• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Stevens 200

RSA

Private
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2011
Ca
I'm new to this forum, joined because I have some queions. I bought a Stevens 200. Can I switch the trigger to an aftermarker Savage 110 triger? Is it possible to make my top loader to magazine fed by using Savage 110 parts?

Re: Stevens 200

Might want to check out the savage shooters website.

I'll take a look at the website.
Do you hve experience with the Stevens 200?

So you just bought the parts and it all went right in?

the steven 200 is a savage, just without the accutrigger or bottom metal and stock options, a rifle basix trigger will go right on, so will any savage stocks, or any savage bottom metal... there are better options than factory savage bottom metal... look at CDI precision

Well I wouldn't say any, because you have to know your spacing on your action screws. If its a long action then your fairly set, but I'd make sure that your parts match your screw spacing to save headaches later. Just measure center to center on your action screws and you have the info. You will also want to know whether you have a center or stagger feed mag system. Again just FYI to help save you tome, money, and grief. Goodluck

the sharp shooter supply bolt knob is also a deal for around $40.00, goes on in like 10 minutes.

30820109JPG.jpg

BEST $300 BUCKS I EVER SPENT, 1ST ROUNDS THROUGH IT THE DAY AFTER I BOUGHT IT....STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

308_TARGET.jpg

30820103JPG.jpg

the factory trigger is adjustable down to about 3lbs, but the rifle basix is worth the money, mine is at .75 lb. no slam fires, saftey works, even dropping the rifle 24 inches on the butt.

trigger adjustments (IF YOU DARE):
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage/
http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIID2a190.html
http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/long_guns/Stevens-Model-200-Rifle178-1.html (scroll sown, good illustration and instruction)

i didn't have to hone mine (when it was the factory trigger), just messing with the screws were enough.

my 200 is a 4.411 mounting bolt spacing, short action .308 or a "quasi" savage model 10.

The trigger seems simple enough. Is there a reason why it so hard to find parts for a savage 110. I went to Savasge arms website and ask for a serial number. Is it a legal reason?

I tried looking around on other sites and searching google but haven't found an answer on making it a detachable magazine.
If it helps my 200 is a 223 center feed top loader.

Savage is kinda wierd about releasing some parts... you keep saying 110... 110s are long actions, your 223 M200 is a short action, so you need parts from a model 10, 12, etc... but it's WAY easier to just add a cdi DBM than to go factory, then add a rifle basix trigger, and a good stock, your action should have the 4.40 screw spacing, you'll need to know that for stocks and DBM

I kept saying 110 bc that what i was reading.
The reason i want to change to magazine is bc the top loader is so sloppy. Anybody else have this problem.

ammo always falls to the side while loading and the top round never feeds properly

no i never had it a part. i believe it stays in the stock

I just rolled my new Mcgowen barrel on my stevens. My build specs are as follows.

Stevens 200
Mcgowen 7mm-08 26" bull barrel with a 1 in 8 twist
SSS bolt handle
RB Sav-1 trigger
EGW 20moa base
TPS low rings
16x SS
B&C Medalist
Bolt lift kit

I'll let ya know how it shoots once I get a load developed for it.

PM me if you have any questions.

Good luck,
Merritt

the magazine doesn't move. feeding the rounds in is sloppy. the rounds get on the side of the mag. i have to tilt the gun to get it to roll to the middle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the magazine doesn't move. feeding the rounds in is sloppy. the rounds get on the side of the mag. i have to tilt the gun to get it to roll to the middle.</div></div>

same here, you just have to get used to pushing down. it's a pain when you forget, but that's the way it is.

i think the answer to your serial number question is that they change the mounting bolt spacing every few years, maybe the serial number thing is to help identify the spacing.

the model 112 i used to have was a long action, but chambered in .223, maybe the serial numbers are to help identify the long action / short cartridge thing.