• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Competition Events Steel Safari 2021

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely incorporate that into my practice. While your rifle may be hard to tell from everyone else's I'll try my best to keep an eye out!

Attachments

• 1621900576374.png
    1621900576374.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 60
Reactions: D_TROS
Much as I hate to admit @D_TROS is right in his post above. Get your gear out and on glass as soon as you can. At 2 min or 1:30 shoot the targets you have found.

121929A9-750B-4EE4-BFA5-A7FEA91D279E.jpeg
89025C4E-4CB8-4F39-9418-6A7C28F5FE81.jpeg

Another point I would like to make, if you are prone, go one side of the spot or the other. Check both sides at arms reach. If you are standing, your nuts not your tripod has to be over the spot!

Finally, carry the water you will need for the desert. But don't carry equipment you won't use. You can drink the water if your pack is heavy but you can't leave equipment if you have extra stuff in your bag. Unless you don't want it back!

All I carry in my bag is ammo for 9 stages, a water for every other stage, snacks, cleaning rod and extra trigger and cleaning kit, extra batteries for the LRF and some pens.
For my critical kit it's just rifle and bipod, one bag with git lite, tripod with LRF binos mounted on top.
3E213587-4D37-497E-B01F-B79D579D293D.jpeg

I will bring as many tripod slings and kits from Fehu as I can make on the next week. I'll also have magazine bags on sale at the match along with some brass and ammo bags. Bring cash if you want anything.

See you all there,
Collin

Reactions: D_TROS and Todc
Based on the terrain in the photos it looks like a lot of the shots are going to be angled down. Is that a fair assessment?

One week out. Really looking forward this.

Brian

Based on the terrain in the photos it looks like a lot of the shots are going to be angled down. Is that a fair assessment?

One week out. Really looking forward this.

Brian
It's such a small angle and big plates that you'll be unlikely to miss due to angle.

If you don’t have experience in the dry southwest you will likely not realize how much water you need. Bring water, ammo, a snack, and your score card. It’s almost a right of passage to make it half way to the first stage and realize you left it in your truck.

I try to make it a habit to put my hand on the dot and see how and where I can build a shooting position, don’t get suckered in by feeling like you have to lay on it. In positions that you can go prone you honestly have more flexibility because you just have to be able to touch it without moving your torso. It’s those standing positions where you have to be above the dot that make it to where you’re pretty much stuck in an awkward position.

Reactions: D_TROS
FYI-The Rockin' Taco is still for sale but is currently open for business, also recommend Mama T's and of course the Annex.

• Love
Reactions: hondo1312
Cowboy Chuckwagon's burgers aren't bad!

Glad you came and introduced yourself, @Takashi
Hopefully we get to see you again at Team Safari in October.

Reactions: Takashi
Some notes from the match:
The drive to New Mexico sucks ass from Houston.

I didn't really feel like I had a plan for finding targets until the third day, that's when something clicked and I started seeing the target frames (or the West course was just easy to see)

I always felt by stage 6 or 7 that I could definitely go for another 5-6 stages that day (a two day format would make the drives a little easier to deal with)

I really appreciate the advice from everyone there, and here, especially Paul and Andy who were in front/behind of me in line.

Finding, ranging, and engaging is really rewarding, the wind calls were all my own as well as the deciding what position to shoot the stage from. I think I underestimated the complexity of actually having to come up with a position, and was fooled on a couple of occasions with a seemingly prone that had something obscuring the targets

I think my preference is to cook in Logan, rather than hit up the restaurants.

With everyone's advice, my pack had everything I needed without being too heavy.

I want to shoot this again, and am definitely interested in team safari

Some notes from the match:
The drive to New Mexico sucks ass from Houston.

I didn't really feel like I had a plan for finding targets until the third day, that's when something clicked and I started seeing the target frames (or the West course was just easy to see)

I always felt by stage 6 or 7 that I could definitely go for another 5-6 stages that day (a two day format would make the drives a little easier to deal with)

I really appreciate the advice from everyone there, and here, especially Paul and Andy who were in front/behind of me in line.

Finding, ranging, and engaging is really rewarding, the wind calls were all my own as well as the deciding what position to shoot the stage from. I think I underestimated the complexity of actually having to come up with a position, and was fooled on a couple of occasions with a seemingly prone that had something obscuring the targets

I think my preference is to cook in Logan, rather than hit up the restaurants.

With everyone's advice, my pack had everything I needed without being too heavy.

I want to shoot this again, and am definitely interested in team safari
Next year, pester @enginerd to invite you to come with them to cookouts. We had a pile of food Friday night. One of the guys brought his disco and burner and we had about 16lbs of fajitas.

Next year, pester @enginerd to invite you to come with them to cookouts. We had a pile of food Friday night. One of the guys brought his disco and burner and we had about 16lbs of fajitas.
Noted.

OK so. I'm looking into team safari--heard a lot of dudes bring small frame ARs in not 556 (grendels? maybe a valk?)
According to the rules you can use pretty much anything for the "carbine guy" why are folks opting for small frame vs large frame?

Noted.

OK so. I'm looking into team safari--heard a lot of dudes bring small frame ARs in not 556 (grendels? maybe a valk?)
According to the rules you can use pretty much anything for the "carbine guy" why are folks opting for small frame vs large frame?
I'd just go 223. They always seem to run the most trouble free and there's always the option of accuracy by volume.

Noted.

If you look at what Gabe did with his 223 carbine at the match (with 148 total points) you will see that you can easily do what you need with a 223 and a good load. The 223 seems to just run the best in the environment while most of the other cartridges can have issues. I just run 223 at the team stuff because its cheaper to shoot and I have not had failures on the clock with it.

Reactions: T-TurtleWang
Okay I'm convinced my 18" 223 could likely fit the bill. Now I need to get into loading 223...in these times... Then wli can make a decision on team safari