• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Still need help rehoming my wolfdog Nikita

Maggot

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood"
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 27, 2007
    Virginia
    The Continuing Saga of Nikita and Cloud:

Got contacted here by a member who turned me on to his buddy in Cleveland. Took them up there and while Brad is a great guy (more on that later) I kind of knew it wasnt a good fit, but I hadnt slept very well for a couple days feeling sick about losing me best friends so I let them stay. Nikita is definitely an Alpha female and got into a scrap with his shepherd the second night. He separated them into different rooms and during the night (Monday) somehow they got a window open and got out. We were sick figuring they'd get hit on the road. That afternoon (Tuesday) I get a call from an animal shelter in Detroit 200+ miles away and they've got Cloud...found me by her microchip...but no Nikita. Brad drives to Detroit and picks up Cloud, and I dedcided I can keep her so we meet half way and I bring her home to Virginia. Thursday, the same shelter calls and they've got Nikita. We figure they must have gotten to a restaurant or something on the interstate by his home and hopped into someone's car. They put them in a back yard in Detroit and over the fence they went...they can clear 7' easily. Brad drives back to Detroit and gets Nikita. How many people do you know that would go to all that trouble for animals they've only had for a couple days. Damn fine man, he is.

All seems well...until...Christmas Day night, while he's out with family someone breaks into several homes in the area, his is one, and Nikita is out again. We got the local Pet Trackers on it, lots of sightings but no one could catch her. finally, last Friday, they got her and she's safe with Brad again, but he just doesnt have the right place for her, and she doesnt get along with his girl.

I love her, and would love to have her back, but if she gets out again and chews up another dog (4 so far), or a kid tried to separate them and got bit, I could lose my home in a lawsuit and she could be seized and put down. Shes the sweetest thing with people, everybody loves her, and great with children, but she's just the Alpha female and very territorial.

You'd need a large high fenced yard with turn ins, or a large kennel, and preferably experience with this type of WD. If youve got those and the desire, she'll make you a fast friend for a few more year. I sure could use some more help asap because Brad cant keep her. If I bring her home Ill have to keep her tied all te time and thats no quality of life for an animal like her, she needs to run. Ill guarantee you there wont be any coyotes around if shes there., she kills them on sight.

Shes the tan one with black saddle. Cloud is her 5 year old daughter, born at the foot of my bed Christmas day.

Pm me if you can help.

Attachments

• IMG_7509.JPG
      IMG_7509.JPG
      347 KB · Views: 355
    • IMG_7525.JPG
      IMG_7525.JPG
      512.3 KB · Views: 357
    Bumpster..

Someone out there needs a best friend.

Good looking pups. Wish I needed any more animals, cause a big dog is on my list of next.

My family has one, sweetheart, but in many ways more like a cat than a domestic dog, if she gets out it’ll be a couple days before you see her again.

Ether way, good luck finding a good home :)

My family has one, sweetheart, but in many ways more like a cat than a domestic dog, if she gets out it’ll be a couple days before you see her again.

Ether way, good luck finding a good home :)
    So you know.

They look like dogs ...but...

Mine at least come home for supper.

Reactions: TurboTrout
    Didn't see it mentioned, but there are specific wolf dog sanctuaries in GA and FL. Those potential COAs?

Didn't see it mentioned, but there are specific wolf dog sanctuaries in GA and FL. Those potential COAs?
    Ive been in touch with many, and people who specialize in rehoming WD's. They all are full or have long waiting lists. These critters can clear a 6' fence with no problem. My fences are 7' with 16" turn ins. As far as S&R if you could train one, their senses dwarf a malinios. but theyre much to independent and strong willed Much stronger than a dog of comparable size. You need to know what your doing. Cloud, the black one, is 75lbs and can drag me all over the yard when she decides to. Ill see if I can get a video of her .

Ive been in touch with many, and people who specialize in rehoming WD's. They all are full or have long waiting lists. These critters can clear a 6' fence with no problem. My fences are 7' with 16" turn ins. As far as S&R if you could train one, their senses dwarf a malinios. but theyre much to independent and strong willed Much stronger than a dog of comparable size. You need to know what your doing. Cloud, the black one, is 75lbs and can drag me all over the yard when she decides to. Ill see if I can get a video of her .

Gotcha, i figured you had already explored but thought i'd offer.

Wish I could help, so tough.

Those are lovely dogs!

I am sure there is someone that could give a good home? What about Frank? I mean from the sounds of it, it sounds like he could probably ride one instead of using a car.

Try Matthew Simmons at

Wow, thanks. In Kalispell. Ive been up in that country logging. Gorgeous but way too cold for this southern redneck. Nikita would love it, she suffers in the heat but loves to lay in the snow. Ill give them a shout in the AM.

i’ve got one, but you are not going like it.

when you own a certain type of animal, you take on a responsibility. to the animal, to your family, and your community. and if it gets to the point it becomes a menace, you have a responsibility to deal with it to ENSURE no one else gets hurt. to me, rehoming is just pushing your problem on someone else and letting them deal with the consequences.

my favorite dog was a rottweiler bitch that i raised from a pup. she was incredible and the best dog. 8 years later, she started showing signs that all wasnt right. i kept a really close eye on her. one day, my boy went teetering by and she gave him the look. i snatched him up. went and got some cheese burgers for my dog, then came back and did what a responsible owner does.

it sucked. and i miss her. but i KNOW that no one was going to get hurt.

Reactions: XP1K and coachtech

when you own a certain type of animal, you take on a responsibility. to the animal, to your family, and your community. and if it gets to the point it becomes a menace, you have a responsibility to deal with it to ENSURE no one else gets hurt. to me, rehoming is just pushing your problem on someone else and letting them deal with the consequences.

my favorite dog was a rottweiler bitch that i raised from a pup. she was incredible and the best dog. 8 years later, she started showing signs that all wasnt right. i kept a really close eye on her. one day, my boy went teetering by and she gave him the look. i snatched him up. went and got some cheese burgers for my dog, then came back and did what a responsible owner does.

Maggot, don't be a faggot. You made some stupid decisions, own it.
    I own my decisions.

I agree, I dont like your solution but Ive given hard thought to putting her down. I'm just hoping for an alternative. Rehoming isnt what you said. There are many rescues that deal with this, but they're mostly all full.

The trouble is for me, that she is great with people and kids, its a Alpha female dominance thing with other critters. NOt all are like that.

Ive tried to find Vets with PTSD thinking she'd make a great companion for someone. With this type its about controlling the territory because of food resources. One thing I've learned is that I'll never let her daughter have pups, there are too many now.

Regardless, I will have to resolve it soon.

As much as you hate it, put her down. If you were to ever find out she hurt somebody, you'd feel more terrible than putting her down. 1/2 wolf is not a domestic dog and can only be successfully re-homed to a very special family who know how to manage her and can take her on. Those families are far and few between. I helped a woman work with a re-homed 1/2 wolf and, while all dogs are individuals, this dog did not respond like all the other dogs in the class and I worried he would hurt her either intentionally or unintentionally due to his size.

• Sad
    Reactions: TurboTrout
    I own my decisions.

I agree, I dont like your solution but Ive given hard thought to putting her down. I'm just hoping for an alternative. Rehoming isnt what you said. There are many rescues that deal with this, but they're mostly all full.

The trouble is for me, that she is great with people and kids, its a Alpha female dominance thing with other critters. NOt all are like that.

Ive tried to find Vets with PTSD thinking she'd make a great companion for someone. With this type its about controlling the territory because of food resources. One thing I've learned is that I'll never let her daughter have pups, there are too many now.

Regardless, I will have to resolve it soon.
    they are not wrong nor are you, is what it is

there are 2 places in NJ that take wolf dogs

howlingwoods has the wolf dog used in movies

tough call but probably the right one as only you know the dog well enough to know. I commend your strength here, not many have that fortitude

Reactions: Maggot
    Lot of good leads here, thanks. all. Ill be busy tomorrow exhausting all possibilities.

Some of the rescues I checked are maxed not by space but by financial resources: if LL approved would anyone be interested in putting a small pot together for donation to 501.3c foundation?

If there is a financial solution to this problem I would be willing to help Howard out with it.

I like the Kalispell MT solution too ... right next to Glacier National and the Bob Marshall Wilderness.

As much as you hate it, put her down. If you were to ever find out she hurt somebody, you'd feel more terrible than putting her down. 1/2 wolf is not a domestic dog and can only be successfully re-homed to a very special family who know how to manage her and can take her on. Those families are far and few between. I helped a woman work with a re-homed 1/2 wolf and, while all dogs are individuals, this dog did not respond like all the other dogs in the class and I worried he would hurt her either intentionally or unintentionally due to his size.

No.

My family has one, she’s got to be 10yrs old, VERY nice to other humans and dogs, never been in a fight, in fact she would make a very bad guard dog, as would most hybrids for their LACK of confrontation in a stranger on property situation.

Outside of a mole or mouse, she’s more likely to lick than bite by multiples, I’d sooner approach or have my family around someone’s wolf dog than a GSD. The biggest threat to humans most of these hybrids show is they are kinda car stupid if they get out and go roaming around

Let's get these dogs a new home. What dollar amount do we need to raise to get these family members where they need to be? I'll donate 500 Berger 109's to the cause and do whatever else needs to be done. Snipershide is a community first, website second. Communities take care of their own. Please help!

Let's get these dogs a new home. What dollar amount do we need to raise to get these family members where they need to be? I'll donate 500 Berger 109's to the cause and do whatever else needs to be done. Snipershide is a community first, website second. Communities take care of their own. Please help!
    Thank you (and others) so much for your generous offers. I found a great home for the daughter with two boyfriends. She seems really happy.

I dodnt think its really a matter of $$$, there just arent many or any openings in rescues and shelters. And no body wants an old dog because puppies are se damn cute.

Hopefully I can find Nikita a new place, as they are very pack/family and I see her getting down from being without a 4 legged companion. If not when I move she will get a new start and Ill build a more secure place for her. But a good home with some kids and some other male dogs would be best. I would trust her 100% with children, especially if they give good belly rubs.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Baron23
    I'd take an older dog in a heartbeat, and have 1/2 acre fenced yard.

I've been tempted and looking at shelters since Nova died before Christmas, but the biggest problem is both my ex and ex-BIL - who would watch them when I'm away - live in the woods. My two boxers grew up with those environments, and never strayed. A new, older dog might not stay "close"..

My daughter's wonderful rescue dog wandered a little too far and got run over on Christmas Eve, 2020.

Let them go free in wolf territory?
    I thought of that, sounds like a good idea but she's old and only about 35% wolf so the wild ones would kill her. If they didnt animals usually would live as long as she has in the wild.

As a fellow wolf hybrid owner it is a struggle, the best thing I did was training chase as a pup and be diligent in making him around other dogs all the time. It is in their nature, and on a walk he will run to make sure he is in the lead if anyone tries to get in front of him lol.
    IMG_20200530_175734.jpg

You might try here.
    Really devoted to rescuing and finding a good home.