• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel Target Stand, Swinging or Fixed

sass2924

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2009
Southern California
Thinking about doing a large 36x36 target and was wondering about pros and cons of the stand. An A-Frame swinger or some type of fixed stationary system. Anyone have feedback on either method or something else?

What's the intended use? I'd allow it to swing for long range use. The only time fixed is nice is in the 15-50 yard use for smaller calibers.

Yes, allowing it to swing will give you a much better "hit verification" by the target movement. Depending on the condition of the paint and the bullet type (especially with solids) its usually easier to see the target swing than the bullet splash at a mile and out. We set up a 36"x36" at 2500 yds and even with 1/4" AR500 I can tell you its a gut buster to hang by yourself so if you are going to go that big plan on some help lol. Not sure what you're shooting but my 338AI won't move it at that distance but the 375CT will. If you hang the target from one point only by chain to a bolt centered in the target about a third of the way from the top edge it gives the best movement. My 24 incher at 2000 yds will swing like a madman even with the 338 (again 1/4"AR steel).

If setting for 375 Cheytac at those distance would you go 3/8 or even 1/2? I know weight if a issue.

I currently set up for personal use (and that of friends) using 1/4" AR500 steel plate for up to 375 round impacts and wouldn't change from that due to target weight being the limiting factor in both loading/unloading in the truck, transporting and set up. The 24" 1/4"targets @ 2000yds seem to be holding their own, a little beat up but not bad. At one mile & 1500 yds 3/8" plate is used and holds up just fine. Everything inside of that is also 3/8". The 338 has been used for a few rounds at 500 (3/8") with no target damage whatever. The closest target to take 375 rounds is at 1500 and it does just fine so i can't really speak to what would happen to 3/8" targets at closer ranges. 1/2" could be used for the shorter ranges & still be manageable due to being much smaller in dimension.

Swinger in a frame gets my vote , easier to see impacts . Anything
much under 1500 will eventually start to beat up 1/4 plate . I would
suggest a secondary ( much ) smaller target for shorter ranges .

Take a look at our slotted hook targets. That’s what i would do. Super simple and will last forever. At 2000 yards and out shooting the 375, you’ll be fine with our 1/4” ar500. No reason to go thicker.

As of today mine are fixed, and I wish I had gone with swingers. When I have shot swingers it has been easier to hear and see impacts.

Here is one that we put up at 1000 yards. 24 x 36 AR500 3/8"
It hangs easily on a well placed T Post and hasn't sagged it 2 years.
The single bolt and chain mount allows for the plate to move freely.
Hanging a big plate like this cannot get any easier.
Hang Fast Targets more info

phone 8-1-2015 1783.jpg
phone 8-1-2015 1781.jpg

Reactions: blcouch
As of today mine are fixed, and I wish I had gone with swingers. When I have shot swingers it has been easier to hear and see impacts.

The Hang Fast mounting system allows the plate to swing freely on a short chain section making hits at distance easy to see because the plate will react substantially but reset within seconds. This gives you enough time to get back on the scope and see the plate movement and spot your own hits. The single (loose) mounting point also enhances harmonics making the plate ring loudly.

This video shows how the system works