• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steiner T6XI 5-30 or Vortex Razor Gen 2 4.5-27?

C G

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2022
Las Vegas
I’m looking for my first scope on Tikka 6.5 CM bolt action rifle. Assuming similar prices which would you recommend or is there any other scope I should be considering with a budget of $2000 or less?

Thanks

Hows the Steiner stack up against the Razor gen 3 6-36? About to order one from Scott at Liberty and can't decide between the two. I have a 6-36 already but the T6Xi is intriguing me. Thanks

Hows the Steiner stack up against the Razor gen 3 6-36? About to order one from Scott at Liberty and can't decide between the two. I have a 6-36 already but the T6Xi is intriguing me. Thanks

I don't have the T6, but I've got an M7xi and can comment on a few things that are common between the two:

- Pro: Steiner optics are great. Very clear glass.
- Pro: the turrets are like winding a fine watch - the tick-tick-tick when you adjust feels oh so nice. Vortex turrets are okay, but Steiner is amazing.
- Con: the higher magnification Steiners have limited max elevation adjustments (26 mil). Depending on what you're using it for, that may or may not be an issue. I wish I had a few more mil on mine.
- Con: the MSR2 reticle is a really cool tactical reticle, but in pure target applications, most of it is just noise. I do use the mini reticle from time to time to measure misses when self-spotting, but you can estimate close enough with the main.
- The MSR2 has a couple different versions, one with a floating dot, one with connected cross. I have, and vastly prefer, the floating dot. I'm not sure what version the MSR2 is with the T6xi, but this PDF shows the cross.
- The SCR2 reticle is interesting, but if you're going for ELR applications, I don't like all the noise under the horizontal. It makes it tougher to self spot at longer ranges. For closer work, I like the reticle. Of course, the Vortex has the same issue with the EBR. I have one on my 6BRA and it's fine for that.

I don't have the T6, but I've got an M7xi and can comment on a few things that are common between the two:

- Pro: Steiner optics are great. Very clear glass.
- Pro: the turrets are like winding a fine watch - the tick-tick-tick when you adjust feels oh so nice. Vortex turrets are okay, but Steiner is amazing.
- Con: the higher magnification Steiners have limited max elevation adjustments (26 mil). Depending on what you're using it for, that may or may not be an issue. I wish I had a few more mil on mine.
- Con: the MSR2 reticle is a really cool tactical reticle, but in pure target applications, most of it is just noise. I do use the mini reticle from time to time to measure misses when self-spotting, but you can estimate close enough with the main.
- The MSR2 has a couple different versions, one with a floating dot, one with connected cross. I have, and vastly prefer, the floating dot. I'm not sure what version the MSR2 is with the T6xi, but this PDF shows the cross.
- The SCR2 reticle is interesting, but if you're going for ELR applications, I don't like all the noise under the horizontal. It makes it tougher to self spot at longer ranges. For closer work, I like the reticle. Of course, the Vortex has the same issue with the EBR. I have one on my 6BRA and it's fine for that.
The MSR has the solid center, the MSR2 uses a floating center dot. Kahles also had a floating dot in their original MSR-K but that was only available in the Kahles scopes.

The MSR has the solid center, the MSR2 uses a floating center dot. Kahles also had a floating dot in their original MSR-K but that was only available in the Kahles scopes.

That's what I thought too, but I keep seeing MSR2s offered on scopes that when you look at the reticles, it's the solid cross.

That's what I thought too, but I keep seeing MSR2s offered on scopes that when you look at the reticles, it's the solid cross.
Must be a typo.... The T6 is only offered with the MSR2 but I see in your link it shows the original MSR design. I can confirm from the T6 I own that it is the MSR2 with floating center dot.

Must be a typo.... The T6 is only offered with the MSR2 but I see in your link it shows the original MSR design. I can confirm from the T6 I own that it is the MSR2 with floating center dot.
I was confused on this two as I’ve seen both in manuals. From pics I’ve seen msr2 will have floating dot and an illuminated cross around that. What do you compare the t6 to? What model do you have? Trying to make a decision between another 6-36 razor or a 3-18 and 5-30 t6

I was confused on this two as I’ve seen both in manuals. From pics I’ve seen msr2 will have floating dot and an illuminated cross around that. What do you compare the t6 to? What model do you have? Trying to make a decision between another 6-36 razor or a 3-18 and 5-30 t6
I've got both the 3-18 and 5-30. I'm not sure what to compare the T6 with, it looks to be based of the Burris XTR Pro glass wise with different turrets. Glass is very good, turrets are very good and tactile with locking mechanism. Turrets are shorter than many other Target/Tactical styles of scopes. Made is the USA so that's always a bonus. I've got some M7's and I would wager the glass is better in the T6. As long as the reticle options work for you its a no brainer for the price.

That being said I've not held a Gen 3 Vortex to compare. By all accounts the glass is reported to be very good but the turrets have been a bit of a fiasco. I'm just not a fan of the Vortex stuff but that is simply personal preference.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Hey I just purchased the 5-30 and have a 20 moa spuhr and a 20 moa base on this rifle, do you think I will have issues zeroing at 100 with this .
Yes. Watch the EGW vids on 20 MOA rails. You will use a lot of elevetion to get a 100 yard zero. Better to go for a 200 yard zero. Which you can do with a near zero around 50 yards.

Hey I just purchased the 5-30 and have a 20 moa spuhr and a 20 moa base on this rifle, do you think I will have issues zeroing at 100 with this .

No you should be fine. The scope has 26 mils so 13 up and 13 down and with 40 MOA that is about 11.6 mils so you should be able to zero at 100 without a problem.