• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing STI Trigger

Shrike

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2004
Las Cruces, NM
What brand(s) of flat 1911 triggers do you guys like? I'm thinking about putting one on an STI Trojan 5.0 I'm about to get.

Re: STI Trigger

Try 10-8 performance---Bravo company, and Brownells
Or-Caspian Trik trigger--Midway USA- A friend of mine recommends both of these

I've got SVI/Infinity Triggers in both my IPSC Guns, I'll see if I can get some pics up tonight.

I also have the caspian in a 10mm I built. I'll put that one up too!

I'm a a little prejudiced seeing that I shoot for SV, but if you compare the design and overall manufacturing quality of SV products vs STI, there is no comparison.

The features, tolerances, and reliability all point to SV.

Try it - you'll like it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Infinity Interlocking trigger. Lot's of choices on the insert and looks pretty cool too...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=i...nfinity_trigger </div></div>

Agree, Erik that is what you saw on my 1911 pistols, I will show/explain difference tri-glide/non.

I have a SVI pistol with a long flat STI gunsmith trigger. You can trim it to any angle or length. I've had a few of the first SVI interchangeable triggers, but they came loose at the bow/trigger. The replacement did the same. So I'm kinda partial to the STI trigger. It has the pre-travel and over travel adjustments.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark S</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I like the Infinity Interlocking trigger. Lot's of choices on the insert and looks pretty cool too...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=i...nfinity_trigger </div></div>

Agree, Erik that is what you saw on my 1911 pistols, I will show/explain difference tri-glide/non. </div></div>

Sounds good! Let me know when and where.

MY STI Edge .40 with a SVI/ Infinity curved top insert:
IMG_0443.jpg

My Springfield Loaded .45 with a flat SVI insert:
IMG_0444.jpg

My custom 10mm Caspian (6" Barrel) with a caspian trigger:
IMG_0445.jpg

On a standard 1911 I like the flat trigger the best, but on my custom 10mm and the STI I've altered the grip enough that I'm riding the gun real high and the curved top lets me get a "truer" pull (straight back) the Springfield probably has 20K rounds and has been rebuilt. The STI has had about every part and manufacturer you can imagine in it's life and It's had probably 20K rounds in it too.

The caspian trigger is vertically serrated on the trigger face, and in my experience, it is considerably larger and will require more work to "fit" thats probably the biggest difference between the two. I decided against the triglide, the only difference is that the engagement surfaces of the trigger sear spring, and disconnecter have a ball bearing in them to give less engagement area, I was doing this as all that stuff was coming out and I wasn't sold on the idea, plus I've had all sorts of sears break off, extractors go into orbit, magazine baseplates break shooting 22 rounds and a spring out the bottom etc. when I was shooting competitively and I saw it as just another piece to break off and get hung up in the gun somewhere thus ending a stage/match for me... Murphy's law

They are all good if I could do it over again I'd probably do it the same because I like variety, but I do like the Infinity triggers better than the caspian one, but your mileage may vary.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: toygunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a SVI pistol with a long flat STI gunsmith trigger. You can trim it to any angle or length. I've had a few of the first SVI interchangeable triggers, but they came loose at the bow/trigger. The replacement did the same. So I'm kinda partial to the STI trigger. It has the pre-travel and over travel adjustments. </div></div>
This. The SVI and STI bows are different. Get a gunsmith STI plastic trigger and cut it flat to the length you want. It may not look as cool as the SVI, but it will work reliably.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TTT

Well which one have you decided on? </div></div>

Well, here's what I ended up with:

-STI Trojan .45ACP with 5" fitted bushing barrel
-Smith and Alexander 1pc mag guide/mainspring housing with checkered flat backstrap
-Ed Brown (or wilson combat...can't remember) extended high-ride blued ambi safety
-Ed Brown stainless extended mag release with 40LPI checkering
-Dawson FO front sight
-Inifnity tri glide trigger kit with short flat insert
-ISMI 14# reduced power recoil spring
-Strider Knives G10 Gunner grips

I accidentally ordered the wrong trigger (ordered wide-body SVI/STI trigger) so it's not 100% done yet. I'll post some picks when it's complete. Still waiting on return shipment of trigger and seems my return to them is either lost in the mail or there is some sort of backlog at their receiving dept.

Either way, I think this will be a nice shooting gun.

-Erik

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erik S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aggiesig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TTT

Well which one have you decided on? </div></div>

Well, here's what I ended up with:

-STI Trojan .45ACP with 5" fitted bushing barrel
-Smith and Alexander 1pc mag guide/mainspring housing with checkered flat backstrap
-Ed Brown (or <span style="text-decoration: line-through">wilson combat</span>...can't remember) extended high-ride blued ambi safety
-Ed Brown stainless extended mag release with 40LPI checkering
-Dawson FO front sight
-Inifnity tri glide trigger kit with short flat insert
-ISMI 14# reduced power recoil spring
-Strider Knives G10 Gunner grips

I accidentally ordered the wrong trigger (ordered wide-body SVI/STI trigger) so it's not 100% done yet. I'll post some picks when it's complete. Still waiting on return shipment of trigger and seems my return to them is either lost in the mail or there is some sort of backlog at their receiving dept.

Either way, I think this will be a nice shooting gun.

-Erik </div></div> <span style="text-decoration: line-through"> </span> <span style="text-decoration: line-through"> </span> <span style="text-decoration: line-through"> </span>

I remember which ambi Erik, fixed your post.
wink.gif

Thanks Mark! I played with my gun as long as my wife would let me last night after picking it up. It has such a nice feel in my hand and can't WAIT to shoot it. You did an awesome job on all the mods. THANK YOU! Suprisingly, the factory trigger seems to have broken in alot more since I shot it and isn't too bad! That just makes me even more excited when we get the shipping thing figured out how sweeeeet the Infinity is going to be.

Thanks again! :cheers:
-Erik