• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Steel vs. Aluminum rings .308?

IHutch5R

Private
Minuteman
Oct 23, 2012
Boise, ID
I just bought a 700 ss 5r in .308. My local gun shop is telling me I dont need steel rings for this caliber. Is this correct?? Oh, and if you feel like this is a "dumb" question.. I dont need to be ridiculed. Thanks!
confused.gif

Re: Steel vs. Aluminum rings .308?

Quality aluminum rings are good to go. Steel is for the insecure.
See? No ridicule.

7075T6 is pretty strong. Take a look a Seekins rings. They will serve you well. .308 isn't going to pound you too much so no worries. I would be more concerned about putting on a decent rail with recoil lug.

Aluminum is fine for 308. I use Seekins, Badger, IOR, and LaRue. I have really liked the Seekins because of their price range being noticeably lower than Badger and still built to a high quality.

Shouldn't be steel vs aluminum but quality vs crap. Nothing wrong with a good quality set of aluminum rings like Seekins. I use them on everything including my 300WM. Would use them before a crappy pair of steel rings.

No need for anything other than Seekins... period. Have you noticed a pattern here??

DK

What's steel gonna do over quality aluminum? If you drop your gun hard enough to tear up, break, loosen or destroy aluminum rings your scope is gonna be more of the concern

It comes down to personal preference..

You save a few ounces running Aluminum.

Other than that, I have never noticed any discernable difference in
strength.

People may argue that steel is stronger, ... Maybe??

If so, then why does every high end manufacturer of scope rings
or mounts offer a lightweight version??

.. Because aluminum or like alloy is just as strong, while lighter.

I run alloy rings on everything, to include 338LP.. I have never had any issue.

NF unimounts.. Larue's mounts, etc.. all are lightweight alloy.

Invest in a good quality ring or mount, torque it to their specs, you will have no problem

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VJJPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's steel gonna do over quality aluminum? If you drop your gun hard enough to tear up, break, loosen or destroy aluminum rings your scope is gonna be more of the concern </div></div>

That's my opinion as well. I think the precision of the fit between the rail/ring and the ring/scope are far more important than the material used. I always find it interesting when some shooters insist that steel rings are necessary for mounting their aluminum scope on an aluminum AR receiver. Maybe I'm missing something.

I think we are all fortunate to have such good ring choices these days. When I started shooting 40 years ago, the typical rings were stamped sheet metal with slotted screws. They fit like crap and would gouge a scope instantly.

Seekins Aluminium and if you are on a budget, look at TPS Aluminum. I have been using aluminum rings for years and I shoot matches with my rifles so they get pretty beat up. Never had an issue, and can't say I know anyone that has had any issues with aluminum rings.

Receiver Upper is aluminum to begin with. I don't see the sense of using steel rings with it. It's weight where weight brings no serious benefit. Using steel rings would likely make the receiver the point of any failure. I'd prefer that failure to occur in the ring.

I see it as being like putting a fuze into a set of electrical wiring. The fuse is sized to protect a specific wiring guage, and not according to the circuit's desired load. Make the fuse too stout and it's the wiring that fails.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawman556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would be more concerned about putting on a decent rail with recoil lug. </div></div>

+1

Seekins, Badger, Nightforce, and several others as mentioned all make excellent rings. Invest in a good base though which is just as important and probably one of the most overlooked points.

Ok so I just couldn't hold back! After reading this thread, I am wondering why Aadland was not mentioned. No experience in use to not mention them or....what???

I run steel on my rifles, just because I change scopes and rings more than my old lady changes shoes. The Steel screws and aluminium threads usually cant hang with my rifle ADHD. If you are gonna buy once and leave it alone, then no reason not to go aluminium.

I swap scopes around on rifles and Seekins have never given me any problems. Move them, torque them and go shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powdermeasure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so I just couldn't hold back! After reading this thread, I am wondering why Aadland was not mentioned. No experience in use to not mention them or....what??? </div></div>

You asked a preference issue, so you're getting peoples preferences is all. If you want to know more about a specific then just ask and I'm sure they'll chime in...

Aluminum has its uses, I just prefer steel. that said quality is still just as important.

After I tried Seekins approx 2 years ago on one rifle, I switched all permanently mount setups to Seekins. They are just that good.

rob01 nailed it on the head...it is quality vs crap.

Awesome, thanks for all the input! Its so hard when one person tells you one thing and another totally shuts it down. I just purchased a pair of seekins rings and a BO rail. Again, I appreciate the positive feedback!

I have seekins aluminum and badger steel... I wouldn't lose sleep using either one...

ARC actually makes some really great stuff, but they are abit on the pricey side.