• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing sticky AR15 firing pin

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
Pacific Northwest,USA
The other day I was cleaning and lubing an AR15 and noticed that the firing pin is a bit sticky in the bolt. With very little pressure it will pop out of the firing pin hole as firing pins do on other AR15's. Does this mean I need a new firing pin, new bolt, is this within normal "specs"? When looking at the pin through a 10x magnifying glass, I can see a little teeny burr at the base of where the firing pin begins it's concave curve from the cylindrical portion of the shaft to the rounded end that meets the primer. I have removed most of this burr with 600 grit paper, but don't know if I should continue to polish the burr completely off, or just get new part/s.

The last thing I want is to end up with the firing pin stuck forward resulting in a rifle that fires as soon as the round chambers..sort of like in a Sterling..

I worked the burr over some more with some 600 grit paper rolled around a toothpick file, and eventually got rid of all of the burr..now there is no sticking.