• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Steyr SSG 69 w/scope

DurangoAl

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2023
Durango, CO
I inherited a mint Steyr SSG 69 .308 with the original Kahles 6x scope and rings, double trigger. I was hoping to turn it into an elk gun.

It's pretty minty, probably less than a couple of hundreds rounds through it. Original mag and bottom "metal" with no cracks.

Searching the internet, I can find very few for sale and see nothing that comes with the original scope.

Can you guys give me a sense of what the rifle I inherited is worth?

Thank you.

Last edited:
This is dangerously close to a sales ad. Would you care to edit and clarify your post?

Go to an on-line auction site like gunbroker dot com and search for your rifle. It will give you current and completed sales. This will give you an idea of what your gun is worth and how much interest there is in sales. You're probably looking at around $1900. One is listed for $2300, but there are no takers.

Reactions: RTESanteFe
I'm asking people that know these rifles what they think the value is.

Is asking for help in establishing a value a problem?
Asking for help in establishing value is not a problem. But as I said, with all the pictures, it is straying close to someone trying to fish for an offer via PM.
Now I'm not saying that you intended to do that, but it can certainly be read that way. Hence my asking you to edit your post a bit (like removing photos). Still not sure what the "if you like deer/elk gun and/or scope" thing is all about...

Just do me a favor, and edit your post a little to make it clear you are not selling it, just put something like "I'm not selling it right now, just thinking about it and wanted some input on the value". Something that clearly states it is not for sale.

And just so you know, I hate these posts. Mainly because some people are honestly just asking for help, while others are trying to game the site rules. But due to the latter, we have to come down on everyone, or it becomes a free for all, or a "Hey, you let them make a similar post".

And I really don't enjoy banning people. Well, except that other turd who just today had a suicide post for being asked to edit his thread as well. He's the type I don't mind banning at all.

So you've done no homework of your own and just want others to tell you.

No, I'm a researcher by trade, I'm always looking into something. I've searched all the gun sites a lot. Can only find a few examples of the rifle from this period, prices seem to be all over the place, and cannot find a single example of the rifle with the original rings and scope and double trigger.

I posted in this section before and immediately got some great information from people that know this rifle well. I have no experience with the rifle or maker at all, it just fell into my lap, so i posted here thinking it was not unlikely that some of the Steyr fans could hlep me figure out about where the market is for this gun.

No, I'm a researcher by trade, I'm always looking into something. I've searched all the gun sites a lot. Can only find a few examples of the rifle from this period, prices seem to be all over the place, and cannot find a single example of the rifle with the original rings and scope and double trigger.

I posted in this section before and immediately got some great information from people that know this rifle well. I have no experience with the rifle or maker at all, it just fell into my lap, so i posted here thinking it was not unlikely that some of the Steyr fans could hlep me figure out about where the market is for this gun.
I get where you are coming from. That said, the mods have a difficult task at best, and posts like yours make it more so. Your best bet is to search gun broker, guns international, guns america, etc... for completed sales and sort through the results and make an informed decision.

Reactions: apache64pilot
I get where you are coming from. That said, the mods have a difficult task at best, and posts like yours make it more so. Your best bet is to search gun broker, guns international, guns america, etc... for completed sales and sort through the results and make an informed decision.

Thanks, I will keep at it. My Dad gave me the contents of his safe and had some really interesting stuff, Beretta BM 62 and two HK91s. I didn't have trouble figuring out those values, but the Steyr is giving me fits trying to figure out the package.

By the way, the proceeds from the Beretta sale went to my first build of what I hope will be a truly awesome .223 varmint gun: Origin action, criterion barrel, KRG Bravo and Timney 2-stage, dropped it all at the gunsmith today and figured out all the parts mostly from lurking around here, so i really appreciate the community.

Value/ demand might be slightly higher now. Forgotten Weapons and 9 Hole Reviews just did videos on them 2 weeks ago.

I had one years ago and sold it. That was like 30 years ago. I sold mine for $1250. Had 3 magazines and double set triggers and was the original SSG69 in the green colored park / green colored stock with the original Steyr scope rings but no scope.

Last I seen them selling for (about a year to year and half ago) was around $2k give or take some.

It's going to depend on condition, accessories etc....as well as the exact model/variation. On GB right now one has bids up to $1250ish. One is for sale with no bids starting at $1700 and one with no bids at like $2500.

Nice guns but I sold mine because it was time for a new barrel and at the time the only option was to send it back to Steyr. Which the cost was almost as much as a new rifle.

The barrels are press fit into the receiver. Not threaded in.

If I still had it....I'd cut the barrel off just in front of the receiver. Then thread the stub that is still in there so I can install threaded barrels like normal.

Reactions: MarinePMI
If I still had it....I'd cut the barrel off just in front of the receiver. Then thread the stub that is still in there so I can install threaded barrels like normal.
This ^^^

This is what we did for a prototype switch barrel rimfire kit (22WMR/17HMR). Still have most of that rifle laying around somewhere....

Reactions: Frank Green
Do I remember correctly that Guns South (GSI) bought up the last of them, complete with the Kahles scopes and were selling the packages for about $1,600.00 ? What, maybe 15 years ago now ?

I've always wanted one with double set triggers, but the pressed in barrel, oddball/expensive magazines, oddball rings/attachment to the Action, flimsy Bottom "Plastic" and reports of stocks cracking just put me off. If they hadn't have had those problems, I'd probably have one in my safe right now. I could have upgraded my way out of most of those issues, but then the rifle would be a long ways away from Factory stock, which is what I desired.

I had one years ago and sold it. That was like 30 years ago. I sold mine for $1250. Had 3 magazines and double set triggers and was the original SSG69 in the green colored park / green colored stock with the original Steyr scope rings but no scope.

Last I seen them selling for (about a year to year and half ago) was around $2k give or take some.

It's going to depend on condition, accessories etc....as well as the exact model/variation. On GB right now one has bids up to $1250ish. One is for sale with no bids starting at $1700 and one with no bids at like $2500.

Nice guns but I sold mine because it was time for a new barrel and at the time the only option was to send it back to Steyr. Which the cost was almost as much as a new rifle.

The barrels are press fit into the receiver. Not threaded in.

Wow! That info is just in time. When I dropped off the parts for my new build at the gunsmith, I gave him the SSG too because there was some scratching in the chamber (I would guess from my Dad doing some hack cleaning) that is causing extraction issues. I asked him to polish, but will call now to make sure he doesn't try to remove the barrel.

Do I remember correctly that Guns South (GSI) bought up the last of them, complete with the Kahles scopes and were selling the packages for about $1,600.00 ? What, maybe 15 years ago now ?

I've always wanted one with double set triggers, but the pressed in barrel, oddball/expensive magazines, oddball rings/attachment to the Action, flimsy Bottom "Plastic" and reports of stocks cracking just put me off. If they hadn't have had those problems, I'd probably have one in my safe right now. I could have upgraded my way out of most of those issues, but then the rifle would be a long ways away from Factory stock, which is what I desired.
Yeah, Styria makes what's suppose to be really good bottom metal that let's you convert to AICS mag, but it's about a $500 upgrade, which is one of the reasons I decided to stop trying to make this gun work as my elk gun.

Yeah, Styria makes what's suppose to be really good bottom metal that let's you convert to AICS mag, but it's about a $500 upgrade, which is one of the reasons I decided to stop trying to make this gun work as my elk gun.
Yep, I've seen pics, their BM is really nice. The cost is one factor, but I wanted a rifle that was completely stock. Just couldn't ever bring myself to part with the coin.

OP; For what my opinion is worth........Assuming you inherited it and it was at no cost to you, keep it, it's a nice rifle. My guess is that the going rate is probably $1,600.00 - $1,700.00 without optics. Maybe add another $100.00 for the double set trigger, as a novelty, if it has it.

Wow! That info is just in time. When I dropped off the parts for my new build at the gunsmith, I gave him the SSG too because there was some scratching in the chamber (I would guess from my Dad doing some hack cleaning) that is causing extraction issues. I asked him to polish, but will call now to make sure he doesn't try to remove the barrel.
If I recall correctly they warm the receiver and freeze the barrel and then press the barrel in. It's not coming a part easily.

In the UK there are gunsmiths who change barrels in the SSG69. They press out the old barrel and thread the receiver for a new barrel.
Here's a story of a SSG69 in 6.5x47 Lapua. https://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/Steyr SSG69.pdf

I got the same job done privatly in Norway many years ago. A toolmaker, that worked in a shop that made turrets for the Swedish CV90 IFV, made a "die" that fitted the receiver perfectly and the barrel was pushed out in a hydraulic press.

The most fun way of getting the barrel out is to start the process with fitting a suppressor and shoot the rifle hot, and I mean MG hot. The barrel will come loose :cool:

In the UK there are gunsmiths who change barrels in the SSG69. They press out the old barrel and thread the receiver for a new barrel.
Here's a story of a SSG69 in 6.5x47 Lapua. https://www.thamesvalleyguns.co.uk/Steyr SSG69.pdf

I got the same job done privatly in Norway many years ago. A toolmaker, that worked in a shop that made turrets for the Swedish CV90 IFV, made a "die" that fitted the receiver perfectly and the barrel was pushed out in a hydraulic press.

The most fun way of getting the barrel out is to start the process with fitting a suppressor and shoot the rifle hot, and I mean MG hot. The barrel will come loose :cool:
Not to hijack the thread but that's a great article! I've got SSG69s in .308, .243, and .22-250 and they all shoot bloody well but a 6.5x47 Lapua would be something

Not to hijack the thread but that's a great article! I've got SSG69s in .308, .243, and .22-250 and they all shoot bloody well but a 6.5x47 Lapua would be something

This is a really old article, but a good history of the gun, if anyone's interested:

This is a really old article, but a good history of the gun, if anyone's interested:

More like the vintage

Reactions: DurangoAl
I bought my first SSG 69, a P1, in 2000- I knew about it from my Army days 10 years earlier. It came with a silver booklet manual that said to clean the chamber out with a clean rag and a stick. I shot it using the irons and it was a sub-MOA gun. I was sold on it.

I mounted a new scope, and zeroed my buddies .308 for him, which is a styr. I had to use the ammo he provided and wanted to hunt with but for such a light rifle, that thing shot excellent. Cold bore shot and 3 shot group were great. Seems like a nice rifle.