• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting out again, what's a good starter rifle?

Re: Starting out again, what's a good starter rifle?

One note of caution, if you plan on using it for range/precision shooting, you need to get a rifle with a heavy barrel. A rifle designed for hunting will idealy have a light profile barrel.

Heavy barrels are a hanicap on hunting rifles (wieght), but are pretty much a requirement if you are shooting more than a few rounds in a sitting (range/precision).

That consideration will likely limit your list above.

consider upgrade ability which of those guns can you easily move up with and change out stocks, barrels, bottom metal, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One note of caution, if you plan on using it for range/precision shooting, you need to get a rifle with a heavy barrel. A rifle designed for hunting will idealy have a light profile barrel.

Heavy barrels are a hanicap on hunting rifles (wieght), but are pretty much a requirement if you are shooting more than a few rounds in a sitting (range/precision).

That consideration will likely limit your list above. </div></div>

OK, THIS I did not know.....any of the rifles above meet the criteria (heavy barrel) you are referring to?

Thanks!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Russ257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">consider upgrade ability which of those guns can you easily move up with and change out stocks, barrels, bottom metal, etc. </div></div>

Right! That is a pretty big concern....would like to be able to (again) find a scope that will be able to swap over. Now, since I am rookie at this...how can I tell which scope will swap over to what...in other words, what primary parts do I need to look at on teh rifle's to determine of scope/rings will swap from one rifle to next?

Example:

Say i purchased the Remington 700 and bought a set of rings/scope, and wanted to buy another rifle.....WHAT do I need to look at on teh next rifle to make sure my current rings/scope fit it?

Still looking for answers for the 2 posts above, PLUS a new one:

What does it mean to have a "heavy barrel"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Russ257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">consider upgrade ability which of those guns can you easily move up with and change out stocks, barrels, bottom metal, etc. </div></div>

Right! That is a pretty big concern....would like to be able to (again) find a scope that will be able to swap over. Now, since I am rookie at this...how can I tell which scope will swap over to what...in other words, what primary parts do I need to look at on teh rifle's to determine of scope/rings will swap from one rifle to next?

Example:

Say i purchased the Remington 700 and bought a set of rings/scope, and wanted to buy another rifle.....WHAT do I need to look at on teh next rifle to make sure my current rings/scope fit it? </div></div>

Ok. I am by no means a total expert at this but here is what I can advise.

1) If you are just starting out then your scope selection are pretty much all 1" or 30mm tube scopes (remember get good glass--you can't shoot what you can't see). I recommend Sightron SIII series for one of the best scopes for it's price. The Super Sniper HD scopes seem to be a really good value as well. You may also look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 tactical version or the 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical version if the first one does not give you enough range adjustment. I personally shoot with a US Optics on my 308 right now.

2) You need to look at the scope as a scope/ rings/ mount/ then rifle system; since that is how they are attached to each other.

3) I would get a 30mm scope of high quality if you plan on upgrading your rifle later and transferring your scope over to your new setup.

4) Get picatinny rings of high quality (Badger Ordnance, Seekins, TPS, Ken Farrell, US Optics, Nightforce, maybe Mark4, and maybe Burris Extreme Tactical--if you are on a tight budget)

5) The mounts you get on your rifle will be 1 piece picatinny rail type mounts again from the above manufacturers. Why did I choose the 1 piece mount and not the 2 piece? Well it's just personal preference and there are others here on the hide that prefer the 2 piece picatinny mount. This part is rifle specific meaning you will need to get the ones made specifically for your rifle. That is what you look for since your scope rings will allow you to mount to any other picatinny mount on any rifle provided you have enough clearance between the bell of the scope and the barrel of the rifle.

Hope this helps,

Gene

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still looking for answers for the 2 posts above, PLUS a new one:

What does it mean to have a "heavy barrel"? </div></div>

Heavy barrel means heavy contour barrel. Some people call them target barrels but palma contour barrels can also be considered heavy barrels and many people also consider varmint contour barrel to be heavy barrels. Basically anything that is heavier than a factory light, standard, or hunting contour gets you closer and closer to the "heavy" barrel.

Hope this helps

Gene

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One note of caution, if you plan on using it for range/precision shooting, you need to get a rifle with a heavy barrel. A rifle designed for hunting will idealy have a light profile barrel.

That consideration will likely limit your list above. </div></div>

What?!... I'm sorry but this just makes me laugh! If you can't hump a "heavy barreled" rifle in and out of the woods, Go home... Grab your favorite bag of snacks... Turn the TV on... and watch one of the "Outdoor" channels! Leave hunting for the MEN!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Russ257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">consider upgrade ability which of those guns can you easily move up with and change out stocks, barrels, bottom metal, etc. </div></div>

Example:

Say i purchased the Remington 700 and bought a set of rings/scope, and wanted to buy another rifle.....WHAT do I need to look at on teh next rifle to make sure my current rings/scope fit it? </div></div>

1) If you are just starting out then your scope selection are pretty much all 1" or 30mm tube scopes (remember get good glass--you can't shoot what you can't see). I recommend Sightron SIII series for one of the best scopes for it's price. The Super Sniper HD scopes seem to be a really good value as well. You may also look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 tactical version or the 6500 2.5-16x42 tactical version if the first one does not give you enough range adjustment. I personally shoot with a US Optics on my 308 right now.

2) You need to look at the scope as a scope/ rings/ mount/ then rifle system; since that is how they are attached to each other.

3) I would get a 30mm scope of high quality if you plan on upgrading your rifle later and transferring your scope over to your new setup.

4) Get picatinny rings of high quality (Badger Ordnance, Seekins, TPS, Ken Farrell, US Optics, Nightforce, maybe Mark4, and maybe Burris Extreme Tactical--if you are on a tight budget)

5) The mounts you get on your rifle will be 1 piece picatinny rail type mounts again from the above manufacturers. Why did I choose the 1 piece mount and not the 2 piece? Well it's just personal preference and there are others here on the hide that prefer the 2 piece picatinny mount. This part is rifle specific meaning you will need to get the ones made specifically for your rifle. That is what you look for since your scope rings will allow you to mount to any other picatinny mount on any rifle provided you have enough clearance between the bell of the scope and the barrel of the rifle.

Hope this helps,

Gene </div></div>

Wll, You say you are not an expert, but to me, you just gave me an expert reply!! Wow, thanks for the info, one of the most informative post's I have gotten! Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Still looking for answers for the 2 posts above, PLUS a new one:

What does it mean to have a "heavy barrel"? </div></div>

Heavy barrel means heavy contour barrel. Some people call them target barrels but palma contour barrels can also be considered heavy barrels and many people also consider varmint contour barrel to be heavy barrels. Basically anything that is heavier than a factory light, standard, or hunting contour gets you closer and closer to the "heavy" barrel.

Hope this helps

Gene </div></div>

So, a heavy barrel IS in defintion because of the weight? Now, may seem like a simple question, and MAYBE I know, but will ask so I can be 100%. WHAT is teh benefit of a heavy barrel? I mean, lighter is always "better" (in most cases), when not sacrificing strength of course.

So, that being said, am I to assume, because from the reading I have done, people use a heavy barrel on their rifle's because of heat? That after firing multiple rounds, barrel heats up and can "distort" and throw off accuracy, unless they have a "heavy" barrel?

Is THAt why the use of a heavy barrel? So, example:

On range, round after round after round, standard barrel can "deform", but with a heavy barrel, prevents that, and accuracy stays true? Is that why?

Yes, I know, newbie...but catching on pretty quick.

Yep you got it.

One other thing I will add.A medium weight rifle,with medium contour barrel is easier to hold still and recoils less compared to a lighter one.

Try to find a balance of weight,recoil,handling in this equation since you plan on using it for general shooting and not just hunting.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Russ257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">consider upgrade ability which of those guns can you easily move up with and change out stocks, barrels, bottom metal, etc. </div></div>

Example:

<span style="color: #FF0000">5) The mounts you get on your rifle will be 1 piece picatinny rail type mounts again from the above manufacturers. Why did I choose the 1 piece mount and not the 2 piece? Well it's just personal preference and there are others here on the hide that prefer the 2 piece picatinny mount. This part is rifle specific meaning you will need to get the ones made specifically for your rifle. That is what you look for since your scope rings will allow you to mount to any other picatinny mount on any rifle provided you have enough clearance between the bell of the scope and the barrel of the rifle.</span>Hope this helps,

Gene </div></div>

This is a very informative post... agreed. However, I have to say I think you should definitely get a 1 piece Picatinny base and I personally wouldn't use a 2 piece unless there wasn't a 1 piece made for my rifle. The reason is, a 1 piece is more stable and actually adds structural integrity to the receiver. Whether people believe it or not, receivers DO flex and screwing down extra metal across the top of the ejection port strengthens the receiver. Also from what I've experienced it allows you to move the scope around more based on your eye-relief. I've always also bought my mounts with 15 or 20MOA cant to them. Most scopes can still zero at 100yds with that cant but will also zero further out. My attitude is: "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.". FWIW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Russ257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">consider upgrade ability which of those guns can you easily move up with and change out stocks, barrels, bottom metal, etc. </div></div>

Example:

<span style="color: #FF0000">5) The mounts you get on your rifle will be 1 piece picatinny rail type mounts again from the above manufacturers. Why did I choose the 1 piece mount and not the 2 piece? Well it's just personal preference and there are others here on the hide that prefer the 2 piece picatinny mount. This part is rifle specific meaning you will need to get the ones made specifically for your rifle. That is what you look for since your scope rings will allow you to mount to any other picatinny mount on any rifle provided you have enough clearance between the bell of the scope and the barrel of the rifle.</span>Hope this helps,

Gene </div></div>

This is a very informative post... agreed. However, I have to say I think you should definitely get a 1 piece Picatinny base and I personally wouldn't use a 2 piece unless there wasn't a 1 piece made for my rifle. The reason is, a 1 piece is more stable and actually adds structural integrity to the receiver. Whether people believe it or not, receivers DO flex and screwing down extra metal across the top of the ejection port strengthens the receiver. Also from what I've experienced it allows you to move the scope around more based on your eye-relief. I've always also bought my mounts with 15 or 20MOA cant to them. Most scopes can still zero at 100yds with that cant but will also zero further out. My attitude is: "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.". FWIW </div></div>

+1 to the 1 piece picatinny mount adding strength to receiver and also aiding in scope eye relief adjustment ability. I did not mention this since I did not want to open a can of worms for argument about the 1 piece versus 2 piece bases. I have seen it before here and on other forums.

Gene

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yep you got it.

One other thing I will add.A medium weight rifle,with medium contour barrel is easier to hold still and recoils less compared to a lighter one.

Try to find a balance of weight,recoil,handling in this equation since you plan on using it for general shooting and not just hunting.

Steve
</div></div>

OK, cool, thanks. What I am doing is going through some different magazines I have bought that they are doing tests on, as well as browsing internet gathering info, and making a list of potential guns (staying in budget of course).

It SEEMS that most of teh rifles that have heavy barrels are right at border of how much I want to spend, and seems that a SUPER NICE rifle, in teh .300/.308 range runs @ $1500.

So, trying to be realistic, and stay under a $1000..and seems that I cn still get a REAL nice rifle for @ $600-$800...and that is what i am shooting for (no pun intended)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Russ257</div><div class="ubbcode-body">consider upgrade ability which of those guns can you easily move up with and change out stocks, barrels, bottom metal, etc. </div></div>

Example:

Gene </div></div>

This is a very informative post... agreed. However, I have to say I think you should definitely get a 1 piece Picatinny base and I personally wouldn't use a 2 piece unless there wasn't a 1 piece made for my rifle. The reason is, a 1 piece is more stable and actually adds structural integrity to the receiver. Whether people believe it or not, receivers DO flex and screwing down extra metal across the top of the ejection port strengthens the receiver. Also from what I've experienced it allows you to move the scope around more based on your eye-relief. I've always also bought my mounts with 15 or 20MOA cant to them. Most scopes can still zero at 100yds with that cant but will also zero further out. My attitude is: "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.". FWIW </div></div>

Thanks. I actually read up a smaller article on 1 and 2 piece, and slight differences in them, and it does seem to be @ a 50/50 split on who likes what/preference. I will take that into (what you said above) into consideration, as it DOES make sense to me, how you explain it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gszeto99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Peepaw said:

Gene </div></div>

+1 to the 1 piece picatinny mount adding strength to receiver and also aiding in scope eye relief adjustment ability. I did not mention this since I did not want to open a can of worms for argument about the 1 piece versus 2 piece bases. I have seen it before here and on other forums.

Gene </div></div>

Again, thanks. And yes, there DOES seem t be a varying of opinion's on the 1 vs 2 piece...again, as I mentioned above, just read an article on differences and why someone chooses a 1 over a 2 and vice versa.
However, how you both explained it, makes sense to me (adding structural strength) and would say I am probaly gonna go with teh 1 piece. Thanks.

Here is my budget build. Once the snow clears I'll let ya know how it shoots with match ammo and the new stock. I've never shot her with either to date.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...012#Post1622012

Also you could go another route:

Stevens action: $230-325
Shillen Barrel: $310
B&C Tactical Stock: $240 Delivered
EGW base 20MOA: $45.00 Delivered

That's $825 with a HIGH quality barrel and a good stock. Add optic and shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA if you do your part.

Good luck,
Merritt

Wanted to run my new "list" by you guys to see what you think.

Mossberg Centerfire. .300 or .338..seems to have options/looks price what I am looking for/need

The T/C Venture .300, and so far is cheapest ($$$) I have come across (under $500). Now, the test they did on this rifle had some issues chambering some rounds, and such...but for money, seemed like it got good reviews. However, would PROBALY like to step up some from this...

Howa...(leaning in this direction) seems to have alot of different options, good reviews (here and magazines) and for the money, seems like a winning combination.)

Remington 700...another tough call. It seems that this gun ha almost endless options, and priced competively.

Savage Weather Warrior...really like this gun..caliber, looks, price..has it all.

My choices will PROBALY come down to last 3 listed..Howa, Remington or teh Savage. All priced @ the same, all have GREAT looks.

Any of you guys want to weigh in on those guns? What about scopes...as I have NO idea on how you can tell what scope will fit on what gun...is there any problems that you guys see with these guns, that I put a scope on...THEN, when I step up even further (say a Barret .338 or .416, or the like) will say my scope setup from one of the rifles listed above work with the bigger guns?)
I realize that when I decide to step up to say the .338/.416 that to REALLY take advantage gonna need one hell of a scope, but what i want to know now is....if say I bought the Savage Weather Warrior, WILL that scope setup be able to transfer over to the Barrett?
THEN, after using that scope/rifle seup for awhile, and let my pocketbook cooldown, step into a mroe serious scope. Follow me/make sense?

Thanks guys.

Oh, reason I ask that is, I have NO idea (again) how you can tell if a scop setup will transfer from one gun to next.

Also, I am not saying I am buying the Barret, just used it as an example.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is my budget build. Once the snow clears I'll let ya know how it shoots with match ammo and the new stock. I've never shot her with either to date.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...012#Post1622012

Also you could go another route:

Stevens action: $230-325
Shillen Barrel: $310
B&C Tactical Stock: $240 Delivered
EGW base 20MOA: $45.00 Delivered

That's $825 with a HIGH quality barrel and a good stock. Add optic and shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA if you do your part.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

Wow, does seem like a REAL nice setup, and right down my alley to boot. Thanks!

Just a couple of things:

Although I agree with the 'spend as much money on the scope as the rifle' idea , I started out with a 10x Super Sniper on my TRG for the first year til I had saved up for a Nightforce. I now keep it as a spare - never had any problems with it and clicks were repeatable and not especially mushy.

What range are you going to shoot out to? You can get out to a thousand yards in 308 with a 20'' barrel. So you can go for a medium/ heavy contour and the rifle can still be fairly handy/ not too heavy for hunting.

Something like the configuration of the Remington700 LTR would be my choice in 308 as a starter Range/ hunting rifle and you can always upgrade trigger, stock whatever as you feel the need and can afford it.

Good Luck with your choice

Re: Starting out again, what's a good starter rifl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, if you go down to the Firearms For Sale classifieds, there is this package deal for sale: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1616308#Post1616308

There it is right there - a turn-key rifle system that will do all you want until you wear the bore out. For sale by a fellow Texan, so a face-to-face is doable.

You get a complete system; he gets cash for the baby-on-the-way - win/win for all. </div></div>

Thanks for the link, and I am going to check it out as soon as I finish responding to everyone's post. Thanks!! </div></div>

This may be just a bit more than you were hoping to spend, but this is one AWESOME deal! If I were in your shoes I would SERIOUSLY look at this package.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a LOT of Great posts on this thread. I haven't read them all thoroughly so I apologize if this is repeat information, but I've noticed an interesting trend in "Rifle/Scope" matching that makes sense...

Plan on spending about the same for a scope as you do for the rifle. Just appears to be a "rule of thumb" I'm seeing. At least on low to mid-range rigs. For instance: I have a 40X repeater that someday will darn a US Optics MST-10 or something else in the $2500 range... It's a $2500.00 rifle. If you buy a PSS or 5R look into $1000 glass. Just an observation... FWIW. </div></div>

Yeah, that is what I am wanting to do is find a scope that will problay be too MUCH (is there such a thing?hahaha) for the rifle I initially put it on, but something that will be a perfect match for the rifle I upgrade to. So, trying to think a LITTLE ahead...and spend teh extra coin on the scope now. </div></div>

This is a good strategy, but your budget is too limited to do this now. If you are wanting to get a scope that good now, you will end up spending at least $1500 just on the scope. A good scope will run you around $3000 alone. If you are limiting yourself to $1000, then seriously look at the SuperSniper scope matched to a Remington 700. Once you have more trigger time under your belt, and have used this time to save your pennies again, then get what you want. The first reply to this thread is some very good advice. Consider it long and hard.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a couple of things:

Although I agree with the 'spend as much money on the scope as the rifle' idea , I started out with a 10x Super Sniper on my TRG for the first year til I had saved up for a Nightforce. I now keep it as a spare - never had any problems with it and clicks were repeatable and not especially mushy.

What range are you going to shoot out to? You can get out to a thousand yards in 308 with a 20'' barrel. So you can go for a medium/ heavy contour and the rifle can still be fairly handy/ not too heavy for hunting.

Something like the configuration of the Remington700 LTR would be my choice in 308 as a starter Range/ hunting rifle and you can always upgrade trigger, stock whatever as you feel the need and can afford it.

</div></div>

Don't have a "limit" on my range, just want to be able go out and shoot, and shoot well. To be COMPLETLEY honest, i will probaly never need anything more than something in the .308 caliber range, but it won't stop me from buying something more powerful anyways. Again, jst want to be able to do some deer hunting with my friends during season, AND go out and do some shooting on teh range. With any luck, I become pretty good, and at that point, take it more "serious" and devote alot more time to it..and hey who knows...start competing. I really don't know at this point what holds in teh future...I no more need a .338/.416/.50 than I do a 7 second 1/4 mile drag radial race car, but again, it won't stop me from having one anyways,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyTRG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just a couple of things:

</div></div>

Oh also, I agree with you, that is what REALLY attracts me to the 700...SO MANY upgrades for it...seems to be the "69 Camaro" of guns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, if you go down to the Firearms For Sale classifieds, there is this package deal for sale: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1616308#Post1616308

There it is right there - a turn-key rifle system that will do all you want until you wear the bore out. For sale by a fellow Texan, so a face-to-face is doable.

You get a complete system; he gets cash for the baby-on-the-way - win/win for all. </div></div>

Thanks for the link, and I am going to check it out as soon as I finish responding to everyone's post. Thanks!! </div></div>

This may be just a bit more than you were hoping to spend, but this is one AWESOME deal! If I were in your shoes I would SERIOUSLY look at this package. </div></div>

I did take a real long look at that, and after pricing out everything "new", yes, a very good deal indeed. Little much right now? Ahhhhhhhhhhh, hard to say. To be honest, probaly IS a little bit more than I wanted to spend, BUT, might have to take a longer look/think about.
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Peepaw said:
oneshot onekill said:
This is a good strategy, but your budget is too limited to do this now. If you are wanting to get a scope that good now, you will end up spending at least $1500 just on the scope. A good scope will run you around $3000 alone. If you are limiting yourself to $1000, then seriously look at the SuperSniper scope matched to a Remington 700. Once you have more trigger time under your belt, and have used this time to save your pennies again, then get what you want. The first reply to this thread is some very good advice. Consider it long and hard. </div></div>

OK, so to get a little educated on scopes....what you are saying is, even if say I spent $500-$700 on a scope, that when I step into a larger caliber rifle, that it won't be enough scope? I may seem to be asknig redundant questions, but only because I want to make sure I understand the purchase BEFORE I make it. Don't want to drop coin on something that is wrong/underpowered/not enough/won't fit, etc..and have to buy again anytime soon.

So, I probaly DO need to take a step back before I get in over my head.

Thanks guys

I guess what is "hurting" is the fact that ALL of you guys are helping out/offering up some real good advice, and trying to take it all in at once, and is a bit overwhelming

Need to slow down some, become a bit mroe educated, and proceed.

I can't thank you guys enough...you have been GREAT!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peepaw</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johngfoster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Peepaw said:
oneshot onekill said:
This is a good strategy, but your budget is too limited to do this now. If you are wanting to get a scope that good now, you will end up spending at least $1500 just on the scope. A good scope will run you around $3000 alone. If you are limiting yourself to $1000, then seriously look at the SuperSniper scope matched to a Remington 700. Once you have more trigger time under your belt, and have used this time to save your pennies again, then get what you want. The first reply to this thread is some very good advice. Consider it long and hard. </div></div>

OK, so to get a little educated on scopes....what you are saying is, even if say I spent $500-$700 on a scope, that when I step into a larger caliber rifle, that it won't be enough scope? I may seem to be asknig redundant questions, but only because I want to make sure I understand the purchase BEFORE I make it. Don't want to drop coin on something that is wrong/underpowered/not enough/won't fit, etc..and have to buy again anytime soon.

So, I probaly DO need to take a step back before I get in over my head.

Thanks guys </div></div>

Good scopes can be very expensive. If you are wanting a scope that you can "grow into", you need to first define where you are planning to grow. If you are wanting to shoot a Barret 50 cal, then you will need a TOUGH scope. The recoil will kill a cheap scope. Go play with some scopes at a good store that carries high end stuff and see the difference between a $500 scope and a $3000 scope. (It may be hard to find some place local that actually carries high-end scopes). I got a deal on my Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 x 40, ff M3--just over $1000 NIB for the scope. However, it is generally regarded as an "entry-level" scope in the tactical shooting arena. Much better options out there. Now that I've used it quite a bit, and used a few nicer scopes, I can really see the difference in clarity of the optics at the same power setting. There really is a difference, but you pay for it.

If a tight budget is a reality, then buying a $3K scope may not be possible. You may not even feel comfortable spending that much on just a scope. Thus the suggestion of looking at the Super Sniper 10X fixed power scope. Great optics (clarity) for an affordable price. Get shooting with it. Then, when you realize you want to really get into this hobby, you have a better idea what you want, and you can save for it, all the time still being able to shoot. But if you want that high quality scope that you are going to throw onto your 50 cal, then you need to really re-think your budget.

you shouldnt have any problem moving the scope from one rifle to the other. thats a matter of bases and ring types. also like said above, you dont want a wimpy scope on a barrett either. for that matter there are air riles that will kill a scope from recoil, but thats a different matter. you can get a basic savage 10FP or FCP (their law enforcement/tactical series) and that has a target/varmint/heavy contour barrel. thats a step up from stevens and still in the same family. add a EGW 20moa base and burris XTR rings from optics planet with free shipping. also look there for 1 piece cleaning rods and a bore guide. they have scopes there too, just not super snipers. but i think if you look thru the rifle section going back at least like 15-20 or more pages you will see plenty of guys asking this question. id say use search, but i cant think of a good keyword to help out. many many guys that were remmy-winchester fans have been very impressed by the new savage. plenty of aftermarket stuff too.

if you get a new model with accu-stock, plan on liking the stock cause so far there isnt an option for them aftermarket yet. you can also get several nice stocks from them as an upgrade. McMillan, HS Precision and they have some nice Choate tactical models too. the accutrigger is adjustable down to 1.5 pounds in the 10FP/FCP series. there are a few nice hunting rifles too that they just came out with this year.

look thru savages site and better yet call them and ask for a current years product catalog. 413-568-7001

i dont know everything about savage, but i did alot of reading and researching before i bought mine. good luck on what ever you choose. also look in the optics thread. there are quite a few decent scopes, you just gotta dig thru the posts. i go back 10-15 pages or more looking for stuff. i did see a leupold MK4 for $675. im thinking of selling my scope and buying it.

starting out, a .223 rifle is going to be cheaper to shoot and learn with, that's all I'm going to input here. Plenty of other good advise going on.
smile.gif