• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner H6xi

I agree 100% with needing it in broad daylight. “Daytime bright” isn’t really necessary. Where I can see using it is hunting in the timber. I live and hunt in the Pacific Northwest. I don’t know if you have ever done that or not, but it can get very thick and very dark. It is possible to find yourself in holes so deep you start wondering how you’re going to get out. Add to that a good winter storm where it might rain 3 to 6 inches in a day and it can be down right dark in there. In those situations, you’re not going to get a 300 yard shot with time to set up and zoom in. Your shots are going to be, generally, under 50 yards at a critter that just jumped out of its bed and took off running. Needing to acquire that reticle and get it on target in a hurry is very important. Can it be done without illumination? Absolutely. Would illumination help to see the reticle? Also, absolutely. In those situations I would rather have it and not need it. But like I said, I didn’t want to have to rely on it and with the MOA reticle in this H6xi I don’t think I will.

I live in Idaho. So I have definitely hunted in the PNW 😉

That doesn't mean they are selling 1000s of these things.

They could only be getting them in at a few dozen a shipment.
They’re selling enough to stay in business, doubt a few dozen sales here and there keep the lights on. There is a market for light durable ffp mil hunting scopes. Especially one that holds zero under some use and abuse.

This is where a reticle specifically designed for crossover use in a FFP optic can really "make it or break it". Bushnell was on to something with their LRHS, but a string of unfortunate events occurred that I believe hindered that scope from gaining wider acceptance. The G2H reticle was brilliant, with the circle of death definitely helping when on low magnification, I'd love to see more manufacturers offer this as an option, many of them already do this with LPVO scopes they just need to realize a similar design could really help out for certain users in other scope models. While the LRHS was an exceptional optical performer when released, it came at a time when many users were looking at 5x and sometimes 6x erectors, it was also a time where long scopes were becoming a passing phase and the new ultra shorts were getting all the buzz. I think those last two items were really what caused the demise of the LRHS/LRTS series of scopes. But some scopes simply went too short (the Eotech 5-25 comes to mind). With the continued expansion within the thermal clipon world there is definitely a place for the "short scope" but I still think there is a place for not too short but not too long, find the happy medium so to speak which still offers some clipon opportunity without compromising too much on how forgiving the scope is. I think the Steiner H6Xi 2-12x42 may have found that happy medium, but now the big question is what will the final design of the FFP Mil reticle be, some early reports at SHOT were encouraging but if the design is simply a modified SCR2 reticle I am concerned about it's usability at 2x. This is the biggest complaint by far from the hunting community when it comes to FFP scopes, they do not find the reticle usable at lower mags and I get that and I'm surprised it has taken manufacturers this long to figure this out. If you're going to put in something like an SCR2 reticle then it needs to be usable at the bottom in varying conditions, this can sometimes be solved by bright illumination but also can be solved with a circle of death type of feature.

This is where a reticle specifically designed for crossover use in a FFP optic can really "make it or break it". Bushnell was on to something with their LRHS, but a string of unfortunate events occurred that I believe hindered that scope from gaining wider acceptance. The G2H reticle was brilliant, with the circle of death definitely helping when on low magnification, I'd love to see more manufacturers offer this as an option, many of them already do this with LPVO scopes they just need to realize a similar design could really help out for certain users in other scope models. While the LRHS was an exceptional optical performer when released, it came at a time when many users were looking at 5x and sometimes 6x erectors, it was also a time where long scopes were becoming a passing phase and the new ultra shorts were getting all the buzz. I think those last two items were really what caused the demise of the LRHS/LRTS series of scopes. But some scopes simply went too short (the Eotech 5-25 comes to mind). With the continued expansion within the thermal clipon world there is definitely a place for the "short scope" but I still think there is a place for not too short but not too long, find the happy medium so to speak which still offers some clipon opportunity without compromising too much on how forgiving the scope is. I think the Steiner H6Xi 2-12x42 may have found that happy medium, but now the big question is what will the final design of the FFP Mil reticle be, some early reports at SHOT were encouraging but if the design is simply a modified SCR2 reticle I am concerned about it's usability at 2x. This is the biggest complaint by far from the hunting community when it comes to FFP scopes, they do not find the reticle usable at lower mags and I get that and I'm surprised it has taken manufacturers this long to figure this out. If you're going to put in something like an SCR2 reticle then it needs to be usable at the bottom in varying conditions, this can sometimes be solved by bright illumination but also can be solved with a circle of death type of feature.
100% nailed it. I’ve been waiting for years for someone to get it right, in the meantime I keep grabbing the 3-12 LRTSi/LRHS when they pop up. It’s beyond frustrating at this point.

They’re selling enough to stay in business, doubt a few dozen sales here and there keep the lights on. There is a market for light durable ffp mil hunting scopes. Especially one that holds zero under some use and abuse.
Not being able to keep to them in stock means nothing if you don't know how many they are getting in at a time.

SWFA can't keep their scopes in stock and have huge back orders, not because they sell 20,000 a year but because they haven't been getting regular shipments.

Reactions: BCP
Not being able to keep to them in stock means nothing if you don't know how many they are getting in at a time.

SWFA can't keep their scopes in stock and have huge back orders, not because they sell 20,000 a year but because they haven't been getting regular shipments.
From Maven, sounds like they are pretty popular and there is a market for them however “niche” it may be. I’m not trying to prove sales numbers or argue 1” tube bdc whitetail scopes don’t drive a large demand. But there are plenty of people wanting a light durable ffp mil optic for hunting. Emphasis on durable

01BE7413-94F3-4546-8E49-D422583931C0.jpeg

From Maven, sounds like they are pretty popular and there is a market for them however “niche” it may be. I’m not trying to prove sales numbers or argue 1” tube bdc whitetail scopes don’t drive a large demand. But there are plenty of people wanting a light durable ffp mil optic for hunting. Emphasis on durable
Maven selling 200 or 300 (which is the usual MOQ) RS1.2 scopes doesn't mean someone like Vortex or Nightforce is going to invest into R&D for a product that will need to sell 1000's a year for them to make it worth their while.
It will be interesting to see if it continues to sell in such large numbers, as I imagine a huge amount of sales are coming from Rokslide members who watch the drop tests. Once they've bought the couple of scopes they need will sales drop off of while they continue to climb?
My prediction is they will taper off.

We are actually on the same page, their is indeed a niche market for scopes of this type but no one really knows how big that market is.
I'd imagine it is relatively small, as if Bushnell were receiving hundreds of emails a week asking for the LRHS 3-12 to come back then they could easily do it. The fact they haven't and even GAP haven't bought but a 3-12 LRHS2 indicates this market is very very small.

I still think manufacturers could easily make "Tactical" scopes that cater to this market, I even think competition scopes (PRS/NRL etc) would benefit from thicker FFP reticles. Maybe there will be a trend back in this direction? Who knows.

Reactions: clark33

View attachment 8377534
That is encouraging to hear, especially since Maven started out with SFP scopes. They must have found a good formula.

Don’t know which Leupold you’re referring to but my experience so far has been the exact opposite. I have a Leupold VX5HD, the scope this Steiner will replace, and the H6xi blows it out of the water in every category. Except weight. It is heavier but the turrets are much more crisp, tactile and audible. Glass is super bright and clear all the way to the edge. And the illumination is just fine, though, it could be a touch brighter if you really needed to use it in the middle of the day for some reason.

Those are my observations, anyway, from my very small sample size of these 2 scopes. The VX5hd is a great scope and I’m still trying to figure out why I want to replace it. But I do feel the H6xi outperforms it, which it should for almost double the price.
I very much agree with your observations. I only compared it to Leupold for reference. Thanks for taking to explain even further.

I agree, I don't think there's been much commitment.

But on the occasion when a manufacturer dips their toe into the pool, not much seems to happen. Burris offered the Veracity, their flagship hunting scope in mil FFP with an SCR reticle. Which is an excellent hunting reticle. And it didn't sell. The MOA model with a BDC reticle is what everyone bought.

The mil FFP guys don't exist in sufficient numbers to justify a dedicated hunting scope from most manufacturers. There's some good crossover tac optics that come pretty close. But a dedicated lightweight hunting optic is just a longshot.

Some poor marketing there by Burris. Don’t think there’s much of a following for the Veracity line in long range circles. i think that’s why Vortex has success with the PST and Razor LHT lines. They started as FFP mil/mil long range scopes and then added lighter more hunting/crossover oriented scopes. I don’t know anything about Veracity and don’t know anyone who does either. (And I own and like Burris scopes!)

Now if Burris came out with an XTR offshoot, like an XTR-H for hunting or XTR-L for lightweight, they could update the XTRII 2-10 and people would buy it.

Also, what is not being taken into account is that the long range crowd leads the way on much of this stuff and the “rank and file hunters” often follow. I have several friends who never shoot past 200 yards who ask me what scope to buy for their hunting rifles. We talk about FFP vs SFP, MIL vs MOA, dialing vs hold over. Even though they may not regularly shoot past 200 yards, they all plan to hunt elk, caribou, antelope someday and want to be capable. So the companies who cater to the long range crowd with 5-25/7-35 PRS scopes and also offer lighter FFP/MPVO mil/mil hunting scopes will rule the market in 3-5 years. Just my $.02.

Last edited:
Only negative I've read/noticed on my T6Xi, besides weight, is that illumination isn't particularly bright.
I have the T6Xi 1-6 and the illumination is good. Though I understand being an LPVO with a different reticle that may be considered apples and oranges.

Reactions: Jip4012
Steiner and most of the manufacturers don’t believe anyone hunts with mil/mil let alone FFP. I’ve been advocating for this for a long time, with the right reticle it can do exceedingly well.
I'm in the same camp. I only have a couple of moa SFP scopes left and am only buying mil FFP for all purposes.

Reactions: Glassaholic
Strongly considering replacing my VX-6 3-18x50 with the H6Xi 3-18x50. I'd want FFP and that seems to be the one by the numbers.

Some poor marketing there by Burris. Don’t think there’s much of a following for the Veracity line in long range circles. i think that’s why Vortex has success with the PST and Razor LHT lines. They started as FFP mil/mil long range scopes and then added lighter more hunting/crossover oriented scopes. I don’t know anything about Veracity and don’t know anyone who does either. (And I own and like Burris scopes!)

Now if Burris came out with an XTR offshoot, like an XTR-H for hunting or XTR-L for lightweight, they could update the XTRII 2-10 and people would buy it.

Also, what is not being taken into account is that the long range crowd leads the way on much of this stuff and the “rank and file hunters” often follow. I have several friends who never shoot past 200 yards who ask me what scope to buy for their hunting rifles. We talk about FFP vs SFP, MIL vs MOA, dialing vs hold over. Even though they may not regularly shoot past 200 yards, they all plan to hunt elk, caribou, antelope someday and want to be capable. So the companies who cater to the long range crowd with 5-25/7-35 PRS scopes and also offer lighter FFP/MPVO mil/mil hunting scopes will rule the market in 3-5 years. Just my $.02.

Haha, that's an understatement.. There was zero marketing by Burris of the Veracity to long range shooters. It's a hunting scope, that was never their market. The were offering FFP/Mil/mil reticles to hunters. It didn't get much sales activity compared to their moa/BDC scope.

But I wholeheartedly agree about the XTR III. A lightweight line up would be the bomb, and I do believe there is an item or two in R&D that could be pretty popular. A nice crossover similar to the H6Xi. They have some cool stuff in the hopper.

• Love
Reactions: Glassaholic