• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing steel bottom metal

M855

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2009
East TN
Im looking for a steel bottom metal that looks just like a factory rem 700 bdl,before you type it I dont want a williams,also im not looking for a dbm

Re: steel bottom metal

thanks for the above link,but those look just like a williams

There are quite a few out there, and I'm sure they all resemble each other. Are you looking for some specific look? What about the Williams don't you like?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M855</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the above link,but those look just like a williams </div></div>

No they make an exact copy of Remington in steel that is a direct drop in.

Don't go by what you see on their website they have lots of stuff you don't see. Just call them.

thanks for the info guys,I was at work and just gave it a quick look,I`ll call them in the morning

What about the Williams don't you like M855?? Quality, looks, etc??

The reason I ask is because I recently ordered one for my next 700 build and only heard good things about them... atleast quality wise.

koobs I have a williams on another rifle and like it very well,just needing something for another project,although it does drop into a factory inlet you might have to tinker/sand just a little to get it to fit just right,btw when you get it in your hand you`ll see it doesnt look just like a factory piece,Im wanting one thats a carbon copy of the factory part just in steel

Got it... Thanks!! I heard there was a slight difference in the design compared to a factory piece.

Good luck with the find!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it... Thanks!! I heard there was a slight difference in the design compared to a factory piece.

Good luck with the find!! </div></div>

The Williams will drop into an HS type stock with minor fitting. It will not however drop into a McMillan "A" series type stock without a little more then minor fitting due to how McMillan cuts the stock for the factory Remington door. The shape of the door on the Williams bottom metal is different and will hit the stock.

M855, is this for the M40A1-ish clone you mentioned to me?

If so, you'll want to be looking for a Winchester bottom metal.

Mcmillan should be willing to inlett it for you. I got to check out two M40A1s at Mcmillan about a month ago while I was there buying something.

Got another small tour and was shown an M40A1 from vietnam, and a clone they built recently. I think they have about 20 of them for sale. Or will soon. Cant remember what he said.

Anyways they are GREAT people and know everything you'd need to know to make your rifle an M40A1-ish clone.

If its NOT for your M40A1 project, go with PT&G like stated above

Its somewhat of a M40 not A1,its not going to be a spec rifle,its going in a walnut stock that will be bedded,with the old style trigger with large saftey and short bolt shroud,just wanted a steel factory type bottom metal, this rile will be shooter and not a safe queen

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The Williams will drop into an HS type stock with minor fitting. It will not however drop into a McMillan "A" series type stock without a little more then minor fitting due to how McMillan cuts the stock for the factory Remington door. The shape of the door on the Williams bottom metal is different and will hit the stock.

</div></div>

Really?? I ordered mine for a mcmillan A5 stock. Was told they would do the williams bottom metal inletting... Guess when both parts get here I'll find out. Stock still gonna be a few more weeks.

M855 if you are looking for a drop in steel bottom metal for a somewhat M40, PT&G is the way to go, I got mine and couldn't be happier, parked it and was good to go, put it on a walnut stock, no trimming.I wanted something stronger than what Remington offered and PT&G fit the bill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HateCA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Really?? I ordered mine for a mcmillan A5 stock. Was told they would do the williams bottom metal inletting... Guess when both parts get here I'll find out. Stock still gonna be a few more weeks. </div></div>

Yes really.

As long as you told them it was Williams drop in inlet. If you told them Remington inlet it won't fit without work.

I went round and round with McMillan and Williams a couple years ago about this. Williams said it was a drop in McMillan said it was a drop in for the Remington BDL cut until I showed them pics that Williams bottom metal was different did they figure it out. You have to be specific to McMillan about the Williams bottom metal.

Pic is of an "A" series stock. The cut out is for Williams "drop in bottom metal” Notice the cut out for the door?

McMillan cuts the stock to follow the door profile, and its counter sunk into the stock. HS type stocks don't have this counter suck cut so it doesn’t matter.

If that stock was cut for the Remington door then the Williams wouldn't close without work.

Williams4.jpg

williams3.jpg

williams1.jpg

williams2.jpg