• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

steel cases in my AR, okay????

Re: steel cases in my AR, okay????

They are fine as long as they are the grey cases the older greenish looking ones are lacquer coated and makes for a real mess.

They are fine shoot away with that cheap stuff. I would be more worried if you rapid fire and burn a barrel because the stuff is cheap

The only problem I have ever encountered from using Wolf steel case was some broken extractors. The broken extractors actually only happened back when the cases had the lacquer coating on them from the factory.

Since they have changed to the polymer (I believe is what it is) coating, I have not had any more problems at all. Up to and including full auto.

DK

sweet, no need to use expensive "match" brass for fun shooting matches. Thanks!

Maybe I'm the oddball here, but I don't let that crap touch my AR's. I've got too much invested in them. Aluminum receiver vs. steel case = excessive wear, to me anyway.

You're right, not need for "expensive match brass", but there's some inexpensive (well, relatively) brass-cased ammo out there if you look hard enough...

I'm sure folks are gonna tear me a new one over this, but it's just my opinion. YMMV.

-Slice

last time i peeked my AR...it had a STEEL barrel....so yeah...i might run the stuff that ain't lacquered....

I shoot steel wolf ammo all the time through my AR with no problems. I do not shoot the lacquer coated stuff though.

Huh?????? What are you talking about???? Time to start tearing.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HomeSlice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ma. I've got too much invested in them. Aluminum receiver vs. steel case = excessive wear, to me anyway.

I'm sure folks are gonna tear me a new one over this, but it's just my opinion. YMMV.

-Slice
</div></div>

Depending on the prices it can make a whole lot of sense

200-250 per k for Wolf

350-400 per k for xm or similar. Even PMC is over 300 per k.

If you shoot a couple thousand each year it will pay for any parts you break. If you shoot a lot you could buy a new gun in a couple years.

Keep the chamber clean, very clean, and wolf will run no problem, let it get dirty, and a case will get stuck and ruin your day.

Our local farm store has some PMC 223 for 6 bucks a box. I would much rather shoot that than any Russian crap. I had a mini 14 about 8 years ago that i bought brand new from a local dealer. I picked up 4 or so boxes of the cheap laquor coated Russian ammo and headed to the farm. I place a good size log at 50 yards in the field and started to shoot at it. Out of all 4 or 5 boxes of ammo and the mini 14 i never hit that stinking log. I know mini's arent all that accurate but man, i know for a fact i am not that bad of a shot. I could see bullets hitting everywhere around that darn log, but i never touched it. The ammo made a complete mess out of the inside of the mini. I took the gun home cleaned on it for two days and sold it. I will not ever buy another mini, nor will i ever buy any more russian 223 ammo. Thats my story! Lee

i store some back for a rainy zombie day cuz ther cheap but i dont regularly run them.

If it's a high end match chamber bull barrel AR etc. then no I wouldn't, but if that were the case you probably would not be asking about shooting wolf in it.

I would stay away from the lacquer coated stuff, but I haven't seen a box of that around for a couple years.

For all other AR's oh yeah, bottom line is AR's are like glocks....expendable. Every part on them is cheap and easily replaceable. A lower is what....$150 now again, extractors $10, shell case extractor $15, last gun show had blem lowers for $79. I've put thousands of rounds of wolf through a S&W MP15T and never had a case failure and it runs fine on them. Dirty....sure, but as long as it runs reliably for range playing I don't care. Considering around here winchester white box or federal AM is $10 a box and wolf is $5 a box, after a couple thousand rounds you can buy a new lower and parts kit. After 4000 rounds of wolf at $5 a box compared to WWB for $10 a box you saved $1000 go buy a NEW AR if you want.

I shoot wolf steel case almost exclusively and enjoy the savings from it, however do notice some(a little more than normal) wear on the upper reciever on the brass deflector, and I imagine it will take a little time off the feed ramps and other surfaces that it makes regular contact with. It's a personal preference, but a little wear is ok for my needs and a new bolt extractor is cheap compared to the savings you will receive purchasing this ammunition. I just shoot for fun and am not counting on this rifle to save the lifes of my family or myself.

I've shot alot of steel out of my AR's, and out of my RR M16. Whatever is cheap gets shot. No reason not to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HomeSlice</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe I'm the oddball here, but I don't let that crap touch my AR's. I've got too much invested in them. Aluminum receiver vs. steel case = excessive wear, to me anyway.

You're right, not need for "expensive match brass", but there's some inexpensive (well, relatively) brass-cased ammo out there if you look hard enough...

-Slice
</div></div>

What part of the receiver touches the steel?

Exactly? I don't know I'm not an engineer and haven't spent the time to look at a bunch of high speed films.

But the stuff is banging around in there. I know, the bolt carrier group is steel too, etc...

I didn't expect this would be a popular opinion. The OP asked if the stuff was "too hard" on the gun. I choose not to take the chance and don't use the stuff. I'm sure it has it's uses for those who want it.

To each his own. Peace.

-Slice

When was the last time you have ever heard of a AR15/M16 receiver being worn out?

the savings you will endure from shooting 10K rds of steel cased ammo will greatly outweigh the cost of a $20 broken extractor.

shoot it, but as noted above, make sure to clean your rifle, that stuff is a little messier.

Like anything else it has its pros and cons. It generally will lead to more extractor wear, obviously, due to the interface going from hardened steel/brass to hardened steel/steel. However, as already mentioned, the cost savings in the ammo will be more than enough to offset the replacing of a worn and/or damaged extractor from time to time. Also as has already been mentioned, the stuff is filthy both in the coating on the cases and in the powder it burns and thus you have to maintain your weapon perhaps a bit more rigorously than before. Caveat Emptor: I have worked over and replaced 3 rifles that fired out of battery. In all 3 cases when I pulled them apart and started the "what happened here" process, the only conclusion I could draw was that it was caused by steel case laquered ammo. All 3 BCGs were caked full of the laquer and after quizzing the owners I found that they had been shot exclusively or almost exclusively with that type of ammo and had suffered from poor cleaning procedure on the part of the owners. That being said, I shoot the stuff but I clean and maintain my rifles extensively to ensure those and other failures do not occur. Trigger time is trigger time
smile.gif

Is anyone familiar with exactly what type of steel the cases are made of? I've seen it listed as "mild steel" many places, but never the exact type. If it's anything like a 1018 mild steel (which makes sense, as it's cheap and there's no reason to use a more expensive material)then the steel cases are actually SOFTER than C260 brass, aka Cartridge Brass.

Knowing my luck if I shot that crap my extractor would break just when I needed it the most. Zombies would be coming from all directions and I'd be screwed. I'll stick with real ammo and pay the extra costs. That greenback dollar ain't gonna be worth anything soon anyhow.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Market Garden</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone familiar with exactly what type of steel the cases are made of? I've seen it listed as "mild steel" many places, but never the exact type. If it's anything like a 1018 mild steel (which makes sense, as it's cheap and there's no reason to use a more expensive material)then the steel cases are actually SOFTER than C260 brass, aka Cartridge Brass.
</div></div>

No idea, but would be interested to find out. It seems that it would be made of the cheapest suitable steel available given the nature of the ammo.

People go crazy about not using laquer I stopped using wolf along time ago when I discovered 62 grain Brown Bear. That stuff runs like crazy through all my ars. I have one are that has eaten 4500 rounds of it. The chamber still looks good, the barrel still shoots strait its really not bad ammo. I dont buy wolf in any caliber as it never shoots well for me, but I shoot brown bear 308-223-and 9mm. They always go bang and the accuracy is acceptable for plinking ammo. The wolf pistol ammo doesnt always go bang for me but Brown Bear never fails. Looking at the two I would think they were made in the same factory. They may be but this is what my experience has been with steel cases thus far. OH side note I shoot every brand of steel case in my AKs and they all eat it right up.

The reason I don't use that stuff is not for the steel, or for the lacquer, or for the sealant, but it's for the piss poor accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 69rscamaro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OH side note I shoot every brand of steel case in my AKs and they all eat it right up. </div></div>

Thats the good thing about an AK they were made to shoot that stuff. I've seen the 7.62 * 39 advertised for 18 cents a round not too long ago. I'm not an AK person but that sure makes me want to be.

After the change from the lacquer coatings, I have ran easily 10K rounds of the stuff through various AR's... ZERO problems.

AK's are a different story. I have NEVER had a single problem from any of the Wolf ammo in an AK that I have ever owned from day 1... PERIOD.

Anyone can say what they will about Wolf ammo. I personally have saved so much money from buying that stuff it is unreal. I have bought so much Russian ammo that I almost felt compelled to learn to speak their language and get a mail order bride!!

DK