• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stevens 7mm-08 build FINALLY done

mwroseberry

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2009
urbana, ohio
Well I've been working on this rig for two years now. I've been buying parts as I can afford them and have been waiting on getting this rig complete so I could be more competative in competitions.

Build specs:
Stevens 200 Short action
26" Mcgowen Bull, CM, 7mm-08, 1 in 8, 11degree crown
B&C Medalist
EGW 20MOA base
TPS low rings
16x SS
SSS bolt handle
Rifle Basix Sav-1 set at 1.5#

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a total of 8 rounds down the tube. All that I've put down it was only to form fire the brass. I'm running 150smks over 38gr (just used the thrower because I was form firing so that is +/-0.4gr) of R15. I'm form firing the brass from 308 and I know from experience using the neck coalating die after being form fire yields the best accuracy. I sighted her in using only 3 rounds and then the rest went right where I wanted them.

For comps I will be running the 162 amax or VLDs.

Since it's 20 degrees here I only went out behind the house today and put the target up at 60 yards. I'll be at my long range this weekend (personal 700yrd range).

Here is a 5rd group.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Merritt

Re: Stevens 7mm-08 build FINALLY done

Looks great! Can't wait to shoot it
wink.gif
I'm tied up working the next couple weekends but its the tail end of 2 projects. So I will have plenty of time to shoot when the weather starts breaking.

Looks great, and what a promising performer.

Thanks guys. I think it's going to get a duracoat finish on the action and barrel. Just an OD green. I dinged the action up a bit getting the barrel off because a 300lb gorrila tightened up my barrel nut. We'll see I want to make sure she shoots well and I get a load worked up for competitions so the coating may wait till next winter.

Brett what makes you think I'm going to LET you shoot it.... LOL jk you can shoot it anytime and you need to get out here so we can figure out your land length so you can start reloading both the 175s and the 155s.

Good luck,
Merritt

looks great. can't wait to see the od duracoat, was actually thinking about the od on my bare ss barrel and action.

Is the trigger still factory? Just curious. I pulled the trigger on one in a local gun shop and it was terrible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lovain1932</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the trigger still factory? Just curious. I pulled the trigger on one in a local gun shop and it was terrible. </div></div>

I worked on my factory trigger and got it down to about #4. They are actually very easy to adjust. But no it's got a Rifle basix Sav-1 in it now set at #1.5

Thanks,
Merritt

Nice looking rig Merritt. Look forward to your review on the new barrel, I'm waiting on mine from McGowen so I'm interested in how good it is.

Flyingbullseye

Nice stick!! I love it when an awesome Savage comes together!!

DK

When I see groups posted with a coin I can't help, but wonder .... What's under that coin???
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Glad to see you finally got it together and obviously worked out well. Keep an eye on your RL15 data through the year and seasonal changes. I've found RL 22 and 25 to be temperature sensitive to the tune of 100fps, but I've never used RL15. H4350 is doing good in my 7-08. See you on the range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I see groups posted with a coin I can't help, but wonder .... What's under that coin???
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Glad to see you finally got it together and obviously worked out well. Keep an eye on your RL15 data through the year and seasonal changes. I've found RL 22 and 25 to be temperature sensitive to the tune of 100fps, but I've never used RL15. H4350 is doing good in my 7-08. See you on the range. </div></div>

I'm not using R15 for my competition load. I'm going to be running H4350 with the Amax's. I was just throwing together rounds to get the brass form fired. I got new 308 brass and necked it down so I needed to form fire it so loaded up the 150s and R15. Now that I'm form fired I'm going to neck coalate and start my load development.

I'm EXTREMELY happy with the barrel so far. Like I said it's shooting like this without me taking my time on the rounds. With only 8 rds down the tube and those rounds had a +/- 0.4g on powder and +/- 0.05in in length which is WAY over my normal tolerances for the ammo I make up. Also the BC on the 150g SMKs is 0.429 and the 162 has a BC of 0.620 so I think I may be able to get a group like the one pictured from 200yrds IF all the stars allign and I do my part. Basically this barrel will probably easily outshoot me.

Thanks,
Merritt

MWrose,
How is the fit on the B&C stock? I was thinking of doing a budget build myself on a Stevens 200 action and was wondering. Thinking to build a .260.

SY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SYK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MWrose,
How is the fit on the B&C stock? I was thinking of doing a budget build myself on a Stevens 200 action and was wondering. Thinking to build a .260.

SY </div></div>

Fit is great. I only sanded a little bit on the rear tang and everything fit perfectly other than that. Everything is currently floated even with a full bull barrel. I think you will be happy with the stevens/B&C combo.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Forest12</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice, price put into it all? </div></div>

When you take into account the parts I sold off the origional stevens 200 it comes out to 1250.00 total for the whole thing. I sold the old barrel with some brass with it for 60.00, sold the stock for 40.00 and I traded the origional scope for a box of 175smks.

I think that's a good price for a 1/3moa or better setup :-D.

Good luck,
Merritt

Bullet load out:

162 A-max
46.5gr H4350
308 winchestor brass resized to 7mm-08
Federal Match primer
2.905 OAL
~2700fps

100 yard group and bottom round was my fault (load development group):

162amaxgroup.jpg