• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stiller Predator VS. Surgeon actions?

bruno86

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
Hick Town PA
I would like to know the reason why you would go with either action, pros and cons of both. Im going to build off one and i'm still unsure which. The caliber will more than likely be a 260AI.

Re: Stiller Predator VS. Surgeon actions?

Surgeon.
I've had both and the Surgeon just has an overall better feel to it. The bolt operation was smoother and a better fit. The biggest pro I can think of is maker. Don't get me wrong, not saying Stiller is bad, just that any time I ever had dealings with anyone at Surgeon they were over the top responsive and nice to boot.
I see that some have had bolt handle issues with Stillers but I think they are now one piece (IRRC).

No offense, but use the search function to search the topic. You will be able to find loads of info without having to wait for anyone to respond to this thread.

I chose Surgeon based on my searchs. Good luck and let us know what ya get
smile.gif

I have both, and I like both of them.

I've used both. I would have no issue using either one again. It would likely just cme down to if the customer had a definate preference, budget, and which one was available soonest. Both are very slick actions, and shoot well. I do wish Surgeon used the AR type extractor like is found on the stiller.

Pusher591 said:
No offense, but use the search function to search the topic. You will be able to find loads of info without having to wait for anyone to respond to this thread.

I tried the advanced search on both actions with limited info comparing the two before I posted.

The surgeon has a better feel to it. That, coupled with the integral rail and recoil lug makes it an easy decision.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bruno86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Pusher591 said:

I tried the advanced search on both actions with limited info comparing the two before I posted. </div></div>

I wasn't giving you a hard time just trying to help you find your answers faster. Try the 'Snipershide google search engine' beneath the Shout Box.
Thats what I always try to use.

I cant compare but I chose Surgeon becuase of their reputation and when I received my action I loved it. It feels very solid. My rifle should be done this week so I will let you know what I think of it and how it shoots.

<span style="font-size: 17pt"><span style="color: #3333FF">Here is the offspring of crossing a Stiller with a Surgeon</span>.
</span>
IMG_3173.jpg

What a dilema to be in!
Kinda like having to choose between Ann Margret or Raquel Welch.
Fuck the search engine!

I can only comment on surgeon actions, and I really like the one that I use.

I'm having a 260 built and I went with Surgeon. Planning on a 338 Edge build later on that will also use a Surgeon action.

I've had several sugeon's and I wont go anywhere else..

The only custom action I have is a Stiller, so I can't compare it to others, but I really like mine. Smooth as glass and works flawlessly, no complaints at all.

They are all going to be a big step up from factory stuff.

Don't forget Defiance, I hear nothing but good things about them.

Have both Surgeon 591 and Stiller Tac30 and have to say I lean more towards the Surgeon..

Appears Surgeon is getting the love here.
BTW, Surgeon built my entire rifle. It is a LA in 300WM and all I can say about how it shoots is WOW!
I bought it slightly used her on SH. Upon firing the first shot, I realized the "chainsaw" bolt knob had to go. Bleeding on my new beauty was not going to be an option for me. I called Surgeon to buy a different know and, after a good discussion with a most friendly lady, tried to order (and pay for) a different knob. My money was no good there she said and the new knob was in hand within a week. Great service in my opinion.

The Surgeon 591R action is excellent. I have absolutely no issues with it. The feeding is smooth, the integral lug and rail is efficient, and it's a strong action. I've got no complaints whatsoever.

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like everyone is for the Surgeon.

I can not review the Surgeon action since I do not own one. I do have 3 Stiller actions and I could not be more pleased. The guys at Stillers (Russ, Jerry and Curtis) have all been more than helpful with any question I have ever had. Their customer service is as good as I have ever seen in the custom gun/parts industry.

I have two of each; its hard to say which is best. They offer different options, so to me its apples and oranges. I like the fact that I can get either a 20 MOa or a 35MOA base for my Stiller. Then again, I like the built in recoil lug and 20MOA rail on my Surgeon. Apples and Oranges.

I have owned my Surgeons longer (my oldest is serial number 0000084, and was built by Terry Cross at KMW); my 7 Dakota (delivered in the next week or two) is my most recent Stiller.

JeffVN

have both . The surgeon in 260 w/ krieger 1:8 26" and manners stock bought it during last years group buy.

the stiller is the tac338 w/ a krieger 1:9.3 28" and manners t5. both kick ass.

Here is the problem My buddy still beats me during matches shooting a sako 260 and some old man running a 6.5 sweede beats us both in fact he always wins and its bullshit cus I have a more expensive rifle than he does. More money thrown at something always makes it better.

Now my 338 stiller kicks even more ass and cost a bit less than the surgeon. It was built a bit on the heavy side as to make the 338 lapua "fun" to shoot in longer strings.

I like them both and they both are way better shooters than I am. I say buy whatever you want cus you can't take it with you.

have both -- Surgeon 591R is my leaning, by far...