• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sticky bolt and over pressure sign?

ejd049

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2007
Ft Worth, Texas
When I load a round it the chamber some seem to be smother than others? Some rounds seem to make the bolt a little sticky when chambering a round. What would be the cause of this?
I am using once fired brass with a 168gr AMax set to 2.80.

Also, what are some signs of over pressure in the case? I have loaded from 41.7 to 43.0 in Varget for a .308 160gr.
Pics would be cool!!!!

Thanks

Re: Sticky bolt and over pressure sign?

It feels sticky when you chamber the round? Screw your resizing die in a skooch more.

Also if the resizing die you are using has an expander bal make sure you get enough lube inside the case neck. I have seen cases where not enough lube and the expander ball stretches the neck and shoulder out making it hard to chamber.

+1...

What they said above.

Neck sizing also does this. If you are neck sizing, it's time to bump the shoulds back. That's one reason I full length size everything now.

Make certain your case length is within trim at/trim-to specs. If the case mouth is binding in the chamber, pressure spikes and bolt drag on closure could result. This is the only cause I have ever personally witnessed that could be definitely traced when a gun blew up.

Greg

Most of them are between 2.010 and 2.018. What would be the max length to be safe?

id trim them to 2.010 and you should be fine, but the length isnt what is making them feel "sticky" its the fact that the shoulders need to be bumped back some. Id screw your FL sizer in the press some more and size the brass that feels the "stickiest" and then continue adjusting the die till that piece chambers with ease

Well, I think maybe the old dog learned a new trick.
I have a Mauser action barreled with a Douglas barrel, chambered in 35 Whelen. Tight chamber.
I had been neck sizing only. I gather that the shoulder can move out to the point that the round may chamber a little bit hard, and the bolt be VERY difficult to open. This is happening to me, even with low pressure loads. Would I be correct in assuming that FL resizing could cure that problem?

Yes you need to run it through a fl sizing die or a body die set to bump the shpulder back .002-3"

Thanks for all the info!!!
I think I messed up on the die set up. I had the die set to far down. I ended up sitting back and reread the instructions. I started another batch and they work good!!! Now I need a bullet puller to salvage 25 bullets and some powder.