• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stiff primers in SR lapua brass

duck1911

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2018
Colorado
This is my first time loading this new unfired Lapua SRP brass with Fed 205MAR primers. I’m having to force the primers in with a hand priming tool. I’m putting so much force that the primer is deforming and flattening as it’s pressed in. This is the first time this is happening for me. Do you guys know the cause and solution? Are the primers too hard? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• F7FCEB1F-0E67-48BB-85DB-96E50656BA79.jpeg
    F7FCEB1F-0E67-48BB-85DB-96E50656BA79.jpeg
    362.3 KB · Views: 39
Federal primers have a reputation for being on the large end of spec. That being said, I am using the same primers in my Lapua 6.5 brass without issue. I have 8 firings on it and used CCI 400 for the first 5-6, however.

Federal primers have a reputation for being on the large end of spec. That being said, I am using the same primers in my Lapua 6.5 brass without issue. I have 8 firings on it and used CCI 400 for the first 5-6, however.
I didn’t realize they were on the large end of spec. With it being a harder AR primer I bet that’s my problem. The only other problem is I don’t have many non AR SRP.

I’ve experienced something similar with Lapua brass and federal 205m’s. They were very tight going in and the force required to seat them resulted in flat primers before I’d even shot them. Decided I’d only use cci with new and few fired lapua. I may revisit federal after 5+ firings

Reactions: duck1911
This is my first time loading this new unfired Lapua SRP brass with Fed 205MAR primers. I’m having to force the primers in with a hand priming tool. I’m putting so much force that the primer is deforming and flattening as it’s pressed in. This is the first time this is happening for me. Do you guys know the cause and solution? Are the primers too hard? Thanks in advance.

I use the same primers and brass for my 6.5 Creedmoor and they go in firm (haven’t had one go in such that it deformed yet).

I start seating the primers with my hand priming tool than fully seat on the Forster CoAx.

Maybe measure a few your primers’ diameter and that of the primer pocket on your Lapua brass and post the measurements. I’ll measure mine and compare them when I get home later today.

I use the same primers and brass for my 6.5 Creedmoor and they go in firm (haven’t had one go in such that it deformed yet).

I start seating the primers with my hand priming tool than fully seat on the Forster CoAx.

Maybe measure a few your primers’ diameter and that of the primer pocket on your Lapua brass and post the measurements. I’ll measure mine and compare them when I get home later today.
I won’t be able to compare until this weekend. The brass is at my house and I work a couple of hours from home.