• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Starting to load for 45ACP. Need Info.

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I have been reloading for my bolt guns and semi auto rifles for about 2 yrs now but only shoot my pistols (Springfield XD .45ACP 4" bbl, Desert Eagle 50AE) once in awhile and was just using factory ammo.

I now want to start reloading for these.

I recently bought 200pcs Remington 45acp brass, Hodgdon Titegroup powder, RCBS Carbide 3-die set, Rainier 230gr. RN bullets-200pcs, 500- Rem 9 1/2 Large pistol primers, 1K Winchester Large Pistol Primers.

After looking thru the Reloading loads posted on here (and manuals) I noticed most of the 45ACP loads used either WLP or CCI primers (none really w/ Rem primers). Is the WLP better to use over the Remington primers? Is the Remington Large Pistol Primers an OK primer to use?

Also what is the better brass to use Winchester or Remington?

For the 50AE the only brass manufacturer I could find was Starline and it is pretty hard to find. Any other 50AE brass Manufacturers? Im going to go with the Rainier bullets just for plinking with the 50AE because of the cheap price. Speer also has a good price on 50cal pistol bullets.

Any other helpful ideas would be appreciated.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Also how many reloads to you roughly get on pistol ammo?</span>
Thanks

Re: Starting to load for 45ACP. Need Info.

The primers won't matter, but the WLP are a bit hotter, and would require less powder. I've used WLP for many years, without any issues. Winchester brass is about as good as it gets in 45ACP, I have used Rem brass without issue, but it is a bit thinner. I used to load Rainier 230gr rn bullets, until the price of them almost doubled a few years ago. The price of FMJ is now about the same, and prefer them over the plated. The Rainiers are great bullets, but the nose profile is not as rounded, and seating depth is crutial. I ran mine at 1.250" and they feed fine in all my 45s. Heres a link to some great prices on FMJ slugs, if you start loading in mass volumes, shipping is included
laugh.gif
The 45 is very easy to load, just be carefull to not over crimp the bullets, .470-.471 is just perfect. To much crimp will loosen the neck tension, and create a bulge behind the neck, both bad!
http://www.rozedist.com/

Sorry, can't help you on the 50AE, sounds fun to shoot!!

Grafs has Starline 50 AE brass in stock and it's good to go IMO. I use H110 with Magnum primers in the 50 AE and get good results with both Rainier and Speer hollow points.

From my experience brass doesn't make a diffrence as long as it's not cracked. I buy once fired cases locally and have loaded most more than 10 times and still no issues.

Primers- I use Winchester Remington and cci. What ever I Can get. No notocable changes in velocity.

I shoot cast lead bullets. The quantity I go through leaves no option. I buy from Missouri bullet co. Fast cheap shipping (usps flatrate) and good prices. I shoot thier 230 gn lrn Im on my 3rd shipment from them so that would make 6k bullets and maybe a dozen bullets with problems

if you don't have a Dillon start looking because you will save soo much time

Keep in mind my goal isn't ultimate accuracy it's reliability. I use 4.6 gns of bullseye to push them fast enough to make major in the winter. Will be switching powder to something less smokey when I use up my last two lbs of bullseye

If you want a good, accurate and clean powder try WST. I started using it a few years ago after deciding that cleaning up after Unique was really getting to be a drag.
I shoot a 200gr LSWC over 4.5gr WST. I use this load in bullseye and plate matches. It is very accurate in all of my 1911s.

Jim

While I disagree primers and brass make no difference, there aren't many who can take advantage. Most times the difference will be a numbers advantage in ES/SD and can't be witnessed on the target. Occasionally, a certain load combination just doesn't work well.

The .45ACP is very loader friendly. You can throw almost any (safe) load together and it will shoot well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vinconco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You will need a taper crimp die. </div></div>

I purchased the RCBS Carbide TC Die Set. They have the Taper Crimp built into the die body.

I just loaded up 200rds of 230gr RN tonight.

The only thing is if im going to be reloading alot of pistol ammo, a Progressive press will be in need of. The RCBS Rock Chucker is a little slow!

If you want a progressive press buy a Dillon Square Deal B.. I have one and it is a very good press. The WST powder I use hasn't varied a tenth of a grain in years. It really meters that well through the Dillon powder measure.
Going at a steady pace- with an extra primer tube ready- I can load 200 rounds in an hour without rushing.

Jim

You are going to want a separate taper crimp die. It is not worth the head ache of
setting up the die to seat and crimp. If you have a match chambered gun (like a Kart
barrel that hasn't been reamed) you'll want the lee crimp die with the base sizer
built in. I only use it for tightly chambered guns as it has never been needed before
I installed a match chambered barrel. (I still may have it reamed a bit). I have brass
I believe has been loaded 20+ times with milder falling plate loads. I have always
shot 231 win powder and a 200 swc from Oregon Trails for plates and 700x with
that bullet for bullseye.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you want a progressive press buy a Dillon Square Deal B.. I have one and it is a very good press. The WST powder I use hasn't varied a tenth of a grain in years. It really meters that well through the Dillon powder measure.
Going at a steady pace- with an extra primer tube ready- I can load 200 rounds in an hour without rushing.

Jim </div></div>

Doesn't the Square Deal use proprietary dies? I would just cut to the chase and get a 550 and be done with it. It uses standard dies and can be used for all other reloading chores, rifle being the most important. The Square Deal is pistol only.

The Dillon SDB does use proprietary dies and the 550 uses standard 7/8" dies. He said he would be loading a lot of .45acp like I do. I leave my SDB setup for .45acp. I also have a Dillon 550, an RCBS Rockchucker and an old Lyman turret press. If I could only have one press it would be the 550 but I like not changing things for my .45acp loads. If I were to need to load another pistol caliber in volume I would just get another SDB.

Jim

I use a Hornady L-N-L AP preogressive press and it works well for pistol calibers.

When I bought my press Hornady was running a special and I got 1,000 free bullets. I got the 230gr XTP bullets and have found them to be great defensive bullets. I've long since run out of them, but have still continued to purchase quite a few of them as well as a ton of Berry's bullets.

The Hornady press is pretty nice, consistent and fast.

I am using Wolf large pistol primers in WCC cases with 230 lead cast round noses and 5.0gr of Bulleye currently. It is working very well in all 6 of the 45s im loading them for. They smoke a bit but thats just Bullseye. I have a Dillon RL450 set up dedicated to 45 ACP. I am using RCBS Carbide dies with a Hornady case activated powder drop instead of the dillon drop. I can load about 250 per hour while drinkin beer and talking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pepperbelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I could only have one press it would be the 550 but I like not changing things for my .45acp loads. If I were to need to load another pistol caliber in volume I would just get another SDB.

Jim </div></div>

I have my 550 set up with the dies and powder measure set up on a separate tool head so it takes about 10 seconds to change to .45 acp from my usual .308 / 30-06 / 22-250 setup on the 550. I have 2 550's with one set up for small primers and one for large. Only occasionally do I have to change a shell plate. ( the 45 acp shell plate works with many calibers to include .308, 30-06, 22-250, 260 rem, 270 win, 280 rem and a host of others.