• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steel targets

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
I'm looking at getting a steel target for 100 to 1000 yards with a 308 up to a 338 LM. What would you recommend? Don't want to spend a ton ether.

Re: Steel targets

1/2 " AR 500 What is your idea of expensive? What types of plates / shapes are you looking for? Take a look at the group buy / options and accessories section. You can usually find a couple of good deals.

http://www.bigdogsteel.com is who I go through

PM him his name is osuarchitect he is Good to GO!

O I forgot to say I would go at least with a MOA size target if you are only going to buy 1 plate. So if your max is 1000yds I would get at least a 10x10" plate (Yes I know thats not a true MOA for 1000) but you get the point

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jeff 03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">O I forgot to say I would go at least with a MOA size target if you are only going to buy 1 plate. So if your max is 1000yds I would get at least a 10x10" plate (Yes I know thats not a true MOA for 1000) but you get the point </div></div>

Thanks brother! I'll be giving the a call!

I would suggest going to your local scrap yard and rummaging through their junk piles. I promise you will be able to find something very inexpensive especially if you are shipping metal from the lower 48 up to Alaska. I would guess that you could find some blind flanges off of pipeline that would be more than heavy duty enough for you needs and if they get shot up you just have a couple dollars in them.

Go to the fire department and get an old piece of fire hose to hang them off and build some sort of stand to hang it. I have used old realtor signs to hang target, relatively light and portable. A t-post with a rod welded to it works pretty good as well. There are a lot of cheaper options that AR 500 plate for sure.

Anybody know what they use at rifles only? I'd like to get some of the "man shaped" targets.

Got to the Railroad yards, talk them out of TY Plates. They are cheap (if not free) and hold up pretty good, even with the heavy hitters.

The have square holes (for the spikes) no problem, get some old spikes and poke them through. Weld the spikes on the back side so they don't come out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cstmwrks</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at getting a steel target for 100 to 1000 yards with a 308 up to a 338 LM. What would you recommend? Don't want to spend a ton ether. </div></div>
I have some input for you. Having spent 40 years in Alaska there was always the "screw you" factor when it came to shipping. These folks ship via the mail and use the flat rate box. I bought 3 for a total of 150.00 shipped. Costs them no more to ship to you then me so it may be worth your time.
The ones listed ( that I bought ) are 3/8" AR500 and I've slammed them at 700 and 1000 yards with my .338. Bounced them clean up over the support bare but did not leave any more of a mark then the 308 rounds.

Anyhow, just a thought if shipping is an issue. </div></div>

Kimball at Bobcat Steel - a vendor at the Hide - also uses flat rate boxes.

Gotta give them a call, really like the hostage taker add-on. I just wonder if there's a way to make it "mobile", my range won't let me put fence posts in the ground.

I have had some good luck with ARTZEN steel. I use a 1/4" carriage bolt and hang on some PTO belting for tractors (drill hole in the belting and hand from a piece of rebar) and farm equipment that I get at a tractor supply store. The plate is only 6" and even at 200 yards the plate is fine, but the impact from 260 and 308 rounds is such that it blows the head off of the bolt. It is not the splatter, but the strong force on the plate pushing back and the bolt head then taking up all of that force. It pops off the heads. I am getting some harder bolts.

You missed out on a great deal from MGM...they had a deal for a 100% IPSC target with post and stand for $210 shipped.