• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Stiller TAC 30 AW compatibility with AICS magazines

NICKNICK

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2012
I saw a post where someone had problems with the flutes on the bolt of the Stiller TAC 30 catching the lips of an AICS mag if there was any pressure applied to the bottom of the magazine.

I'm not sure what the physical difference is between a TAC 30 and a TAC 30 AW, but if the magwell cut is bigger on the AW unit, is the problem of the flutes catching the magazine more likely?

I'm looking at the TAC 30 or TAC 30 AW to be used with an AICS stock/chassis. The only thing I really want from the AW magazine is the ability to top load, which isn't a huge deal to me. Is there any drawback to the TAC 30 AW? If it would inhibit function with a regular AICS magazine, it wouldn't be worth it to me. If there is no functional problem, then the TAC 30 AW seems to be the only way to go.

Thanks!

I have run both through my tac30aw and I noticed that the bolt rubs on the feed lips if the rifle is supported by the mag. I checked on a friends rifle who has a trued 700 it's the same. In most cases there isn't a stop for the mag to keep moving into the rifle and avoid coming into contact with the bolt.

With my AW mags I notice it less, but I think that's because the front of the mag actually contacts the action.

I have run both through my tac30aw and I noticed that the bolt rubs on the feed lips if the rifle is supported by the mag. I checked on a friends rifle who has a trued 700 it's the same. In most cases there isn't a stop for the mag to keep moving into the rifle and avoid coming into contact with the bolt.

With my AW mags I notice it less, but I think that's because the front of the mag actually contacts the action.

Do you notice it with 5 round as well as 10 round mags? Does the 5 round stop against the stock?

It's the same on the 5 and 10, but seems worse on the 10 because it has more of a propensity to press against things.

It doesn't hit the stock and looking at the inlet for the 30AW I don't see how you could inlet a stock to stop the mag. The bolt stops the mag.

I saw a post where someone had problems with the flutes on the bolt of the Stiller TAC 30 catching the lips of an AICS mag if there was any pressure applied to the bottom of the magazine.

I initially had the AICS mag bind with out pressure placed on the mag with my AICS 2.0 stock but now that I have bedded it, it is no longer an issue. However, I am not yet certain my AW mags will feed 100%... still testing and verifying.

Last edited:
I initially had the AICS mag bind with out pressure placed on the mag with my AICS 2.0 stock but now that I have bedded it, it is no longer an issue. However, I am not yet certain my AW mags will feed 100%... still testing and verifying.

Do you have the TAC 30 or the TAC 30 AW?

It's the same on the 5 and 10, but seems worse on the 10 because it has more of a propensity to press against things.

It doesn't hit the stock and looking at the inlet for the 30AW I don't see how you could inlet a stock to stop the mag. The bolt stops the mag.

If the bolt stops the magazine, does it matter what the receiver cut is? Would there be a difference with the TAC 30 vs. the TAC 30 AW?

I guess I never noticed the magazine stopping against the bolt. I just assumed the lip on the bottom of the magazine stopped against the bottom of the stock. My bolt's not fluted, so I guess I never paid much attention to it.

If the bolt stops the magazine, does it matter what the receiver cut is? Would there be a difference with the TAC 30 vs. the TAC 30 AW?

The feed lips on the A/W mag butt up against the bottom of the action inlet (the action itself, not speaking of the stock inlet), the front may also... I have not looked there.

I guess I never noticed the magazine stopping against the bolt. I just assumed the lip on the bottom of the magazine stopped against the bottom of the stock. My bolt's not fluted, so I guess I never paid much attention to it.

I don't think there is a difference, but the bolt does seem to stop the single feed mags. You don't really notice it until you put pressure on the mag.

Check it out for yourself.

Iggy--what stock were you using where you see this problem. On an AICS with a 700 I'm only seeing about .010" of movement in the mag when I pull down and when I push up on it. It seems to be stopping on the action or the bottom of the chassis. I don't see any wear on the bolt or feed lips from contact.

I think I'm going to have to find a ten round mag to play with--it's probably easier to see the problems with that one.

Nick with a 700 the mag will contact the bolt ramps and stop. In the Tac30AW those are not there to help the wider AW mags fit and feed.

In either case, if you press on the mag with the bolt closed the feed lips will make contact.

I have a McMillan A3.