• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Sidearms & Scatterguns STI Edge Review

Texas1911

Private
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2011
Austin, TX
www.texasguntalk.com
1.jpg

http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/handguns-sponsored-kangaroo-carry/25000-sti-edge-2011-2011-a.html

Bought a 2011 for 2011, this is the review.

Re: STI Edge Review

Good review! I went with a bushing barrel Eagle 5.0 in 40 so I could shoot IDPA, but that Edge sure has a following.

Dawson Precision has a "tool-less" guide rod available, it has a "stop" designed into the rod. I've requested one on my Duty One, but it will be a while before I see it, due to the lengthy STI lead times that you mentioned.

Also, I believe that's a 126mm magazine body?

Enjoy it - I've no complaints about my Eagle!

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dawson Precision has a "tool-less" guide rod available, it has a "stop" designed into the rod. I've requested one on my Duty One, but it will be a while before I see it, due to the lengthy STI lead times that you mentioned.</div></div>

I didn't walk into the store to buy the gun and I wasn't even really looking for one at that exact moment. I was there to blow off some steam on the range and relax a bit and I happened to spy it in the case. They had a .40 and a .45 and I decided on the .45 since it was more of a "2011 in 2011" purchase than the gamer's choice for IPSC (although I plan to shoot Limited 10 and Limited with it when I finish my rig).

What's even sweeter is that the gun was well under MSRP. I think they priced it using an older MSRP. It was win:win for sure! No wait, and a good price.

Understood, Tex, I was just indicating that I have a tool-less guide rod on the way, but have never actually seen/used one (yet). Tool-less field strip was a concern for me.

Dawson lists two 45 ACP STI/SV High-cap mags - 126mm that holds 12 rounds and 140mm that holds 14. There are also 170mm tubes for 9mm, 38 Super, and 40 S&W, but they do not list 45 ACP in 170mm tube. The 126 fits flush with the magwell, and since 40 and 45 both use the same grip, I assumed 126 was the shortest length. I'm not sying that there isn't a 120mm 45 ACP tube, but I sure haven't heard of one.

(Edited to add) STI does indeed list 120mm mag bodies, so I learned something today - Thanks!
wink.gif

I'm not trying to be critical - just trying to help.

Cheers,

Bill

It's cool, there's not a whole world of difference between the 120 and 126mm in terms of what they are, but for those that live in tighter controlled states, the 10 round mags allow the guns to be sold.

FWIW, all bull barrels are going to have to run a reverse plug. And I think you'll like the gun a whole lot more with a single recoil spring rather than that setup that is in it (the name escapes me at this time).

I've been wanting one of these in 40 S&W for some time now. Every time I get some $ built up, I end up spending it on another gun...

WRM, the tool-less guide rod works like a charm I think you will be pleased. I put one in my STI a couple years ago and love it.

Texas, I like your review. It seems like most folks put a pic or two of the gun and then type. I like how you used pics followed by a description.

I own two Edges they rock hands down!!

I have a 9mm and a .40 Cal

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, all bull barrels are going to have to run a reverse plug. And I think you'll like the gun a whole lot more with a single recoil spring rather than that setup that is in it (the name escapes me at this time). </div></div>

I think your thinking of the recoil master... the single spring and a one piece guide rod in my opinion is better also....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FWIW, all bull barrels are going to have to run a reverse plug. And I think you'll like the gun a whole lot more with a single recoil spring rather than that setup that is in it (the name escapes me at this time). </div></div>

I think your thinking of the recoil master... the single spring and a one piece guide rod in my opinion is better also....</div></div>

Yeah, I agree, the Recoil Master feels really weird. I'm going to change it out along with the front sight.

I have a Dawson .100" on mine, but I prefer the .090".

Another sight to look at is the Brazos sight... And if your buying a guide rod, buy a tungsten guide rod.. A little extra weight in front..

I've owned 3 edges throughout the years.One full custom limited 38S designed for the American World Shootoff and two slightly modified IPSC guns.Probably 100,000 rounds through them altogether.

As far as I'm concerned no other pistol exists except to be the STI's underling.They are that shooter friendly,accurate and reliable!The few jamms I've had were traced to reloading problems like backwords primers,bulged cases shot in Glocks that got mixed in by accident and the like.

steve123 said "As far as I'm concerned no other pistol exists except to be the STI's underling."

Once you try an SV Infinity and see the difference in build and material quality, you will never want anything else.

The tool - less guide rod is great when you are at a match and want to clean the gun between days - works great. Also, yes - SVI parts are generally better finished and made. Trouble is the only way to get a SVI frame and slide is to buy the gun from them - sound familiar? Surgeon?