• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner MM

RGraff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2003
La Grande,OR
Anyone have experience with Steiner's Military/Marines? Good, bad? I'm looking at the 8x.

Thanks.

Re: Steiner MM

I had a Steiner 8x30 Military Marine that was Isreali surplus, I paid about $120 for them a few years ago then sold them for the same amount a few months ago. Steiner is considered by a few here to be the Bushnell of German optics, there are better options out there to be had but they will cost more. The ones I had were OK for used military binos, I think they are not a bad deal if you can get them cheap. I have read that Steiner is a PITA about their warranty service.

I did notice their warranty is only 10 years long. That's a pretty big deal for me. I'm starting to reconsider. Anyone else with first hand experience?

Thanks wilshire.

I like Steiners and feel their good glass for the money. I currently have three pair including a new pair with the ranging mildot reticle that are really nice(they are heavy though).

As to customer service I can attest to a at least one good service call on their part. I purchased a used pair of 8x30 Scouts off of ebay. This is a model that looks like the larger Military 7x50 with the attached compass except is smaller and more compact. They were in overall great shape but had a visible air bubble that was in the compass housing and could be seen in the scope when viewing. These were out of warranty and I wasn't the original purchaser; they knew this and fixed the problem at no cost to me except my cost of shipping to and from. Take it for what its worth.

I own the 10x50 M/M and they are really good binos for the money. Had no problem seeing people at +1.5 miles at QT pumping gas.

I bought a set of 2nd hand steiner 7x50 Military bino's, must be 15 years ago. They have been abused, dropped, sat on, chewed by the dog, used as a bipod or rear bag in the field, dragged through all kinds of shit and muck. never failed.

After countless hunting trips to Scotland the lenses had gotten rubbed and scratched badly, I sent them in to Steiner for an estimate,. 3 weeks later i recieved my bino's back, totaly overhauled, new lenses at the front, re polished and recoated at the rear, new strap.. the charge was 0. for free..

I then came across a cheap set for sale, brand new at Frankonia, (Frankonia=Cabelas germany) from a failed military contract, so i bought a set,, thinking handy to have 2 sets..
first trip to scotland, they got piss wet through inside,
I complained like hell to Steiner,.,. well aparently the things where made for a nice war country where water tightness isnt an issue,.,. so that model was never water proof just water resistant.
For the hassle I recieved a brand new set of Steiner Night Hunter 8x56, and my wet military set where dried out, sealed up waterproof, and again,, the price was 0 .. free.
Steiner make some excellent, robust bino's with good optics, the also make some cheaper lines that look just the same on the outside. But they stand by thier products.
The only reason i'm not using Steiners today is that i require a range finder in my bino's and i got a set dirt cheap off Leica because I tested and wrote about thier Geovids for a UK gun magazine. My old original set of Steiners i have on loan to a mate who is hunting with them, and they are still working great.

Pete

have a M22 its big 7x50 heavy but cristal clear optics,only negativ is the laser filter on the NSN version with the violet touch on the view,but great FOV and very sharp