• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes STEINER 3-15 Review

D_TROS

Flag-Sword-Cross
Minuteman
  • Aug 19, 2010
    North Denver, CO
    :cool:Just received my New Steiner 3-15x50 :p

Some Specs:

Rect: MSR
    1/10mil clicks
    Travel: 27Mils (actual what I tested. Spec sheet says 26 mils)
    Windage: 6 mils both directions
    Tube 34mm
    FOV 100yds (ft): 39.7'-7.9'
    (Compared with steiner 4-16: 28.5'-7.9')
    (Compared with steiner 5-25: 23.6'-4.6')
    Eye Relief: 3.5"
    Exit Pupil: 10.4-3.33
    Length: 14.2"
    (Steiner 5-25 LEngth: 16.6")
    Weight: 32.5 ozs
    (Steiner 5-25 Weight: 36.3 ozs
    Parallax: Side focus 50-Infinity
    Operating Range: -25 to 63 (deg C)

disclaimer: I am not an optics pro. I am an average joe who works in the construction trade. These are my average opinions for the average joe.

So far this review is preliminary. I literally got it last night and cracked it out of box. I plan to mount up on my 22lr to do some box testing. Will update as I further testing.

Initial impressions were very good. It seems alot smaller than the 5-25. VERY robust. I like the shorter ocular. I like the overall size. Seems like it would be at heaven on an AR platfor, like a GAP10 6.5 CM, but I am going to use it on me main match rifle. The last 3 matches I participated in, I never went aboe 12-15 power except for twice (Cold bore shots first thing in morning...ha and I could have missed the OPPS Shoot for the Green and 20+mph winds with less power zoomed in just as easily!! ha)

Glass wise I was utterly impressed. I own or have owned every high end scope. I am a scope horr as well as a Mechanical Engineer. I like comparing/looking at everything. This scope glass wise is as good or BETTER than my Henny or Premeir. I honestly couldnt believe it. Was very easy on the eyes and details are easy to discern at range. I felt like the scope had a higher power than 15x. Comparing to my 5-25, it is better. I would compare my Steiner 5-25 to my S&B 3-20. Good but not in the Henny/Premeir catagory. I would talk about distortion or any other light defraction smaction (lol) but this scope showed none of these traits.

Eye box is solid. Not nearly as good as a Henny, but just as good as my S&B. No complaints.

The knobs are better than the 5-25. My 5-25 knobs are slightly mushy. I realize its because they pack the thing full of grease, but the 3-15 knobs are vert tactile and audible. A definite upgrade from the 5-25. Other than the clicking, from the turret housing back, the size is the exact same as the 5-25.

The zoom ring is the same as the 5-25 but turns twice as easily. A definite upgrade here as well as I thought the 5-25 was excessively tough to turn.

Illuminations worked spot on and I really like how the knob has a off detent after every increasing power number (...6 - off - 7 - off - 8 - off...etc)

MSR rect is quite appealing. I have never used it and it seems to have everything I need. I wish they didnt have the quick range bars on the lower right, as I will never use it, but I do like the target milling hashes on the lower left. I also like the floating center cross. A nice feature is the solid horizontal and top vertical hash. I always hate FFP scopes because you will never be able to use them at low powers (rect too small). These thick bars allow quick acquisition at low powers and I feel like hunting, I would not have a problem getting on target quickly. I also like the lower vertical hair is continues all the way down. If I want to long range it with an AR10 or my 338, I can make accurate holds all the way to over 50 mils. Obviously more than I will need, but I may have to snipe a rock at 2 miles!! ha...

Well, here are some pics. As you can tell, CO has been hit by some weather. Took these pics this morning before heading out. Can see a fence at 65 yards in the 3x pic. The 15x pic I was able to see a tractor at 550 yards, but camera didnt pick it up. Crazy snow in May.

3x
    img0478gu.jpg

15x
    img0477jaz.jpg

Compared to 5-25 (5-25 has sunshade on)
    steinercomprs.jpg

steinercompls.jpg

I would also like to give a shout out to the Ted with American RIfle Company and their new M10 Rings. These rings are a true engineering masterpiece. The spec sheet says to torq ALL screws to 65 in*lbs. 65!!!
    I was a little nervous, so I torq'd in increments to check for damage. Not a mark. Definitely check them out. Top notch.
    m110rings.jpg

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will address them as best I can. Will update as weather permits. Will be at Snipers Hide Cup this year, as well as Score Hi and a few other matches, so if you want to check it out, let me know.

Regards,
    DT

Looks great, thanks for the pics. Great idea of pic with both scopes side by side. Would be perfect on a 18"-20" .308 AR.

You are right about FFP at lowest magnification, most reticles are too fine for close work.

Your post is good an example of why I joined SH.

Didn't know they were making these. I got to look through quack303head's 5-25 at the BV range a couple weeks ago and liked it. Who is selling them? I looked at swfa and didn't see 'em listed. Are they using the same glass as on the 5-25? I've never used my scope much more than 15x too. I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading from my swfa 5-20. Thanks for the info on these.

Nice writeup. Thanks.

Whereja buy it? Have been surfing the usual optics dealers and haven't seen one of these FS.

Please PM me if you'd prefer not to post the info.

Didn't know they were making these. I got to look through quack303head's 5-25 at the BV range a couple weeks ago and liked it. Who is selling them? I looked at swfa and didn't see 'em listed. Are they using the same glass as on the 5-25? I've never used my scope much more than 15x too. I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading from my swfa 5-20. Thanks for the info on these.

TriggerTime will be stocking them in Colorado. Thanks D_TROS - NICE write-up (now give my 5-25 back!!)!

Get with one of the Steiner Shooting Team members at the Sniper's Hide Cup, Steel Safari, Score High Tactical Rifle Challenge, Heat Stoke Open, Battle in the Canyons, CD Team Challenge, or the Utah State Match to check them out in person! RJ

Last edited:
    TriggerTime will be stocking them in Colorado. Thanks D_TROS - NICE write-up (now give my 5-25 back!!)!

Get with one of the Steiner Shooting Team members at the Sniper's Hide Cup, Steel Safari, Score High Tactical Rifle Challenge, Heat Stoke Open, Battle in the Canyons, CD Team Challenge, or the Utah State Match to check them out in person! RJ

Still waiting to hear about how to order a CW version....

Would you suggest that this scope can be used effectively at distances of up to 800 metres on a .308? Or would the 5-25 be more suitable?

What about Scott at Liberty Optics, all my transactions with him have been great!

Doug @ cmaerlandny had some demos (5-25) for 2500 shipped may wanna check with him as well.

I just received mine, with the MSR reticle, from FinnAccuracy dot com at a great discount. Play the exchange rate right and you can save even more--VERY nice scope. They've been offering these scope since before release to pre-orders.

'MERICA!!

haha

Going to finally take it out this weekend. Will update thread after with some more thoughts.

Got to compare with a new 5-25 w/MSR. I must of had an early 5-25, because the tactile knobs I like as well as the magnification knob on the new 5-25 are almost identicle to the 3-15. I think Steiner has perfected the knobs for sure. Beefy as all get out.

DT

Sorry to bump an older thread - but rather than starting a new one I was hoping to hear if any folks had any additional thoughts or updates on these scopes.

Thanks!

The Steiner 3-15x50mm in an outstanding scope I really like the whole package. Compact for the power range, light weight, some of the best glass you can get, positive turrets that track spot on.

1070020_573058486070002_2056555476_n.jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL