking out anotehr company's rifle, this site was linked off of them..they had VERY NICE rifles, but just a LITTLE out of my price range..$3K and up. Haha!)

Yes, in no hurry..so I am gonna take my time, and make my 1st purchase a vey well educated one. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garandman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[
Guess I should have read your post before I made my last post...as it seems I CAN get a good scope for @ $500. Now, are you saying I can get rings AND scope for $500? Or JUST teh scope? </div></div>

There's some good Leupolds / Nikons / other in the $500 range.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-VX-3-VX-3L-Riflescopes-C1695.aspx?s=Name ASC&p=1

http://swfa.com/Nikon-Monarch-Riflescopes-C1455.aspx

Good rings will run ya another $100-125. Think: Badger Ordinance, A.R.M.S., PRS or equivalents

http://www.mwgco.com/ar-15_accessories/category/Scope_Rings.html
</div></div>

Thanks for teh links, will check em out after I reply to everyone. THANKS!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Howa 1500 tactical .308 20" barrel $525

Konus M30 4x16-44 $350

Steel 1 piece base $75 E-bay (rem 700 fits Howa)

Burris tactical rings(low)30mm $35ea

Couple of cases of Fed Match or Black Hills

and some range time. This combo will shoot better than you can.

THEN (years later)either talk to Pete Roedale and build the HOWA or go custom.

</div></div>

Seems to be right up my alley, and in my price range for what appears to be a very nice setup. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, short and quick version..My dad was an avid gun collector in late 70's/early 80's, and we went hunting alot (bird, deer, hog, etc..) and shot mostly .30-06, .30-30, and 12 gauge (semi auto) Dad was an alcoholic, lots his job, sold off his guns. Fast forward to early 90's, some friends and I started hunting again, and picked up a .30-30. Hunted for a few seasons, and all the while I was trying to get my business going, so stopped again, and sold my rifle.

smile.gif

Steve </div></div>

Wow, seems to be a very nice rifle for us "budget" guys to be able to shoot so well. Will have to take a look at that. THANKS!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a first rifle, I'd stick to basics. Unless you're planning on going with competition as your primary activity, I'd consider an entry level package gun, preferably Remington of Savage

Remington makes the M770 package rifle, very basic, extremely cheaply made, very adequate as a hunter's starter rifle, but not very compatible with upgrades. Many here would recommend against it, and I understand their reasoning, but for an all-up package starting around a $460, it's very hard to ignore. Since my own viewpoint about hunting rifles treats them in a highly generic manner, I look for the most bang for the buck. The Remington M770 does this for large market.

Savage Arms also offers basic package hunting rifles, and their Stevens line is a particularly capable and affordable option. Also very basic, they are far more compatible with upgrades, and Savage rifles are recognized as being among the most accurate out-of-box rifles available. Savage has committed itself to providing the broadest range of markets with market leading products.

These are not high precision rifles, and their performance will reflect this. But for the beginner, they are both appropriate and adequate. As skills improve, more able implements can be justified.

But the skills don't need such rifles for training and practice. The ideal training rifle is a simple, basic .22LR. I recommend a basic Savage MKIIF. Mine has served me and many young shooters extremely well over the past decade and more. Unlike the centerfire rifle, the .22LR is virtually impossible to wear out, shoot out, or lie to the shooter about their performance. Ammunition is taken out of the equation as an unknown when performance sags.

IMHO the best beginner rifle is pair of them. An inexpensive Centerfire package gun and an inexpensive .22LR bolt gun. Big dollar items are good purchases, but only after the skills justify the investment. The most crucial commodities for the beginning shooters are ammo, range time, and most important, good guidance, in person, from an experienced shooter. That's where them money needs to go, and that's why the .22LR provides the best value for the money.

Greg </div></div>

Funny you say that (bout the .22) I was talking with my Bro the other day, and i asked himif he still had his 9MM. He said no, but he has a .22 rifle. i was like hey! Lets go shoot!! He was lke OK...so this weekend we plan on doing plenty of shooting with his .22...and what makes this even fnnier (not haha) but one of teh magazines I was reading, guy bought/tested 2 new .22 caliber AR15 "look alike" (can't remember teh models) and said that was teh BEST place to start..to get a feel for teh rifle using cheap/inexpensive ammo with teh .22 and THEN go shoot it up with his actual AR15.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, if you go down to the Firearms For Sale classifieds, there is this package deal for sale: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1616308#Post1616308

There it is right there - a turn-key rifle system that will do all you want until you wear the bore out. For sale by a fellow Texan, so a face-to-face is doable.

You get a complete system; he gets cash for the baby-on-the-way - win/win for all. </div></div>

Thanks for the link, and I am going to check it out as soon as I finish responding to everyone's post. Thanks!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One thing you have to do before anything is this- Be very honest with how you are going to use this rifle, both now and in the future.

One thing you have to realize is that this forum is populated primarily with shooters that are interested in other than just deer hunting. The rifle that I (and many other members) would recommend is going to be different for the types of shooting we do than strickly a hunting rifle.

We recommend rifles with a focus on Precision shooting, tactical shooting and long range shooting. This may NOT be the same rifle as a strickly once a year deer hunting rifle. Do these other aspects of the shooting sport interest you?

Unless you forsee yourself engaging in extreme aspects of hunting (600 plus yard shots, for example) there are tons of rifles that will make a great hunting rifle.

That said, if I were to recommend a rifle ONLY for deer hunting (no long range or precision shooting), and for engagements no more than 200 yards...it would be a good old fashioned lever action with a 3-9 power variable scope.

If I have misread what you are looking for, and you do wish to broaden your shooting style, the suggestion will be different (Rem 700 or Savage 10).

Best of luck in your search. </div></div>

OK, being COMPLETELY honest with myself, this is what i see....some deer hunting, 1-2 trips a season is all, PLUS ALOT of range shooting and eventually I would like to be able to get into some long distance shooting/competition EVENTUALLY. Not saying I am gonna go compete next year or next or whatever...just some day. I have ALWAYS been fascinated with long distance shooting (friend of mine who I no longer talk with, his Dad was marksman, and avid gun collector, made his own stocks/ammo the whole nine yards....he was always making trips out to Wyoming and out that way to go hunting, and taking 800,900+ yard kills and again, was always so interested in it, and said one day I would like to do it.

Nw that my business is going pretty good, and I don't have to work weekends anymore, I would like to start shooting. Now, i don't know how much long range shooting i can expect in the Houston area (hahahaha), but I DO have a friend out west of San Antonio that has 300 acres that I can out to and do some shooting with.

So, again, honestly...deer hunting every season, but more rounds will be fired on a range. And I thought a nice solid deer rifle will get me going in right direction, and THAT is why I said that IF i was to spend more moey on something, it would be the scope in hopes that I could transfer it when I bought a more serious rifle. Besides, IF I was to buy (as an example) a 700, resale value on guns seem to be pretty good, correct? So, IF i was to seel it to help finance a better rifle, I really would not lose out on that much, would I (assuming of course, I take care of rifle, etc..)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My short range/brush gun is a Win '94AE carbine, .44Rem Mag, and wears a dot scope.

My open field hunting rifle is a lighweight Win 70 .30-'06, with a Tasco VAR624X42 6-24x42mm MilDot scope.

Greg </div></div>

I was just reading up on that Win '94 in one of these magazines I bought. Looks like a nice rifle, and got good review from the mag. Believe they were testing @ 50 yards? Sound right?

If I remember correctly (been a number of years) but I believe my Dads .30-06 was a Win. His .30-30 was my favorite back then with teh lever action. I THINK he also had a Remington 270...granted he had alot of guns, but only one's I ever shot were his deer rifles and shotguns

Here you go PeePaw. I have the setup that sounds good to you. People are probably getting tired of seeing it. I have posted it here many times. It is a howa 1500 with a 20" heavy barrel. I have a one piece egw base and burris xtr rings. The scope is a Burris 3.5 to 10. I shot the groups pictured on my first or second outing to the range with it. I have not been a member long enough to sell anything here but when i do i will likely sell the rings, base and original stock. Since the picture was taken i have changed quite a bit on the gun. But right out of the box, it shot pretty well.

avd

DSCN0026.jpg
DSCN0027.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DaveV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gugubica nailed it. You have come to a tactical marksmanship site asking about a hunting gun. That's not wrong, but it may not fit your goals. Being in the Hot Rod world, it would be like asking drag strip guys about the best equipment for oval use. The main question is about your thoughts on tactical vs hunting application. </div></div>

Well Dave, I came here to this site, because I DO want to get into markmanship EVENTUALLY. I find THAT more interesting than shooting deer to be honest with you. Do not get me wrong, i love to hunt, but shooting comes first to me. The act of it..cleaning a gun, prepping it, testing it, etc...THAT is teh fun part. I could go without the cleaning/field dressing!!!!

So, i came here because I figured that you guys would steer me right, and get me going with a nice solid rifle to start out with. Am I gonna hunt? Yes I am. Do I need a rifle that SPECIALIZES in deer hunting? No. I guess you could say I need a rifle that will do both well, and if anything, leaning towrds long range/distance.

Now, I don't want to mislead anyone...and maybe I am completly wrong, but I was THINKING that a basic deer rifle, like teh Remington 700 (or teh like) would serve both purpose;s just fine. Now, I know for long distance, would need more rifle, but feel something in that caliber range, would be fine to start out with.

Now, as I also said above, that once I "outgrow" my starter rifle, that resale should be pretty good, as long as gun is maintained, and that's even if I decide to sell it, as I may choose to keep it and save money to buy another rifle ooutright..who knows?

Basically, need a rifle that is gonna last me say 2-3 years before I feel teh need to step up to a more serious rifle. Some of you may think, hell, 2-3 years is not that long, go ahead and step into what you want NOW and not waste any money. Problem with that is, if I was made out of money, I would probaly do that. And, I want to show myself that 2-3 years from now, I am still into it, and can justify spending $1500, $2, $3K for a rifle at that point. IN other words, I would HATE to spend that much money on a rifle, can't find the time that I really wanted to, to go shooting, and that rifle sits in closet collecting dust.
Again, if I had more money than sense, I would go straight to say a Barrett .416 or even his .50! hahaha!! THOSE are the guns (.338 to me would be PERFECT for me right now if I had that kind of money laying @) that really get my blood going..and browsing through you guys for sale section, WHEW!!!!! A man could get into trouble real quick!!! ALOT of nice rifles that were up my alley that fell into the $1500 range in the for sale section...but again, don't want to spend it, and gun sits.

So, let me show myself that I am gonna go out there, and tear it up, so i can justify spending big money on a gun.

Does that help more?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go PeePaw. I have the setup that sounds good to you. People are probably getting tired of seeing it. I have posted it here many times. It is a howa 1500 with a 20" heavy barrel. I have a one piece egw base and burris xtr rings. The scope is a Burris 3.5 to 10. I shot the groups pictured on my first or second outing to the range with it. I have not been a member long enough to sell anything here but when i do i will likely sell the rings, base and original stock. Since the picture was taken i have changed quite a bit on the gun. But right out of the box, it shot pretty well.

avd

DSCN0026.jpg
DSCN0027.jpg
</div></div>

See, THAT is a gun that would serve me well, granted of course, your asking $$$ is in my range! PM coming

</div></div>

5R has a nicer stock you won't need to replace. SS 3-9 scopes are fantastic. .308 is plenty.

It works well for hunting as well. That pig didnt even make it out of the corn.

I bought the gun originally for a deer/pig stand gun. Then i found Sniper's Hide........

CDY_0497.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, if you go down to the Firearms For Sale classifieds, there is this package deal for sale: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1616308#Post1616308

You get a complete system; he gets cash for the baby-on-the-way - win/win for all. </div></div>

Checked out that link..nice setup.

Hey guys, have to head out...be back in a few hours to check out thread/rest of links, etc....

Thanks

And now it looks like this.
IMG00324-20100206-1557.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: avd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here you go PeePaw. I have the setup that sounds good to you. People are probably getting tired of seeing it. I have posted it here many times. It is a howa 1500 with a 20" heavy barrel. I have a one piece egw base and burris xtr rings. The scope is a Burris 3.5 to 10. I shot the groups pictured on my first or second outing to the range with it. I have not been a member long enough to sell anything here but when i do i will likely sell the rings, base and original stock. Since the picture was taken i have changed quite a bit on the gun. But right out of the box, it shot pretty well.

avd

DSCN0026.jpg
DSCN0027.jpg
</div></div>
Hey avd: What you planning to do with that bolt action? You have some serious rings on that rifle.. That would probably handle a 50 BMG without a muzzlebreak with 10,000 hot rounds....

I bought a 30-06 10" Lone eagle (IMI) pistol and it already had 4 standard sized rings on it to hold onto the scope...Recoil was brutal but somehow satisfying to the power crazed nut (Me).

You could sell half of your rings and still have more rings than you will ever need.......
Just some friendly advice. .....SmokeRolls

i am planning on shooting pigs and paper with it. that scope, base and rings are gone now. thanks for the friendly advice but i beat you to it.

WEll, I went and did it now! I went and bought the 2010 Gun Buyers Annual. And there are ALOT of bolt actions in there, and alot of them by companies I never heard. I went through it, and circled guns that were in my price range, AND style/caliber I want, regardless of manufacturer. SO, wanted to run some names by you guys and see what you think:

Browning XBolt, .223 to .338

Howa .223 to 7MM-08

Kimber Model 84M (little steep, but looks like a real nice rifle

Marlin Centerfire .243, .270. .30-06, 7MM, .308

Mossberg Centerfire .270, .30-06, 7, .300, .308

Remington 700 .17 to .375

Remington 770 .204 to 7mm

Ruger M77 Hawkeye .204 to .416

Sako Hunting .17 to 7MM

Savage Hunter .22 to .338

Savage Weather Warrior .204 to .375

Now, I know that is alot of rifles for you guys to comment on each one (if you want to great) but what I am asking is, is there an any there that are absolute NO-NO's, or say out of those, your top two or 3 rifles out of that list are????

Again, not needing (will do research AFTER I have whittled it down to say 2 or 3 rifles) a break down of each gun...just need a go, no go on those...and maybe your preference??

Thanks guys

There are a LOT of Great posts on this thread. I haven't read them all thoroughly so I apologize if this is repeat information, but I've noticed an interesting trend in "Rifle/Scope" matching that makes sense...

Plan on spending about the same for a scope as you do for the rifle. Just appears to be a "rule of thumb" I'm seeing. At least on low to mid-range rigs. For instance: I have a 40X repeater that someday will darn a US Optics MST-10 or something else in the $2500 range... It's a $2500.00 rifle. If you buy a PSS or 5R look into $1000 glass. Just an observation... FWIW.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a LOT of Great posts on this thread. I haven't read them all thoroughly so I apologize if this is repeat information, but I've noticed an interesting trend in "Rifle/Scope" matching that makes sense...

Plan on spending about the same for a scope as you do for the rifle. Just appears to be a "rule of thumb" I'm seeing. At least on low to mid-range rigs. For instance: I have a 40X repeater that someday will darn a US Optics MST-10 or something else in the $2500 range... It's a $2500.00 rifle. If you buy a PSS or 5R look into $1000 glass. Just an observation... FWIW. </div></div>

Yeah, that is what I am wanting to do is find a scope that will problay be too MUCH (is there such a thing?hahaha) for the rifle I initially put it on, but something that will be a perfect match for the rifle I upgrade to. So, trying to think a LITTLE ahead...and spend teh extra coin on the scope now.