• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Starting with a (almost) blank slate

StogieC

The Eternal Pogue
Minuteman
usu3upa3.jpg

tezu8a7a.jpg

So far I have a Larue 20MOA base and an Atlas bipod on order for my new .308 w/ 26" bbl Rem 700 P.

I've yet to decide on much of anything else other than a bolt knob upgrade and bbl threading. Leaning toward Short Action Customs for that work.

My gun club range has positions out to 1,200 yards and I hope to take full advantage of the facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the scope base on with surprising zero effort, a Seekins SRS rail mounted up front, and the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 has arrived; but my scope rings from the old box of gun goodies were too high, so new rings are on order. Also somewhere on a UPS truck is an Atlas bipod and a friend is sending me an HS Precision Gen-2 DBM w/ 10 round mag that he never used.

My google-foo has failed me, so I'm unable to find one of the smaller 4 round HS Gen-2 .308 mags to fit it. I'll need that before deer session due to Florida hunting regs. Maybe I should write another bill to fix that.

Last edited:
Got the scope base on with surprising zero effort, a Seekins SRS rail mounted up front, and the Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 has arrived; but my scope rings from the old box of gun goodies were too high, so new rings are on order. Also somewhere on a UPS truck is an Atlas bipod and a friend is sending me an HS Precision Gen-2 DBM w/ 10 round mag that he never used.

My google-foo has failed me, so I'm unable to find one of the smaller 4 round HS Gen-2 .308 mags to fit it. I'll need that before deer session due to Florida hunting regs. Maybe I should write another bill to fix that.

sounds like a great place to start. Recently started with a new SPS tac. Did you bother bedding the base or did you not need to? my weaver base had to be bedded, but the hide helped me with that one.

If your going to hunt with it I would pick up a trigger, somewhere in the 2.5# range.

my xmark pro adjusted down to about 3.5 basing it off my SSA-E trigger break which is fine for hunting but yeah definitely get an aftermarket trigger or have a smith work your current trigger for some decent precision shooting.

this is my first forum post so bear with me

If your going to hunt with it I would pick up a trigger, somewhere in the 2.5# range.

It's not going to be my primary hunting rifle but I do want to have it as a backup option. I have a Timney Calvin Elite trigger also on order. That trigger may be a little light for hunting use at 10oz, but it will work if my primary deer gun goes down for some reason.

Timney Calvin Elite trigger is in.
HS Precision DBM bolted up.
.875" QD rings gauged and mounted.
Seekins SRS rail mounted.
NXS 5.5-22 x 56 scope on and leveled.

Just waiting for my bipod.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399503539.055774.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399503549.785093.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Calvin Elite trigger, when sold through a dealer, is not fully factory adjusted to weight. It was actually breaking at about 6oz out of the box. A few turns of the trigger weight screw and I now have it set to a very crisp 1lb. Timney says that 8oz is the minimum for a reason. At 6oz a sharp butt strike with the safety off could result in having a very bad day. My testing confirmed this. Make sure your trigger's pull weight is properly adjusted either by the factory when you buy direct or your retailer. Then check it yourself.

Once the weight is adjusted, this trigger is outstanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After 40 rounds of break in and roughing in the zero using 168gr American Eagle boat tail I switched to the match grade stuff. Best results were from 168gr Federal Gold Medal Match at just under 1 MOA shooting off the bipod. The rifle is defiantly capable of more but considering that I had no cheek weld, I'm very pleased with this as a start.

A Bradley Adjustable cheek rest is already on the way.

tyhy9egy.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Last weekend I confirmed zero at 100 yards then slewed over to the 320 yard steal E-type to be rewarded with a satisfying "ding". Then I engaged an 8" round steal target... Only once. Damn thing fell over. I need a bigger range.