• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting out -- rangefinding binoculars for ranging and spotting?

littlepod

Minuteman
  • Oct 16, 2012
    Kirkland, WA
    instagram.com
    I'm just starting out, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to keep at it. Currently only doing NRL22 / Rimfire stuff out to 300 yards. I need to have a spotter on some matches, so I was looking at doing a spotting scope or binoculars for spotting. I also would like to like to accurately rangefind as well because +/- 5 yards is pretty significant miss on rimfire once you're pass 200.

I'll eventually get into PRS.

I currently have a first version Leupold Ventana 15-45x60 which is pretty meh, haven't taken it out though to a match, as I forgot I had it in the closet from many years ago. I did look through a few people's binoculars and I was amazed at clarity and brightness. I remember having issues seeing my hits on paper at 200 yards with the Leupold, it was just really dim.

From doing some searches on here... for ~$1100ish, it looks like the Sig Kilo 3000 BDX is better than the Fury HD 5000? I don't think I'll ever shoot more than 1000 yards in the next 2 years, so I don't need anything crazy. I might be able to swing a Athlon Cronus Rangfinding Binos for $1000, but comparing the specs to Sig and Vortex, it seems the $100 more is worth it.

But all of those options might be way too much tech/glass than my needs. I don't have a Kestrel or any of those things, most I've done is Weatherflow and Strelok.

So if I want to spot misses upto 1000 yards (centerfire), 350 yards (rimfire), and rangefind accurately out to 1000/1200. What's a good value recommendation?

Thanks.

Reactions: The King
    I recently picked up the 3000BDX's and they are totally worth it, Cameraland has a open box deal for $900 atm.

Have gotten them to range out to 5000 yards, and I can spot hits out to 900 on steel with no issues. I ended up investing in an AB device and use the link and quite enjoy it, but the built in AB Lite will work out to 800 as well which is enough for a lot of folks.

Didn't really come across any other range finding binos worth while when I was looking imho.

Reactions: themightytimmah
    I have the 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-R LRF binos. They can be found for right around the same price of those others that you’re looking at. They range out to 1200 yds in ideal conditions, but the glass is awesome! I use mine for hunting, so the max distance of 1200 yds works for me. Now, if you’re wanting one that can range further, I’d definitely be looking at the Sig, Vortex, maybe Nikon...?

Most PRS/NRL matches push targets out well past 1k these days, 1400-1500 isn't uncommon at all.

Food for thought.

I have the 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-R LRF binos. They can be found for right around the same price of those others that you’re looking at. They range out to 1200 yds in ideal conditions, but the glass is awesome! I use mine for hunting, so the max distance of 1200 yds works for me. Now, if you’re wanting one that can range further, I’d definitely be looking at the Sig, Vortex, maybe Nikon...?

Is the glass on the 10x42 Leica a lot better than the Sig 3000 BDX? Clear bright glass is a nice, especially if I'm not going to be ranging out 2000+ yards.

Is the glass on the 10x42 Leica a lot better than the Sig 3000 BDX? Clear bright glass is a nice, especially if I'm not going to be ranging out 2000+ yards.

To my eyes, yes. Leica has always been known to have top tier glass (They are one of the “Big 3” for a reason). However, everybody’s eyes are different, so I’d recommend looking through as many as you can before settling on one. What looks like really good glass to one person could be meh for another.

Just my two cents. A spotter is going to be better for seeing holes in paper past 100 yards. When shooting steel in PRS style matches a good set of 10x binos are what many are running these days to spot impacts on steel out to 1000 yards and beyond. Having the range finding ability is always super nice.

Id go with the KILO3000BDX, I've looked through them at the range multiple times. Going from this to Swarovski binos you can definitely see the glass difference but they're very usable. Spotting 6mms at 1k was a bit hard but doable if you focus.

Reactions: mtequip
    Whatever you get you really wanna get it such that the max advertised range is half what you plan to shoot. So if it claims it'll range 3km, then expect it'll do the job for 1.5km pretty well. The closer they get to the limit, the more error.

IMO, two is better than one. One smaller, cheaper one that's rated for 2-3k but good for 1k-1mile or so and fits in a pocket. Something light you can tote around. Then a good solid one for longer ranges. There are a lot of decent cheap ones now, just get one that's double what you need. Who knows, your application and you may be able to get by fine with one. Leica I understand is one of the better mfg.'s in LRF's but they offer gear ranging from NASA grade shit to export golf grade shit, so be sure what you're getting.

I have one that is good to 10m at 10km or 6 miles. But I got it because I wanted one that'd be good out to at least 5km (MORE than enough for a .50 BMG, M2HB, etc.), accurate to that range, and it gets the job done. It's only a few meters off at 5km but it's amazingly accurate when fired into a cluster of closely spaced targets at various distances due to the focus of the beam.

There are some military grade LRF's out there that won't cost an arm and a leg, but they will be non-eyesafe and when I say that I mean they use Class 4 cutting lasers to get the job done --I have to be VERY safe using it. But if you need a long range unit for cheap, it's worth being patient and looking for a Mk5 LRF. They were made from 1999 to 2000 by Northrop Grumman IIRC, were $10k new but go for $500 from time to time.

The LRF is on top and part of my budget day/night spotting rig (this whole setup minus the NODs and PEQ cost less than $1200!). The glass on this is some of the best I've ever seen and the reticle is etched on there about as fine as it gets. For $400 or so I paid for it, I can't complain at ALL. I was lucky to get it and had it not been for finding it, I probably wouldn't have one still.

IMG_0875.JPG

There are some PVS(6?) going around for sale... They vary in price but have 7x day/night viewer, eye safe laser, connect to plugger, etc. VERY nice piece of gear and the built in night vision is the tits. They ain't cheap, but they usually go for very reasonable prices. $30k new, $7k or so when they pop up used --at least from what I've seen. I'd love to have one, but didn't have the coin and had this one put together first anyway, which I still can't complain about.

Reactions: Wyzrd
    On ebay a month ago there were 6 zeiss halem 2, 40 km rangefinder class 3a with 0.6 mil of beam divergence at a price of 620 $...This would have been a real deal

Id go with the KILO3000BDX, I've looked through them at the range multiple times. Going from this to Swarovski binos you can definitely see the glass difference but they're very usable. Spotting 6mms at 1k was a bit hard but doable if you focus.
    I took your advice and ordered a set from Midway yesterday. $959 and they came with a $200 store credit from Sig.

I scooped up a pair of Vortex Fury 5000HD's, really happy so far! The glass is really nice, feild of view is wide. I have taken them out spotting out to 1k, no issues spotting .223 splash. It would be great if they had a 12x option though.

The RF piece is really nice as well. The reticle is clear, accurate and adjustable brightness. I was pinging houses 2,500 yards + way. Also ranged a doe at 972 yards with no issues.

They are around 800$ and available here and there in the PX.

The Sig Kilo 3000 BDX for $950 w/ $200 gift card to SIG is still the deal to beat it seems like. That's what I did... got my binos on Monday last week and have had a lot of fun playing with them. A few others I met at the match on Saturday have ordered some as well after looking through mine.

If you’re sure you’re going to start doing centerfire, consider standalone 15x binos.

Not saying rangefinding binos aren’t the way to go for you. Just that 15x is really nice to have and it’s hard to find 15x that also ranges.

But the sig and vortex are likely the way to go for RF binos without breaking the bank.

Reactions: littlepod
    If you’re sure you’re going to start doing centerfire, consider standalone 15x binos.

Not saying rangefinding binos aren’t the way to go for you. Just that 15x is really nice to have and it’s hard to find 15x that also ranges.

But the sig and vortex are likely the way to go for RF binos without breaking the bank.

After using these for a week and ranging at a local match, rimfire still I can see the need for something a little more than 10x. They're great rangefinder though. If going to centerfire/prs like matches out to 600, and maybe if I travel do something out to 1000, would it be better to get a 15x binos, or a spotting scope?

Today I was having issues, it was a really rainy day, and kind of dim and it kept on ranging only about 35Y with the rain probably reflecting the laser back? Is that normal with LRF? This is my first LRF so I'm not sure what conditions they're supposed to range in -- When the rain died down a bit it started working again.

After using these for a week and ranging at a local match, rimfire still I can see the need for something a little more than 10x. They're great rangefinder though. If going to centerfire/prs like matches out to 600, and maybe if I travel do something out to 1000, would it be better to get a 15x binos, or a spotting scope?

Today I was having issues, it was a really rainy day, and kind of dim and it kept on ranging only about 35Y with the rain probably reflecting the laser back? Is that normal with LRF? This is my first LRF so I'm not sure what conditions they're supposed to range in -- When the rain died down a bit it started working again.
    Personally, I use a micro red dot mounted to a full spotter to aim quickly, then a LRF (Kilo 2000) mounted to the spotter for ranging. This is pretty fast for most uses and allows enough stability to range accurately. Most competitive PRS type competition guys will already have pre ranged the stages so speed of ranging is not as big a deal and you cant get calls in any division other than the beginner divisions, usually.

I just cant imagine binoculars and rangefinders in combination until they release wind calculations by laser... good glass is good glass forever, but electronics are obsolete every 5 to 10 years. When we get laser wind units, all current LRF will become obsolete overnight. At least good spotters and binoculars are still good.