• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stevens 200 and 6.5X55 Swede Help and Questions

HamishTheBlack

Private
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2010
Toronto, ON, Canada
Greetings,

First off, please accept all my questions as someone who knows next to nothing about long range and precision shooting. Almost all my shooting experience has been in the Cowboy Action Shooting ring but I have left that sport and am now interested in getting into the more tactical side of shooting. I plan on getting tactical versions of shotguns, handguns, CQB rifle and long range/precision/sniper rifle. And of course, all with the magical and mysterious phrase "On a budget" LOL!

Through my reading in this forum, it appears that the Stevens 200 is the best (and by that I mean most upgradeable and cheapest) base gun to start with as a project rifle. One of the few non-Cowboy guns I have owned was a Swedish Mauser in 6.5X55 Swede. I truly loved that rifle and at 200yds with iron sights I couldn't miss a 24" circular gong (this may not seem all that amazing to you, but to me it was LOOOOONG RANGE indeed considering the ranges I shot at during Cowboy matches was no more than 30 yards).

Now it may have been the fact I was shooting a full military all wood version that was heavier that I was used to but the recoil was almost nonexistant (I have loaded BP 12ga that kicked a lot harder than it did) and that fact that it is a little bit of an oddball calibre (I have always been attractedd to oddball calibres) makes me want to put together a tactical rifle in this calibre.

Now I know that with the right boltface and barrel you can make a Stevens 200 just about any calibre you want (at least that is what you fine knowledgeable folks have said) but I would like to know if it would be easier to start with a specific calibre that the 200 is available in to make the transition easier.

To answer a few questions that I know may come up, yes, I will be handloading. Yes, I know that sticking with a more standard cartridge will be easier. Yes, I know .223 can do all the things that every long range shooter could want (Thank you Mystic, the article on taking the .223 to a mile was truly amazing!). Yes, I know .308 seems to be the standard among the big boys of the game. And yes, I am aware that building a tacital/long range/precision rifle is a long and somewhat expensive labour of love. No, this will not be a hunting rifle (Unless I can't afford to get another rifle after I am done LOL). Yes, I know that without the proper optics, an accurate rifle means diddly squat.

Any questions that you may have about my intentions for this rifle will be handled courteously and with respect, please treat mine in the same way.

I appreciate all the help you could provide and thank you in advance for reading this long winded post.

With Greatest espect,

Matt

Re: Stevens 200 and 6.5X55 Swede Help and Questions

Get your flame suit on and be prepared for all the savage haters to start lighting you up. I run a Stevens 200 and will never run anything other than a savage built rifle in the future. As far as long range shooting goes here is my advise. Do what I'm planning on doing as soon as I can collect the funds for a new barrel. My current rig is the following.

Stevens 200 in 308
SSS bolt
20 moa base
TPS rings
16x Super Sniper (best scope for the money and fixed power makes ranging targets and accurate rounds so much easier)
B&C stock

What my plans are is go with a Walter 260 remington barrel.

The 260 is a superior round to the 308 in every way but barrel life.

The weaknesses of the 200 are simple: bad stock - needs to be your first upgrade, then trigger (I just have mine adjusted down to 4lbs but I'm used to a heavy trigger), then heavy barrel.

You can see from my sig below though even with these only one of these downfalls corrected on my rig what she is capable with when you work up the right hand load.

I can write you a novel on everything but if you have any more questions PM me. I'll walk you through floating your rear tang on your new stock and everything else you'll need to make your rig shoot as good or better than you can drive it.

Good luck,
Merritt

Beauty of the Savage / Stevens is it's cheap and easy to try new things. If they don't work out, 15 min and you change calibers. Very Accurate rifles, Cheap, EASY and no need to pay a Smith for most mods.

You will need a long action.
30'06 or .270 as they have a standard bolt face.

Just be aware that the true 6.5x55 bolt face is slightly larger, but they usually work as there is always a slop factor. FWIW, US made 6.5x55 is standard bolt face (.473)

I am very pleased with my lothar walther barrel, but any of the top companies like Shilen, Pac-nor and McGowan can turn your barre.

The ols swede is a fantastic cartridge and will easily out perfom the .308 with handloads. Make sure you get a fast enough twist in case you want to shoot the 142 match bullets.

You can reach 1K with the lapua 123 grain scenar.

The intended components for your rifle are not known to me, but I have some comments to the 6,5 x 55:
Congratulations to your caliber choice.

When I started rifle shooting I went for .308
- multi purpose round
- readily avaialbe
- relatively cheap components
BUT it does everything quite not perfect

If I started all over again I would go for 6,5 x 55
- multi purpose round
- great precision potential up to 1000 + meter
- long barrel live compared to "hot" calibers
- I mean really great precision potential due to the nearly perfect ballistic coefficient/ recoil ratio of modern loads
- evcellent brass and ammo from Lapua
- forgiving to reload
-the components might be not so readily available in the USA

For long range and game up to red deer it is a great round.

It is no bear cartridge
It is no benchrest cartridge

It is a workhorse

They have taken many elephants with both the 6.5x55 and the 7x57.

I would forget about 6.5x55 and concentrate on the .308win...

Savage 10FP with pilar bedded synth stock and 24" heavy barrel, new for $589 plus shipping on gunbroker...

Better yet, search for a Winchester 70 Heavy Varmint with H-S Precision stock for about $750 or less if used.

Problem with 6.5x55 factory guns is often the chamber, throated way too long for surplus ammunition which is 160gr/170gr long-assed roundnosed stuff. Kills game, but ain't gonna help you shoot lightweight match bullets with precision...

Would not buy a Stevens basic gun when Savage 10FP in .308 will cost under $600. Maybe you can find a Rem 700 Varmint Special or PSS for about the same $$? Remington is the workhorse tactical platform. You can always get your money out of the gun when you want to sell.

Might look at Tikka. MT Guns can build you a match performing Tikka 595 for about $1500. Wooden stock, true, but they shoot like a Sako TRG 22 or Accuracy Intl rig. Put a Near Mfg base on there and you have a rifle to last you a lifetime. Mel can even supply additional barrels if you want to switchbarrel. Affordable Excellence.

Might even consider a Winchester 70 match rifle in .30-06 to start. Check gunbroker.com. A .30-06 is very effective at longrange. Search for German Salazars articles over at 6mmbr.com to see what he does with his .30-06. Would be easy to switch a 6.5x55 custom barrel in on one of those rigs.

Might even consider the .284 Winchester. Tons of fine 7mm match bullets out there. The 175gr Matchking would shine in a long-action, don't go short-action if you don't have to. The Win Heavy Varmint is superior to the SA 700 because the action is long enough to be modified to allow heavy bullets to be seated much further out than most .308 short-actions, while still being shorter than the win 70 long action. Might be long enough for the 6.5x55; would sure be a great choice for any .284 based cartridge.

The .308win does most everything tolerably well. It ain't a 1000yd ctg without a lot of massaging, but having a long-action to work with gives you more opportunities.

Just some ideas....

If he should shoot long range, there is not much point using lightweight bullets, so as I see it he will likely shoot 130-142 grains bullets anyway.
And why choose a caliber with almost the double winddrift.
A 308 168 gr match round falls 13,3 mils and drives 3,8mils at 1000 meters in elven mile per hours wind, while for factory loaded Norma 6,5 diamondline the numbers are 7,8 and 2,1.

so for the long range shooter the 6,5 have so much more to offer than the .308 or any of the .30 cals that it's amazing it's not a bigger more popular round than it is.

Håkan

For long range you need a high BC, no news here.
You need aprox. a 230 grs bullet in .30 cal to have the same BC as a 140 grs bullet in 6,5. For the same trajectory you need the same V0. So the recoil in a .30 cal rifle is substantially higher to have the same performance as a 6,5 cal.
If you want to hunt at long range, there is no way around a heavy bullet. .30 or more.
To ring the gong, 6,5 is the way to go.
6,5 x 55, or x 47 Lapua or x 284 or.....
that choice is yours to consider

I have bought 2 Stevens 200's in the last 4 weeks, they are great value.

The Lapua 123 grain scenar has a bc of .547, significantly higher than any 168 grain .30 cal match bullet. Yes, I understand that the SMK is not meant for 1K shooting, but the speer and hornady can be used because of the different BT angle.

It was merely an example of what can be accomplished with the 6.5 bullets. It will easily reach 1k with these lightweight bullets, imagine what would be possible with the 139-142 grain bullets.

The OP has already stated that he will reload, and he has already stated that he wants something different. So why do folks keep telling him to buy a .308?
The 6.5x55 is an EXCELLENT choice, they were shooting long range with it 60 years before the .308 was even created. The 6.5x55 outperforms the .308 in every area.

Also consider that 6.5x55 brass is the cheapest brass that Lapua offers. I do believe it is also on sale in Midway right now. Just some food for thought. Also, it is possible to get the heavy 6.5's (I.E. 139-142gr) to around 2950 with the slow powders.

The only "issue" I can see with the 6.5x55 is IF he ends up looking at shooting F Class he's stuck in open.

Other than that one consideration there is nothing wrong with the 6.5x55. It's a good balanced round
smile.gif

Bought a Stevens 200 about 2 months ago, love it. HamishTheBlack, you could go with a 10fp but looking at the cost difference its a no brainer. The Stevens cost me $280, Choate Tactical stock $220 (B&C medalist is about the same cost) and Harris bipod for just under 100 that puts you at the cost for the 10fp or its competitor the Rem 700, stock. The money you save put towards a good scope. I'd say go with the advice Merritt gave you, he's a good guy and won't steer you wrong.

Flyingbullseye

The 9g scenar has a BC at 0,615 hard to beat that with a 308...