• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns STI Trojan range report

RTS

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Just took several of my better 1911s to the range. I'm not good enough for the really high end 1911s yet, but I was amazed at the STI. Had three Sig 1911s, two of which did well. XO did OK. Had 2 Springfield Armory 1911s, a TRP and a Trophy Match with a Jarvis barrel, and the just received STI Trojan. Shot the Sigs first; they did OK. 7 rounds each, guessing 2.5" groups for two and 3.5" with flyer for the XO. Shot the SAs next - normally my Trophy Match is a tack driver, but after shooting it suppressed and not cleaning it for a while, it didn't do very well - probably 3" groups for both that one and the TRP. STI did a nice 8 round jagged hole that was at most 1" center to center. Couldn't replicate that group the rest of the night, but had several that were close and I'd say the average was 1.5". I'd intended to put 100 rounds through each of them, but ended up doing about 250 through the STI just to break her in and decided to head home. What a pistol - just works great for me.

I'd never heard of them before a neighbor let me try his, but it was well worth the $1100ish I spent. Added a couple options - the one that made the most difference was the front fiber optic. Very tiny, really helped bring the aim in.

Took it down last night and it was TIGHT. I'm guessing that's where the accuracy comes from (don't know much about 1911s), but I was impressed today. If you haven't shot one of these, try them out.

Separate question for the experts here - are the Nighthawks and other higher dollar 1911s really worth the money? What are the benefits?

Re: STI Trojan range report

A 1911 is worth whatever it performs like IMO.

So if you got a STI that groups 8 rounds into 1" at 25 yards, (no idea what distance you were shooting), then you have an STI that is probably worth $1600 to someone willing to pay for performance.

I've owned 10 1911's and that's my opinion- accuracy is worth money. There are plenty of 1911's that don't perform, and they are usually cheap pistols that would cost more than Les Baer pistols to modify to shoot properly and to have comparable fit and finish.

Unfortunately, my groups were at 7 yards. Should've mentioned that - got a ways to go.

The STI Trojan is a very good value for the money. I've got one in .40 S&W.

I've owned a few Les Baers, 5 springfields, 1 wilson, and 1 night hawk, and 1 STI Trojan and 1 STI Lawman

Never had a les baer that would run reliably.

Springfields were nice but loosened quickly...hated my TRP.

My Wilson CQB was a beautifull gun but to expensive for me to really play hard with

My Night hawk was just a smidge below my Wilson but still for 2500+ I didn't want to ding and scrape the crap out of it.

I have 15,000+ rounds through my Trojan. I broke an extractor and ejector around 10,000 rounds. Both of which STI replaced for free. I had around 5,000 through my Lawman before I started shooting 2011's without problems.

STI makes a great gun and imho you dont gain much except a nicer finish and some name recognition.

I shot my STI next to a LB 1.5" and at 25 yards no-one I know could shoot the difference.

Get some Tripp Research Kobra Mags and dont look back!

IMG_0190.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've owned a few Les Baers, 5 springfields, 1 wilson, and 1 night hawk, and 1 STI Trojan and 1 STI Lawman

Never had a les baer that would run reliably.

Springfields were nice but loosened quickly...hated my TRP.

My Wilson CQB was a beautifull gun but to expensive for me to really play hard with

My Night hawk was just a smidge below my Wilson but still for 2500+ I didn't want to ding and scrape the crap out of it.

I have 15,000+ rounds through my Trojan. I broke an extractor and ejector around 10,000 rounds. Both of which STI replaced for free. I had around 5,000 through my Lawman before I started shooting 2011's without problems.

STI makes a great gun and imho you dont gain much except a nicer finish and some name recognition.

I shot my STI next to a LB 1.5" and at 25 yards no-one I know could shoot the difference.

Get some Tripp Research Kobra Mags and dont look back!

IMG_0190.jpg

</div></div>
How much did your Trojan set you back?

I think I paid 900 for it brand new a few years ago.

sti kicks ass. we need pics of groups!
smile.gif

I have a trojan, it is the tits. really. I have about 1k rounds through it, zero malfunctions. Great accuracy, awesome pistol. I need to pick up some fiber optics for the front...which ones did you get?

trojan.jpg