• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr Elite 308

g3ninfinite

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2007
Los Angeles County
Been away from bolt guns for the last 2.5 years. Coming off of TRG 22's and Rem700 customs. I have been interested in the Elite since as far back as I can remember. Needless to say I never actually bought one. But now that I'd like to start shooting bolt action rifles again I'm going to pick one up. Not too many reviews stateside but from what I've search in some of the forums from abroad and even though I can't understand the text some of the 300m targets look amazing.

So anyone have any experience with this rifle?

*****Please do not reference the whole Steyr supports terrorists scandal in this thread.*****

http://www.steyrarms.com/nc/news/items/article/another-review-on-a-product/

Re: Steyr Elite 308

I had a Steyr SSG 69 PII that I loved, the only thing I didnt like about the Steyr were the rear locking lugs. I felt it made the bolt "clunky". I wasn't a fan of the plastic used for the magazines and in the mag well area too.

Minor details I know but other than that the rifle shot great, it was fairly light compared to my rifle now. I know the 69 is a older version so I imagine the Elite will at least shoot just as well as my 69.

I would go for an SSG, the Elite/Scout has an aluminum receiver, for .308 bolt I would prefer steel.

I owned a Steyr Tactical Elite in .308 until it was stolen in February of 2008. When I first began shooting the Steyr, it took me a while to get used to the differences between the Tactical Elite and the Remington 700 I had been shooting. Once I got used to shooting the rifle, my average group shrunk to less than 1/2 MOA.

Today I own a Steyr SSG 69 P1 with double set triggers that is in very good condition. Although the SSG is a very nice rifle, it hasn't come close to equaling what I was able to do with the Tactical Elite.

Steyr has kept up with upgrading it's rifles as technology improves. If choosing between the two, I would choose the Steyr Tactical Elite without any hesitation what so ever.

Good shooting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I owned a Steyr Tactical Elite in .308 until it was stolen in February of 2008. When I first began shooting the Steyr, it took me a while to get used to the differences between the Tactical Elite and the Remington 700 I had been shooting. Once I got used to shooting the rifle, my average group shrunk to less than 1/2 MOA.

Today I own a Steyr SSG 69 P1 with double set triggers that is in very good condition. Although the SSG is a very nice rifle, it hasn't come close to equaling what I was able to do with the Tactical Elite.

Steyr has kept up with upgrading it's rifles as technology improves. If choosing between the two, I would choose the Steyr Tactical Elite without any hesitation what so ever.

Good shooting! </div></div>

Ranger thanks for your response. One thing I cant find info on is whether or not the Elite is a 60degree bolt throw. Is it?

it was a triple lug bolt and if memory serves me correctly, it was indeed a 60 degree bolt throw. Also, the bolt / action interface was an amazingly smooth gliding surface.

and also, the stock with magazine extender can hold two 10 round magazines at a time. I'm really beginning to miss that rifle now!
cry.gif

You might try the link below for some additional reviews/support, but the biggest hindrances of the Steyr Elite series rifles from my perspective is the lack of aftermarket support and the inflated price tag compared to other commercially available rifles/platforms capable of similar performance. I have shot the Tactical Elite rifles and they do perform exceptionally well. With factory FGMM 168gr loads, I was easily shooting sub-MOA with the one I got to shoot. The fit and finish were excellent, the trigger was crisp/clean (albeit a little light...the owner's adjustment, not mine), and it had a "good feel" overall. I actually looked into getting one until I saw the $2200-2300 price tag from the 3-4 dealers I checked with and decided the money was better spent toward another custom project. If you search through the Elite Tactical threads on the following forum, I know you'll find the thread I started when I first went looking for one of these rifles. There are some targets posted and some good info from the membership over there.

http://www.steyrclub.com/

BTW: STEYR SUPPORTS TERRORISTS!!! (Sorry, SORRY...I'm just joking, but it had to be said)!!
wink.gif

I have one and have had it since spring. I havent done any long range shhooting with it just 100 yards. I'm using it for hunting. I put a USO sn3-17 on it, I aslso mounted it with a armalite integrated mount. The gun looks exactly like the one in the news article on the steyr website. The bolt + fit and finish are incredible. The stock will adjust to any shooter. The guns I've owned in the past - the triggers were horrible. 2 years ago I bought the new model Luxus and was amazed on what a good trigger was all about, this elite is the same.