• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Steiner T5XI 5-25x56 or Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29x56...

Mike.b1245

Private
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2018
Hello sniper hide,

I have currently narrow down a new rifle scope in the 1600 dollar range for either the Steiner t5xi series or the Athlon Cronus BTR I was curious which would be a better choice for optical clarity turret tracking and the best value overall. I will be having this in a QD mount so that it can be able to be placed on multiple rifles in the future. Like y'all's opinion on which one is better.

These are two out of my final three selected as well. Interested to hear some first hand thoughts. Seems like the Cronus might have better glass, but I really like the Steiner turrets

These are two out of my final three selected as well. Interested to hear some first hand thoughts. Seems like the Cronus might have better glass, but I really like the Steiner turrets
What is your 3rd choice

What is your 3rd choice

I'm really focused on a "new" scope in the $1500 range, but the fact that there are still some S&B PMII with the P4l fine reticle out there for under $2400 in making the choice to pull the trigger on much harder.

I know the answer here is going to be the Cronus or "get a used vortex" I personally really don't want a "used" $2k optic

Reactions: MPrimo
I have a first gen Cronus with the updated parallax knob, so the only difference between my cronus and the BTR is the new reticle (and maybe cleaner clicks on the new one). I have been very happy with mine over the past four montha, and have used it for punching paper out to 500, coyote hunting, and shooting steel out to 1k. The reticle is excellent, I really like the 0.2 wind holds. The turrets are definitely okay, not as good as the gen i razor I sold to get the cronus, but I personally don't care, I look at the turrets when I dial vs just feeling. The glass is quite good, I've looked through mine at stop signs and service doors out to 1800+ and am very happy with the clarity. I've also shot it on steel about 30 minutes after dark without the illumination and it was plenty bright - the illumination is also great btw. I've only done a tracking test on mine through the first 6 mils, but it passed that handily. Overall I couldn't be happier. I have looked through the t5xi before and I really liked the reticle on that as well, but I can't speak to it beyond that. People on here have very strong opinions about that scope, especially before and after some of the issues it had. I have shot other people's Kahles k624i and looked through a couple S&B's and obviously those are going to beat out a 1500 dollar scope on glass, but I think you get a ton for your money with the Cronus (FWIW though I paid 999 during that cabela's close out). Hope that helped.

Reactions: [email protected]
I have the Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 and I have no regrets in the purchase. The glass is good, the turrets are crisp and audible, I liked the SCR reticle YMMV, and the illumination is some of the best I've seen on a riflescope.

There is noticeable CA in the glass if I'm paying attention to it, but it doesn't keep me from hitting targets. I could count tines on whitetail deer last season from about 200 yards and 45 minutes after sunset. Ran it through a tall-target test yesterday (because I was range limited and felt like I needed to do something productive) and the turrets are spot on to 15 mils. By now, I would think everyone has gotten the turret upgrade on their old scopes, but watch for that if you're buying used, just in case. The turrets themselves are slick. I wanted a 10 mil/rev turret when I was shopping around so it would be easy to do math on the second rev, so I was a little apprehensive about the 12 mil/rev turret. They're pretty great. Clicks are crisp (but I could see how they may be too ratchety for some people), there is no extra force required to turn to the second rev, and the number indicator works great! Look at the numbers and that's what you're dialed to. No confusion, no math. Zero stop is easy to set, but does require an allen key (which is supplied). Illumination goes from NV low to nuclear daylight-bright while staying crisp and clean.

Overall, a great scope in my opinion.

I'm really focused on a "new" scope in the $1500 range, but the fact that there are still some S&B PMII with the P4l fine reticle out there for under $2400 in making the choice to pull the trigger on much harder.

I know the answer here is going to be the Cronus or "get a used vortex" I personally really don't want a "used" $2k optic
The nice thing about a used vortex is there's basically no risk because of their warranty.

But of the options I'd go cronus btr. I think I'm gonna grab one for the backup rifle when my Hancock comes in

For the money, Athlon Cronus BTR. Excellent glass and reticle with well implemented additional set of features.

The nice thing about a used vortex is there's basically no risk because of their warranty.

But of the options I'd go cronus btr. I think I'm gonna grab one for the backup rifle when my Hancock comes in

It's not so much the warranty, it's the prospect of potentially buying someone else crap, fake, fraud, bull crap for a lot of money online. I only buy toys I can afford, but this is also stretching that... this is not an an insignificant amout of "toy" money and frankly, I want the "I dont want to have to worry about it, new in the box warranty from a real dealer" expereince. I am not the guy that will have a closet full of $2k optics... I will likely have 1 and I'm going to obsess about it until I'm sure I've picked the right one :)

I literally just had this dilemma for my AR10. FWIW I ended up going with an Athlon Cronus BTR that I purchased from Doug at Camera Land (Hide Vendor) He gave a fairy reasonable price for it. Since im in Arizona and He's in NY, It will probably take about a week to get to me, but Im excited to look through this glass and compare it to a Gen 2 Viper, and a Burris XTR2 (which im assuming the Cronus will blow them out of the water)

Reactions: Tunnuh
We put a Cronus on my buddies M82. I've played with alot of high end scopes, and I couldn't find anything to be unhappy with. I don't think there's anything at the price point that competes.

I’m in the exact same position as you my scope budget went from 1,400 to $1,600 dollars.. I spoke with Doug from Camera land today actually and he named two scopes Steiner T5Xi or Athlon Cronus and offered good pricing! I’m going with the Steiner because it’s just sexy and he had nothing but GOOD to say about it- that’s my $.02

Honestly between the T5Xi and Cronus BTR I would go with whatever reticle you like more. I have owned two of the T5Xi's, and while I would buy them again, my sentiments towards scopes mimic those of what others have said... Save up and get what you really want.

Reactions: waveslayer
I have the Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50 and I have no regrets in the purchase. The glass is good, the turrets are crisp and audible, I liked the SCR reticle YMMV, and the illumination is some of the best I've seen on a riflescope.

There is noticeable CA in the glass if I'm paying attention to it, but it doesn't keep me from hitting targets. I could count tines on whitetail deer last season from about 200 yards and 45 minutes after sunset. Ran it through a tall-target test yesterday (because I was range limited and felt like I needed to do something productive) and the turrets are spot on to 15 mils. By now, I would think everyone has gotten the turret upgrade on their old scopes, but watch for that if you're buying used, just in case. The turrets themselves are slick. I wanted a 10 mil/rev turret when I was shopping around so it would be easy to do math on the second rev, so I was a little apprehensive about the 12 mil/rev turret. They're pretty great. Clicks are crisp (but I could see how they may be too ratchety for some people), there is no extra force required to turn to the second rev, and the number indicator works great! Look at the numbers and that's what you're dialed to. No confusion, no math. Zero stop is easy to set, but does require an allen key (which is supplied). Illumination goes from NV low to nuclear daylight-bright while staying crisp and clean.

Overall, a great scope in my opinion.

I would agree 100%!

I think it comes down to Glass (Cronus) vs Turret (T5Xi) and add in your preference for reticle otherwise it is probably a wash. I am not a christmas tree guy and I enjoy not getting lost in the turrets for T5Xi!

I have only looked through a T5Xi a few times and it’s super nice for sure. I own a Cronus btr which I’m now selling because I am switch to sig. but the Cronus is awesome glass with repeatable turrets. The bang for buck is unbeatable with the Cronus btr. Pm me if you end up wanting a Cronus BTR.

Pick up a used Gen 1 Razor for $1100. I got a new one for $1100 on Ebay not long ago.

Not to derail, but if looking at used T5Xi scopes, what's the rundown on the turret situation? At what point in production did they start shipping with the "fixed" turrets? Will Steiner do the fix if not original purchaser?

Not to derail, but if looking at used T5Xi scopes, what's the rundown on the turret situation? At what point in production did they start shipping with the "fixed" turrets? Will Steiner do the fix if not original purchaser?

The fixed turrets have the Steiner logo on them. Yes they will fix it or ship you a new one if whatever is wrong can't be repaired. The T5Xi is covered by the Heritage Warranty and is transferable.

The fixed turrets have the Steiner logo on them. Yes they will fix it or ship you a new one if whatever is wrong can't be repaired. The T5Xi is covered by the Heritage Warranty and is transferable.
Thanks. Had the idea that they were not the most responsive company, but maybe I'm wrong.

I have 2 T5XI's and I'm happy with both of them. The neighbor bought one for himself after he got to shoot with mine. No problems at all.

Thanks. Had the idea that they were not the most responsive company, but maybe I'm wrong.

I mean it took 2 months for me to get a T5Xi back from them that was sent in with a failed parallax. They finally sent me a new one. I was happy with the CS other than how long it took.

Reactions: Apnea

I mean it took 2 months for me to get a T5Xi back from them that was sent in with a failed parallax. They finally sent me a new one. I was happy with the CS other than how long it took.

Ive seen this parallax issue said before how do you know if it’s failed?