• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Steiner T6Xi 3-18x56 Review and comparison with NF ATACR 4-16x42, S&B US 3-20x50 and March 4.5-28x52

I know the Steiner has great eyebox forgiveness, but can anyone provide experience on eyebox between the Steiner and the NF NX8 2.5-20x50?

This is for a 600-ish yd 556 carbine. I'm leaning NF if eyebox is passable. I have a 4-16x42 ATACR on myLMT, which is amazing, but I'm trying to glass for a bit less ducats.
I have the T6Xi 3-18x56 and a friend has the NX8 2.5-20. I really like his scope, the eye box was much more usable than what i was expecting after reading on here about how tight it was. The reticle thickness was also suitable for the mag range. I think it might be a better scope for the hunting/cross over rifle I’m putting together compared to my T6Xi. But the Steiner has a more forgiving eye box. And it has the MSR2. It’s great for my needs but I wish it was a pound lighter and the illumination was brighter. There’s some dark hollers here.

Reactions: dogman
I have the T6Xi 3-18x56 and a friend has the NX8 2.5-20. I really like his scope, the eye box was much more usable than what i was expecting after reading on here about how tight it was. The reticle thickness was also suitable for the mag range. I think it might be a better scope for the hunting/cross over rifle I’m putting together compared to my T6Xi. But the Steiner has a more forgiving eye box. And it has the MSR2. It’s great for my needs but I wish it was a pound lighter and the illumination was brighter. There’s some dark hollers here.
Eyebox can be pretty subjective and dependent on platform, a lot of shooters aren’t bothered as much as others with finicky eyebox. Saw this a lot with the March 3-24x52, some were really bothered while others had little issue.

Eyebox can be pretty subjective and dependent on platform, a lot of shooters aren’t bothered as much as others with finicky eyebox. Saw this a lot with the March 3-24x52, some were really bothered while others had little issue.
Agreed. A tighter eyebox, or a less forgiving eyebox, however you want to word it, doesn’t mean it’s not enjoyable to use. And it may or may not be noticeable if you just shoot from static positions like a bench. It’s just one metric to compare of many that round out a scope. But I would always opt for a more forgiving eyebox given the choice. Same as a wider field of view, greater depth of field, less CA, less visible eye piece ring border, etc. Some scopes just cause less eye fatigue and easy eye boxes seem to help.

Reactions: Glassaholic
After comparing my s&b 3-20 us, leupold mk5 5-25, razor lht 4.5 22 and atacr 4-16 I have decided to keep the atacr 4-16 and razor lht 4.5-22. I just got rid of the mk5 5-25 and am going to post the s&b 3-20 us up for sale . I think s&b 3-20 is phenomenal and it deserves all the hype it gets.
The glass, fit and finish and overall viewing experience is incredible. The mk5 is good as well but it's just not on the level of the s&b 3-20 . I mainly shoot gas guns, 556 and 308 and I just think the atacr 4-16 works with these platforms the best. As an overall package, turrets, magnification adjustment and size and weight the atacr 4-16 with mil xt reticle is my top choice. The razor lht 4.5-22 for its weight savings, glass charity, reticle and overall features is a good 2nd choice for me when I want to cut down on weight. My only real personal gripe with s&b 3-20 us is that I can't get it with a tree reticle like the mil xt.

After comparing my s&b 3-20 us, leupold mk5 5-25, razor lht 4.5 22 and atacr 4-16 I have decided to keep the atacr 4-16 and razor lht 4.5-22. I just got rid of the mk5 5-25 and am going to post the s&b 3-20 us up for sale . I think s&b 3-20 is phenomenal and it deserves all the hype it gets.
The glass, fit and finish and overall viewing experience is incredible. The mk5 is good as well but it's just not on the level of the s&b 3-20 . I mainly shoot gas guns, 556 and 308 and I just think the atacr 4-16 works with these platforms the best. As an overall package, turrets, magnification adjustment and size and weight the atacr 4-16 with mil xt reticle is my top choice. The razor lht 4.5-22 for its weight savings, glass charity, reticle and overall features is a good 2nd choice for me when I want to cut down on weight. My only real personal gripe with s&b 3-20 us is that I can't get it with a tree reticle like the mil xt.
If Schmidt offers their new TR2ID reticle in the US 3-20 it could re-awaken interest. Also, don’t discount the 5-20 for gas guns, I think 5-20 with offset RDS is a killer combo

Reactions: WILLSMITH030382
@Glassaholic … is there anything new coming out within the next 6mo in this segment.

I’m trying to find the ‘perfect fit me’ MPVO for a hunting rifle that can crossover for range fun. Scoured all the options and I’m leaning towards the ATACR (dislike rotating ocular), also like the TT315M (just not sure I wanna pay the premium and I’m just lukewarm on their reticle), minox ZP5 315 (a bit heavier than ideal). Hate to pull the trigger on something and have regrets if there is something more ideal coming out soon.

Something <30oz, 3/4x on low end 15-20x high end, great glass, smaller size (not too long, lower profile turrets, 50mm or less obj).

@Glassaholic … is there anything new coming out within the next 6mo in this segment.

I’m trying to find the ‘perfect fit me’ MPVO for a hunting rifle that can crossover for range fun. Scoured all the options and I’m leaning towards the ATACR (dislike rotating ocular), also like the TT315M (just not sure I wanna pay the premium and I’m just lukewarm on their reticle), minox ZP5 315 (a bit heavier than ideal). Hate to pull the trigger on something and have regrets if there is something more ideal coming out soon.

Something <30oz, 3/4x on low end 15-20x high end, great glass, smaller size (not too long, lower profile turrets, 50mm or less obj).
Not going to speak for @Glassaholic but Steiner has new 2-12 and 3-18 H6xi optics that you might want to check out. They are currently only available in MOA but Mil variants are supposedly in the works and look like they could be a nice fit on a hunting rifle.

There will always be something just over the horizon. Your best bet is to buy something used that you won't loose much money on of you need to sell.

Steiner say the Mil HX scopes are coming summer but Burris took 3 years to release an illuminated XTR3 which was always coming soon.

I say buy a 4-16x42 ATACR if you like the reticle options.

Not going to speak for @Glassaholic but Steiner has new 2-12 and 3-18 H6xi optics that you might want to check out. They are currently only available in MOA but Mil variants are supposedly in the works and look like they could be a nice fit on a hunting rifle.
I’m liking the specs on the H6Xi….ill do some research on reviews

The new Leupold Mark 7HD 2-14x42, 3-21x44, 4-28x52 and 5-35x56 look interesting but I’m 3 days shy of 04/01 (meaning that is just a joke. There is no Leupold Mark 7 line that I am aware of.)
Seriously, I would not hold out for anything we do not already have available.