• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel targets for 338 Edge

6.5x47

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2011
Utah
Setting up a somewhat permanent range from 200 out to 2000 yds on a mountain face, up to a 20 deg uphill angle. 338 Edge with 300 Berger OTM's running, hopefully, 2950 fps. How thin can one go with AR500 steel before damage to the steel starts to occur and how close can one go before damage starts to occur. I'll be running 1/4" and 3/8" thick since it's on a mountain face and humping that stuff up the mountain ain't going to be fun so thin = light. For, say, elk hunting, how big would you make the targets; 1, 1.5, 2 moa?

Thanks,

Alan

Alan, hope your doing well!

We shoot 338 edge rifles all the time up here,

For best results, (lifetime)
We recommend 1/2" AR500 for anything about 300-350 yards and closer.
For 400 or so yards and out, the plate being free swinging, you will be fine with 3/8" AR500 targets.

And we use 1/4" AR500 targets for anything about 1000 yards and out. 1/4"AR500 is surprisingly strong and the sounds off of them are awesome at long range.

We have some big 1/4" AR500 targets in stock that are really great for extended range shooting. 20 inch rounds and 24x24 squares have been popular.

Good luck, let us know if we can help

I've shot 300 OTM's at a 3/8" free hanging ar500 at 100yds just to see if it would do anything. It took the top coat and primer off, but it left the factory primer intact. No dents, i was astonished! I'd say you should be fine with 3/8" from 400 on out.

xdeano

Alan,
All of my AR500 plate is 3/8" and I have them hanging on chain so they swing. I have shot them with my 338 edge (2,820fps) at 300yds with no damage. It only took the paint off. You are trying to get 2950fps ...not sure if the extra 130fps will make any difference but I wouldn't think so. My long distance targets are 2 moa.

Awesome info guys. Thanks.

Here's my new range out to 2200 yds near the summit which is about 19-20 uphill angle.

Alan

Attachments

• Ether pk from Sheranian's bench.jpg
    Ether pk from Sheranian's bench.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
3/8" AR500 from Red Stitch Tactical takes my 338LM all day long. Hit it with a 50 a few times and that left a slight dent.

I would say 1.5 MOA for the closer stuff, 2 MOA for the ELR is fine. Even a laser of a caliber such as the Edge will struggle with the small targets at ELR in any kind of wind. I have shot my 338 Edge at 600 on Jake's (JC steel) 3/8" targets all day, they hold up just fine. As Jake mentioned you can save $$ and weight going with 1/4" for the far stuff, and they ring completely different than the thicker steel.

Kirk Roberts

Alan,
All of my AR500 plate is 3/8" and I have them hanging on chain so they swing. I have shot them with my 338 edge (2,820fps) at 300yds with no damage. It only took the paint off. You are trying to get 2950fps ...not sure if the extra 130fps will make any difference but I wouldn't think so. My long distance targets are 2 moa.

Would you care to share your load for this fps please?

I realize that Shawn C, loves H1000 and sometimes Retumbo getting approx 2800, give or take. Over on longrangeonly.com, Shawn's website, Rel 33 is getting some attention and about an extra 100-150 fps with quality accuracy and consistency. I've got four, 8-lb jugs of the stuff if I can just get my rifle built. Still waiting on PTG to send my new bolt around 15 May.

Alan