• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner failure

Agreed it doesn't make a great deal of difference, i've also heard of some marked "tactical" whilst my 4-16x50 is marked "military" in the end it's just superficial markings on the exact same scope. My Steiner is a solid scope that is holding up well so far, so hopefully this incident is just a bad batch of QC that Steiner can rectify easily for those affected

What exactly am I wrong about? So what if they are in the same building what does Burris make for Steiner? How about a quote from Martin at Steiner:

That's funny because I worked there when Beretta bought Steiner. And the first military scopes were built and prototyped by Burris employees. Also produced in the same assembly line by Burris employees. And machined on Burris equipment.

That's funny because I worked there when Beretta bought Steiner. And the first military scopes were built and prototyped by Burris employees. Also produced in the same assembly line by Burris employees. And machined on Burris equipment.

The sign out front says Burris / Steiner on it too!

Damned, I thought all German products was superior.

That was only said within the Third Reich after the Third Reich. Things are different now. Now German industry makes things just like everybody else. And like everybody else we have to send it back for repairs if shit happens. I can't speak for everybody but I rarely follow up to see what happened when complaints like this get posted. What is really hilarious is nobody complains in public when their shit Tasco breaks and they send it back under warranty. What is even more hilarious is the OP's complaint mirrors that of undocumented Barska complaints. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I wonder what in the design of the parallax control is the weak link? Is it a manufacturing QC issue or a design flaw? Cuz nobody wants a scope with fragile knobs.

It has to be a quality control issue because I have the same knobs on my 3-12x50 and my 5-25 mx. They are built very well.

As for my 3-12x56 with the issue.... It's like they didn't tighten a retention bolt internally to where it came loose. I'm sure it will be an easy fix.

I had a S&B short dot that I had to send in for repairs. IMO, the lack of QC in the optic industry is staggering.

You absolutely sure about that?

I'll just say it... YOU'RE WRONG.

Burris and Steiner are in the same building in Greeley, CO.

And I would trust a repaired scope more than a brand new one. Then at least I know the scope has been gone through. New scopes are subjected to sample testing. Faulty ones will get through.

One more thing... 4-6 weeks turn around time is not that long. What's S&B's repair time? Or any other scope manufacturer excluding Vortex.

Repair times I've had experience with;
Bushnell ET 5 weeks
Vortex Razor 1 week
S&B PM II 1 week

Joe

Lots of stuff here to address and I'm sure I'll miss some but I'll do my best.

First and foremost, if you have an issue let me know about it first. I always try to expedite items for Hide members and usually without fail. Of the four people with issues in this thread I've heard from exactly none of them. You chose to not utilize my help and I will allow you to continue down the road you chose. I'm not on here much but I try when time allows.

There are no design or QC issues with parallax knobs or anything else that I know of but I will look into it today. Again, I'm just now hearing about it for the first time but I usually hear of any Steiner scope issue that comes in and I've not heard of this.

Burris no longer manufactures products in the Greeley facility as far as I know so no they don't produce Steiner products regardless of when you worked for us or what you saw when you did work for us.

The 4x Military scopes were all produced in the US.

The M5Xi was and still is produced in Germany.

Please understand that it's really tough to address any of these types of threads. I have no idea what we are talking about because I haven't seen the issue or the scope first hand or any scope with the same issue as a matter of fact. Maybe there have been others but I simply don't know of them.

Case in point, there was a thread here about one of our scope not holding zero. A bit of a flame thread that turned out to be nothing more than an "I want your complete and sole attention so I can get special treatment" thread. End result? Scope works perfectly fine and no matter what we do to it we can't make it NOT hold zero. Recoil testing was done on film to show that very thing. Zeroed and box tested on a 300 Win Mag with the same result. The scope works and not only that we just can't seem to make it not work. So what do we do now? Replace it with a new scope and eat the used one that we no longer can use because that's what the guy demanded? Or do we send him back his fully functional scope? All I'm saying is give us a chance to look into it before burning us at the stake. And no I'm not saying the OP doesn't have an issue. I'm just saying we have no idea if he does or not. We will wait a few weeks to see what happens with it as it was not sent directly to me as I would have instructed him to do had he contacted me first.

We have in the past sent replacement scopes when there was an issue. In fact we even sent Hide members new scopes before they sent us their faulty ones just to do a side by side comparison. Unfortunately one of those situations came back to bite us in the back side of which I will not get into detail. The end result is that we no longer send out new scopes without receiving the original scope first. I will let you come to your own conclusions as to why. My point being that yes we try to bend over backwards when we feel there is an issue with one of our products. Again, we cant fix a problem that we don't know exists. When we know about it we do whatever we can to fix it as quickly and as satisfactorily to the end user as possible.

Would I have an issue with a scope that went through our repair process? Uh absolutely not. And here is why. We have great people working in our clean room assembling scopes and they do a great job. There job is to take part A and assembly it onto assembly B and then add part C to create assembly D. They are very good at doing that and I have absolute confidence in them doing just what I described. What they don't know is what part A does in relation to part C or the overall function of assembly D. That's not their job. Our repair techs know exactly what each and every part does in relation to the others. They are extremely good at what they do and have the knowledge and skill to make sure everything is working as it should if not better than intended. I think JMGlasgow would agree with me on that. Have one of my personal scopes disassembled and reassembled by one of our repair techs? Ummm yes please!

I noticed one more thing that I need to clear up. We don't do "sample testing" as was stated in this thread. Perhaps that was in reference to Burris. I have no idea.

Last edited:
I would agree with the repair process, I think it would return better than when new. I used to repair scopes for Burris. I also did not know that Burris no longer makes scopes in Greeley. Not really surprised though. Thanks for clearing that up.

Send the perfectly functioning scope back with a subscription to online training so he can learn how to shoot it.

I even asked if he had sent Martin a PM but guess that was a no. Thanks for clearing things up Martin!

I was going to ask a rep to see where I am in the repair queue, are there any active since this new/old site launched?