• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

stick Custom Stick

blkside

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2009
Lake Elsinore,Ca
Well I have been putting some thought into a custom stick and there are so many that I have an interest in that Im worse off now than when I started.

I am looking for something versatile and durable. Most likely in the .308 Win or .338 Lapua caliber and preferably with a det mag.

Im looking at GAP especially the FBI HRT as well as the Spectre and the Infidel from Underground Skunkworks. There are others I am looking at but am trying to solicit opinions.

The use will vary but mostly LR shooting ...

Re: stick Custom Stick

If you plan on being an ERT sniper buy the .308.

Having said that, Slow down there Tiger. You've got a long way to go and your're putting the cart before the horse. You have to get hired first. Assuming you do that, then you have to make FTEP. Assuming you make that plan on spending at least 3-4 years working patrol. Assuming you do that and don't turn out to be unsuitable and a complete tool you may be invited to test for ERT. Assuming you get invited you have to pass the selection process then you will get to be a rookie perimeter guy for a couple of years, then maybe move to an entry team. Lastly assuming you'd do all that, then maybe you'll get a chance to test for a sniper slot.

So...........buy the .308 and have fun with it. Your future dept. will likely issue you a rifle anyway.

After seeing the fit and finish, I don't think you could go wrong with the GAP. Outstanding quality. Go with the .308 for sure.

No need for 338 if your looking for a goal of becoming swat... no law enforcement agency would ever need such a high caliber round.. some I believe only use 223.. for urban environments there is a concern for over penetration and causing more harm to innocent bystanders.. also I don't know your background in law enforcement or shooting..

It takes years before people make it into swat.. many in my agency took the test 3-4 times before getting picked up.. not because of the physical test but because of the interview process. They expect a mature, confident, and intelligent officer.

338 lapua is not a training caliber. It's built more for an experienced shooter and of course longer distances. 308 is more than enough to get you the training you need and the distance.

Good luck buddy, I personally like the Infidel rifles.. never got to see one or shoot one, but would love to have one!!

Appreciate the comments. I have a hobbyist built .308 Howa but while I am deployed and making good money want to invest in a custom stick now. Its not just to get picked up by SWAT/HRT but for LR shooting also. I just dont want to buy a piece thats "good enough" for LR shooting but not work duty. I do like the GAP pieces and have been in contact with them.
Just looking for the thoughts on the values of one over the other..

Thanks guys

I like the GAP Gladius! Looks like you could get the FBI/HTR right now though! Check the classifieds too, always good deals there...

I'm not sure where you got this preconceived notion that a "duty" gun is some crazy awesome high end gun. I know many LEOs (some on SWAT) and every single "sniper" has a plain ole Remington 700 .308. Due to liabilities, each of the "snipers" are only allowed to use an issued rifle. I'd be very surprised if the entire gun (including glass) cost more than $1000.

All I am asking if there are preferences to custom guns. Thats it. Im not looking for career advice just if there are any prefences to shops work. Thanks, this is like asking about a sports car... "youll never need a car that goes 140 so why buy it"

Hey guys leave him alone...He's just looking for an excuse to buy a bad ass rifle...let him do it!!! lol

Well thats part of the reason but I mainly dont like to a piece of crap and then repeatedly have to upgrade. You dont buy a vega to build a vette. I have other rifles and will continue to buy more but I do want something that "if allowed to" could carry into the work field. Thanks...

I say get after it...if it's GAP it will be an investment on top of everything else.

Anybody own an FBI HRT.. thats been at the top of my list for a bit. But like I said I am doing a bunch of research and asking before I purchase...

I just bought a crusader, it's basically the same gun as the FBI hrt except no surefire or fully adjustable A3-5. But the Templar action is amazing and if the hrt shoots as well as the crusader (and I'm sure it does) you will love it.

You need to stop, think about what you think is necessary for a rifle and then go from there. You need to design your rifle built on your needs/wants. One mans dream girl is another mans wench. Ask questions like this. 1)Is size a concern? If it isn't I might be able to get a longer barrel. If it is a concern then I should scale the barrel length down. 2)Am I really going to use/need a suppressor? If not than standard barrel. If so then will I opt for a threaded barrel or disconnect type system. 3)Do I need a faster twist to stabilize heavier bullets? Etc.......... Make a question answer sheet and develop your build from there. That is what experienced, intelligent shooters do. Experienced people build out of necessity, not "tacti-cool" look at me range shots. Remember sometimes more is just that, more!
IMGP5721.jpg

Rem 700 short action 308 by GAP- why? They were close and they are one of the premier shops for build quality
1/10" twist-why? I use a variety ofheavy rounds
M5 mag system- why? sometimes I might need to switch bullet types asap and reloading is quicker
threaded barrel- When I use a suppressor, I prefer thread on type suppressors
EFR- I use night vision systems
Hensoldt 4-16 FFP- Why? I use holdover alot, I like the low 4 and never find myself going above 14 or 16 even when I was a USO with 17
BAdger steel rings not alloy- Even though they weigh more, I prefer the strength and ruggedness that steel affords
Harris BR-s w/podlock- Why? I find swivel models priceless and when I shoot prone of my bipods, I like to get as low as possible
Also everything is Badger Ord- why? Marty is a stand up guy and has donated a lot of equipment to soldiers without asking for anything in return. Also his shop is colocated at GAPs shop so logistically it makes sense. If GAP's smith has a problem with a part, they can walk down the hall. They don't have to play phone tag or wait on mail

Thats very useful. Believe me I am far from going "tacti-cool", but its hard to get away from it once you start looking at a custom piece. My rifle now is a Howa 1500 in .308 with a bedded B&C Tactical Medalist and a Harris Bipod. Still have the Cheap Factory Glass but I dont want to invest too much in this piece as I want to start with a Rem 700P to have built up but I still want that Custom Piece. Its one of those things that I have to have. I have plenty of guns so the cool factor isnt it. Some guys buy a GT and mod it and some guys get a GT500.. I want both and can never have enough guns. But I want to have one that is dead on accurate and reliable out of the box. If you were gonna buy one.. what would it be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need for 338 if your looking for a goal of becoming swat... no law enforcement agency would ever need such a high caliber round.. some I believe only use 223.. for urban environments there is a concern for over penetration and causing more harm to innocent bystanders.. </div></div>

I respectfully disagree with your statement.

While I have never built a .338LM for an individual officer to use on duty, I have built some for L.E.Agencies. Most of these agencies were looking for a specialty tool that would defeat laminated glass, heavy plastics/Lexan and other barrier material without going to a 50cal. A small handful of others have purchased because they shared jurisdiction over air field real estate or large industrial N/B/C operations. A huge plus on most .338 setups is that they can be configured with same stock and action type as the primary (.308) rifles which helps a ton on training.

Remember that there are a lot of different L.E. agencies and all have different needs and A.O.s

As far as the ones using only 223s, I can assure you that they will loathe the day that decision was made if they ever have to reach past some glass into a car or room. There are other answers to low penetration scenarios like RUAG Styx .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uscgbeachbum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not sure where you got this preconceived notion that a "duty" gun is some crazy awesome high end gun. I know many LEOs (some on SWAT) and every single "sniper" has a plain ole Remington 700 .308. Due to liabilities, each of the "snipers" are only allowed to use an issued rifle. I'd be very surprised if the entire gun (including glass) cost more than $1000. </div></div>

I agree with you that most duty needs could be met with out of the box rifle and scope.

However, I can assure you that there is a large and growing pool of agency purchased custom sniper systems across the country. Ask any of the more established shops on this board and you may find that over 50% of their output is going straight to agency P.O.s. Mine is around 70%.

Also note that while the "snipers" that you know may not be allowed to use personally owned equipment, I know of a ton that can and do use personally built rifles for duty use with no liability worries beyond the normal "lethal force" issues. Usually personally owned rifles to need to meet some type of guidelines on caliber, action type, trigger weight, etc. and you would obviously have to meet pass normal quals with the equipment. Your employer will make the call on that and it will be in writing somewhere on their SOP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blkside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody own an FBI HRT.. thats been at the top of my list for a bit. But like I said I am doing a bunch of research and asking before I purchase... </div></div>
I had an HS precision HRT rifle for 2 days, I picked it up used from a Tacitcool gun store, like new for $2500. It wouldn't hold a group better than my 5R milspec. I took it back the next day with my Crono data and targets for a full refund. The ownder told me it was a trade-in, I have a good idea why it was traded in.
I recently picked up a Sako TRG22, and have very pleased with it, it is worth a look.
SScott

The 338LM is awesome, but you have to consider where you live. If you don't have access to 2000+ yard ranges, why not go with the 308, save money on the rifle/ammo, and still have the ability to reach out to 1000 if you wanted?

I agree with the above statement. If you are looking to shoot out to 800yds to 1000yds .308 is your ticket, low cost rounds (proportionally) -- however after 900 yards .308 gets a little squirly. .338 is a great round but its true potential is at around 1500 yards to 2000,(very expensive round). If you really want to punch something out there ... then go for the gold Cheytac .408, and you will need gold to buy it at $11,000.

The Cheytac .408 is a little much for what I want it for. The .338 was at the high end of the spectrum. Im a fan of interchangeability so the .308 will most likely be my choice seeing I already have one and am sure to buy others. I have .223 as well but just wont get out there like I want. Thanks for the input.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Terry Cross</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koobs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No need for 338 if your looking for a goal of becoming swat... no law enforcement agency would ever need such a high caliber round.. some I believe only use 223.. for urban environments there is a concern for over penetration and causing more harm to innocent bystanders.. </div></div>

I respectfully disagree with your statement.

While I have never built a .338LM for an individual officer to use on duty, I have built some for L.E.Agencies. Most of these agencies were looking for a specialty tool that would defeat laminated glass, heavy plastics/Lexan and other barrier material without going to a 50cal. A small handful of others have purchased because they shared jurisdiction over air field real estate or large industrial N/B/C operations. A huge plus on most .338 setups is that they can be configured with same stock and action type as the primary (.308) rifles which helps a ton on training.

Remember that there are a lot of different L.E. agencies and all have different needs and A.O.s

As far as the ones using only 223s, I can assure you that they will loathe the day that decision was made if they ever have to reach past some glass into a car or room. There are other answers to low penetration scenarios like RUAG Styx .308. </div></div>

Cool.. Did not know that about the 338s. Thanks for the info!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blkside</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thats very useful. Believe me I am far from going "tacti-cool", but its hard to get away from it once you start looking at a custom piece. My rifle now is a Howa 1500 in .308 with a bedded B&C Tactical Medalist and a Harris Bipod. Still have the Cheap Factory Glass but I dont want to invest too much in this piece as I want to start with a Rem 700P to have built up but I still want that Custom Piece. Its one of those things that I have to have. I have plenty of guns so the cool factor isnt it. Some guys buy a GT and mod it and some guys get a GT500.. I want both and can never have enough guns. But I want to have one that is dead on accurate and reliable out of the box. If you were gonna buy one.. what would it be. </div></div>I think I would put some good glass on that Howa and srr what it is capable of. I guarantee it will do everything you can do and better

If you are going to spend the money for a .308 may I recomend Tactical Rifles. I ordered one last year and it is absolutly beautiful-- it is a tac driver .... at 100yds I am shooting 1/4 groups and not just onece or twice ... but consistantly ... of course some days I am just off, but that is me. When I went to Gunsite I was shooting out at 800yds at a 18 inch target and hitting darn close to center. you can find them at www.tacticalrifles.net they are worth every penny in my opinion. David who runs the company is a no nonsense guy ... he will tell you like it is... good luck to you.