• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Steiner M830R 1535nm Bino LRF Tests

Fred @ Bison Tactical

Bison Tactical
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 18, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    www.bisontactical.com
    I was out doing some tests yesterday to bracket my reticle to verify everything was correctly aligned (Etched reticle, Lit Reticle and beam). I figured I would post up some pictures of the tests since I am very happy with the performance of these Laser Range Finder binoculars.

I tested ranging from the RRS Anvil-30 locked down, and was able to get a consistent range on some rocks at 8335. If I move the reticle above the rocks, I get ----, so I was happy with the testing of the location of the beam vs etched reticle vs. lit reticle.

Kestrel Updates
    I was also happy my Kestrel would pick up closer readings around 3669/3666 (I didn't get pictures of both range and Kestrel from the same range which is why they are off by 3 yards). I have since updated firmware (1.21) so the Kestrel will now accept readings out to 5029M.

While I don't have a scope that has over 96MIL of travel, its actually a nice feature that the Kestrel takes the longer range because of the way I am using the Kestrel with the Steiners. Sometimes I might range past the target and pick up a range on something much farther than what I intended . When that happens, the integrated BT communication tells the Kestrel the range. If I ranged something farther than the Kestrel can read, I get a message on the Kestrel "Unusable Target Data Received".

This is the same message you would get on the Kestrel if you also didn't get a range on the Steiners ( ---- y). The problem is that you have to hit the "exit" button to bypass the message on the Kestrel. So, if your in a hurry, you can't simply re-range, you have to interact with the Kestrel to dismiss the message before you can get a valid range displayed. There is no feedback in the Steiner on this, so you would need to realize your range is longer than what the Kestrel can deal with.

So, by increasing the max distance the Kestrel for the Kestrel, I have a more efficient workflow when I make a mistake now.

I am pretty sure this was NOT what was intended for this function (most likely ELR), but I am happy to have the new feature :)

Steiner Reticle
    I want to also point out that I REALLY like having an etched reticle in these binoculars.

This is defiantly a benefit in competition. Its very seldom you are allowed behind your rifle scope in a competition, but you are allowed behind your spotting scope and or binoculars. Having a reticle to measure my target width is a great confidence builder. I can look at my Kestrel, check the wind hold I have decided on, and determine if my target is wider than my wind hold. If so, I know I am holding on the plate, and that makes it a lot easier to bracket my wind values knowing how wide the target is compared to my estimated wind values.

8335-yards-SteinerRange-800.jpg
    20180521_171644.jpg

20180521_171711.jpg

https://www.bisontactical.com/products/steiner-m830r-1535nm-laser-rangefinder-binoculars

Reactions: Arevalosocom
    Do they transmit inclination and compass to the Kestrel? When you get an unusable reading, does it drop the BT connection? What is the beam divergence?

Do they transmit inclination and compass to the Kestrel? When you get an unusable reading, does it drop the BT connection? What is the beam divergence?

Currently - No inclination or bearing to the Kestrel - the current model doesn't have those sensors (something I have requested as a change since the Kestrel can receive the data).

When you get an unusable reading, it doesn't drop the BT connection, just posts a message on the Kestrel.

Beam divergence is bit larger at 2.02 X 1.5 mrad (Average 1.76 mrad) comparted to the old Terrapin at 2.4 × 0.4 mrad (Average 1.4 mrad).

Will these reliably range a full size ISPC sillouhette at 2000 yards?

Will these reliably range a full size ISPC sillouhette at 2000 yards?

Not sure, I haven't tried to test a full size ISPC at 2000 yards in a situation where I could be certain I was only ranging the test target and nothing else (a good way would be to put it on a tall pole above skyline)

I can tell you that the testing done by Nick Vitalbo in the book Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting VOL II indicated that the Vectronix PLRF 25 was able to range a 2.5' x 2.5' 50% reflective target at 1700 meters. These Steiners were able to range the same target at 1600 meters, outperforming the Vectronix Terrapin in that test and equaling the Wilcox RAPTAR - V1.

You'd like the target to have at least 60% of the laser on it. 1 mil at 2K is 72", so that beam size is going to be marginal at best. The Vector 21 or 23 will do, the 21 is .3 x .7 mil, so it's 21 x 50 inches at 2K, most of the beam is on target.

First time playing w my Steiners over 3k yards. I was able to range a roof top at 6651 in light rain. Rain stopped and ranged a roof top at 9215.. you have to pay to play!